Olympus 7-14mm 2.8 Filter Discussion

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
Presumably that's a 'speed booster' which means it's no longer 14mm. IIRC the combination of 14mm + booster =~9.5mm filter requirements for that would be more demanding than the lens alone.
Yes, it's at 10mm f/2 so suspecting wide aperture. But it also happens at 14mm @ f/2.8 with the Nikon D810 I tested. Similar symptom as the reviewer with the 14-24 f/2.8 Nikkor experienced which can be fixed in Photoshop. @f/4 and up; no problems.

Last edited:

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I understand the whole system and I'm sure it's great if you have multiple systems. Obviously the WonderPana system is created for more professional needs and I don't say that their system is not worth the money. It is just not worth my money, because it looks very unwieldy on a P7-14 (which is what I own). I just wonder (and will test once I find the time) whether you can get away with 95mm or 105mm circular filters without vignetting on the P7-14 or possibly on the O7-14 (although that is not as much of my concern). Reasonable quality filters cost in the region of 100-120€ for that size (Haida Pro) with high quality filters being so expensive, that the WonderPana System becomes more attractive.

Basically, what I'm saying is, is that there is no good filter option for the money conscious user. Maybe the assumption is, that people who can afford the O7-14 can afford the filters as well. I'm not quite sure how the aperture plays into the whole vignetting thing and would love it if you could explain. After all I'm here to learn.

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
I understand the whole system and I'm sure it's great if you have multiple systems. Obviously the WonderPana system is created for more professional needs and I don't say that their system is not worth the money. It is just not worth my money, because it looks very unwieldy on a P7-14 (which is what I own). I just wonder (and will test once I find the time) whether you can get away with 95mm or 105mm circular filters without vignetting on the P7-14 or possibly on the O7-14 (although that is not as much of my concern). Reasonable quality filters cost in the region of 100-120€ for that size (Haida Pro) with high quality filters being so expensive, that the WonderPana System becomes more attractive.

Basically, what I'm saying is, is that there is no good filter option for the money conscious user. Maybe the assumption is, that people who can afford the O7-14 can afford the filters as well. I'm not quite sure how the aperture plays into the whole vignetting thing and would love it if you could explain. After all I'm here to learn.
From what I heard from Vincent Versace and from other manufacturers like Canon and Nikon that light is only evenly distributed across the sensor when the lens is stopped down at f/8 and f/11. Known as a sweet spot of the lens so you can actually get by with a smaller filter ring. The smaller the filter system, the more affordable it is. At much wider apertures like f/2.8, f/2 and f/1.4, you will be prone to vignetting. This is the fear with a lot landscape shooters out there. The official Samyang filter adapter for my Samyang 14mm is much larger and deeper than the WonderPana and this kit obviously addresses all shooting conditions. Mine do not and there are limitations with the Fotodiox system in full frame with my Nikon and 10mm with my E-P5 at f/2. But I know the type of landscape photography I do most and I don't really need the larger official kit which I know some serious shooters use, but the glass are harder to get and I need to pay lots to import to Canada. So ask yourself this question; what sort of lighting you shoot most. Do you need a baffle to shield light and reduce flare? Can you get by with a smaller system but risk in the future of exceeding its limitations in situations that demand a larger kit? Only you can decide. I merely recommend the WonderPana system because despite it does vignette at 14mm in full frame and a little bit @10mm f/2, you can fix that in Photoshop and save size and weight. @$319 US with the Core Kit you get 2 ND filters and 1 CPL. The CPL is pretty good quality glass.

It's up to you on how much you want to spend. I am not even sure if WonderPana is available for the new 2.8 Oly. Again, I'm wondering if anyone here has a f/2.8 Oly with a 100mm system that truly works. Or they are transposing their F/4 7-14 experience as it will apply to an f/2.8 lens. As with my experience with a f/2.8 and full frame Nikon body, it does vignette and hence my recommendation. The official much larger Samyang filter holder will not vignette and has light baffle to reduce flare.

Last edited:

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks for the info. I hope we didn't hi-jack this thread too much and that the OP learned something as did I. My current lens is the p7-14 and it is unlikely to get upgraded much further than that with diminishing returns on these kinds of lenses, so I'll probably see how far I can push it with smaller filters.

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
LEE makes 100mm square CPL's for 200EU, imo very reasonable price for that size.
Yes. I think in Europe, it should be reasonable. But I had priced it in Canadian dollars with the 1.42x exchange rate, import fees and customs and it is not cheap. If I were to get the 2 other ND filters, I would pay more than the WonderPana core kit that I can get here. So probably a deal by country/region if you go with 100mm. Interesting though. Thanks.

