1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 7-14mm 2.8 Filter Discussion

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by cyrax83, Nov 29, 2015.

1. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Hi guys, I'm going to come into possession of an Olympus 7-14 2.8 pro and want to figure out a way to use filters

The filters I currently