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
Thanks for the info. I hope we didn't hi-jack this thread too much and that the OP learned something as did I. My current lens is the p7-14 and it is unlikely to get upgraded much further than that with diminishing returns on these kinds of lenses, so I'll probably see how far I can push it with smaller filters.
I just realized some of us do not reside in North America. In Europe, 100mm filters seemed cheaper?!?

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yup, I'm european as well. Nice to hear that we get something cheap. Some of the camera or lens deals in the US are just unfair compared to european pricing. Canada seems to get the short end of the stick pretty often as well...

cyrax83

Mu-43 Regular

cyrax83

Mu-43 Regular
Looks like there is 2 current solutions on the market - working with 100mmx100mm filters with both saying no vignetting at 7mm as long as you don't rotate the filter as at 7mm length it uses the full 100mm filter

1. photosphere.sg - PhotosphereSG Filter Solution for Olympus m.ZD ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO lens

2. 7-14filter - "Zu" adapter for M.Zuiko 7-14mm f2,8
dpreview thread 3D printed MZD 7-14 Lee 100mm holder adapter works!: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
youtube

3. Haida 150 system
Haida 150 Series Filter Holder Set for Olympus M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm 2.8 PRO Lens - 150 Series Filter System - Products

Anyone game to try?

cyrax83

Mu-43 Regular
I did see that thread too. Can you report back on how it performs?
I also wonder how the screws work, would it damage the lens hood?

The photosphere.sg solutions seems to be the next "economical", for $150 SGD you get the Haida filter holder and mount for 7-14 and no vignetting at 7mm

Enzojz

Mu-43 Rookie
Hello Cyrax83,

I have just seen your message on dpreview, and replied it.

The solution from PhotosphereSG that using foams to make adapter looks a very clever idea, however, in my opinion it needs improvement. It's not rotatable on the holder, and has no reliable design to assure the positioning and alignment of holder when using it.

It seems also more expansive than my solution.

Currently some users on "Olympus OM-D Worldwide shooters" on facebook use my solution also there is a german user uses the solution form PhotosphereSG, you could ask them their opinions. I am very confident with my solution since nearly all feedback I got are positive.

Last edited:

IRsteve

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi guys, I'm going to come into possession of an Olympus 7-14 2.8 pro and want to figure out a way to use filters

The filters I currently have are below that I use with the 12-40 and 40-150:
1. Haida 77mm circular screw in 6 stop ND filter
2. Haida 77mm circular screw in 10 stop ND filter
3. Hoya 77mm Circular CPL filter
4. Cokin P series holder and bunch of step up rings with Hitech 85x110mm (3.35"x4.35") Grad ND filters (3 filters)

Any ideas if there's any chance of these things being compatible somehow?
You can modify a standard P series filter holder to fit the 7-14. You need to carefully shave the inner circular portion of the holder to match the 79mm diameter of the hood. You'll also need to shave off some material (on about a 45º angle) from the front of the holder to reduce the slight vignetting. The only downside is that when pushing the holder onto the hood it changes the finish slightly.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

MillsArt

Mu-43 Regular
I'd simply buy the Panasonic 8-18mm zoom, which takes filters, or the new 7.5mm f2, which takes 46mm filters, if one regularly makes use of things like a ND filter for creating longer exposure times.

The 7-14 is a great lens, but the lack of an easy way to use filters makes it kind of a deal breaker for me, since I often want to get a long exposure to blur water etc.

Its quite frustrating too, because on the EM1.2 with its amazing IBIS, you could handhold 2+ seconds at 7mm, so handheld blurred waterfalls and such would be entirely doable, but with the 7-14, your stuck trying to shoot at f22 and not over expose the scene, or you need to invest in the very expensive large square filters, makeshift filter holders which are a pain to carry around etc

I figure my 12-100 handles the 12mm+ range quite well, so a lens like the 8-18 would be kind of a poor value, giving me only 8-12mm add focal length over what I already have, and for $1000, that is kind of pricey.

I'm on the waiting list for the 7.5mm, which I think should work great, since its threaded, takes a tiny filter, and is so small/light in the bag. I'm of course missing out of 16-24mm equiv range. but I think I can either crop the Loawa slightly, move closer, or just shoot the scene a little tighter with the 12-100.

What I'd totally pay good money for though is if Olympus came out with a 7-14/2.8 mkII version, which was threaded for a normal filter, and that also has OIS, allowing for Sync IS. Handheld 5-10 second exposures at 7mm anyone ?

IRsteve

Mu-43 Rookie
I'd simply buy the Panasonic 8-18mm zoom, which takes filters, or the new 7.5mm f2, which takes 46mm filters, if one regularly makes use of things like a ND filter for creating longer exposure times.

The 7-14 is a great lens, but the lack of an easy way to use filters makes it kind of a deal breaker for me, since I often want to get a long exposure to blur water etc.

Its quite frustrating too, because on the EM1.2 with its amazing IBIS, you could handhold 2+ seconds at 7mm, so handheld blurred waterfalls and such would be entirely doable, but with the 7-14, your stuck trying to shoot at f22 and not over expose the scene, or you need to invest in the very expensive large square filters, makeshift filter holders which are a pain to carry around etc

I figure my 12-100 handles the 12mm+ range quite well, so a lens like the 8-18 would be kind of a poor value, giving me only 8-12mm add focal length over what I already have, and for $1000, that is kind of pricey.

I'm on the waiting list for the 7.5mm, which I think should work great, since its threaded, takes a tiny filter, and is so small/light in the bag. I'm of course missing out of 16-24mm equiv range. but I think I can either crop the Loawa slightly, move closer, or just shoot the scene a little tighter with the 12-100.

What I'd totally pay good money for though is if Olympus came out with a 7-14/2.8 mkII version, which was threaded for a normal filter, and that also has OIS, allowing for Sync IS. Handheld 5-10 second exposures at 7mm anyone ?
Just received my Laowa 7.5mm last week with the hopes that it would be good enough to replace my 7-14. Unfortunately, although it's a decent lens, the edges are quite soft even stopped down and the contrast is lower than the 7-14. For that reason I decided to keep the 7-14 and be a bit more creative in finding a use for all my P series grads.

Hi guys, I'm going to come into possession of an Olympus 7-14 2.8 pro and want to figure out a way to use filters

The filters I currently have are below that I use with the 12-40 and 40-150:
1. Haida 77mm circular screw in 6 stop ND filter
2. Haida 77mm circular screw in 10 stop ND filter
3. Hoya 77mm Circular CPL filter
4. Cokin P series holder and bunch of step up rings with Hitech 85x110mm (3.35"x4.35") Grad ND filters (3 filters)

Any ideas if there's any chance of these things being compatible somehow?

I use nisi 100 filters. Phil Norton makes an adapter that he uses on his 7-14. The 100mm are much cheaper and fit in with a micro four thirds system better than the 150mm

I ordered his adapter, but have not received. It is on the way to the states rm across the pond.

Olympus 7-14 Pro Adapter & 100mm Filters: Phil Norton Photography

Is the url. He posts many pics to the Facebook groups on microfour thirds landscape.

You do need a nisi holder, but it will work with and 100mm filter

I got the Haida system here on mu-43 and then purchased a bunch of other 100mm filters from the Haida supplier here in Canada (Ottawa). They fit just fine using the adapter that I also got here (PhotosphereSG adapter). It is a spongelike adapter that holds the Haida system. It is less expensive than the NISI system that has had very good reviews. I've had no problems with the Haida system and haven't noticed any of the problems of light leaks that some claim to have experienced. I carry some gaffer tape just in case (to block off any light from above and the sides.)

The only thing I found it that unlike some other filter system so far with the Haida I've only been able to set it up for two filters. Apparently others can house 3, although I suspect that there would be some vignetting with 3 filters when shooting from 7mm to about 9mm.

Enzojz

Mu-43 Rookie
I got the Haida system here on mu-43 and then purchased a bunch of other 100mm filters from the Haida supplier here in Canada (Ottawa). They fit just fine using the adapter that I also got here (PhotosphereSG adapter). It is a spongelike adapter that holds the Haida system. It is less expensive than the NISI system that has had very good reviews. I've had no problems with the Haida system and haven't noticed any of the problems of light leaks that some claim to have experienced. I carry some gaffer tape just in case (to block off any light from above and the sides.)

The only thing I found it that unlike some other filter system so far with the Haida I've only been able to set it up for two filters. Apparently others can house 3, although I suspect that there would be some vignetting with 3 filters when shooting from 7mm to about 9mm.
Maybe you could have a look at this one for Haida, no vignette even for rotation.

glad to here there is another option besided Phil's. Lee does make a 150mm and 100mm holder for the olympus 7-14, but unlike Phil's and the Haida, you lose the wider angles with the 100mm lee adapter (you lose nothing with the 150mm, but you have to buy and carry 150mm filters)

Enzojz

Mu-43 Rookie
glad to here there is another option besided Phil's. Lee does make a 150mm and 100mm holder for the olympus 7-14, but unlike Phil's and the Haida, you lose the wider angles with the 100mm lee adapter (you lose nothing with the 150mm, but you have to buy and carry 150mm filters)
Lee's own adapter is not good, but that doesn't mean the same other adapter for Lee. With my adapter version for Lee 100mm it's no vignette and rotatable too @ 7mm, which out performs Phil's adapter + nisi holder.

In fact Phil himself is the second buyer's of my adapter for Lee after it's release, before he became a vendor of nisi filters.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom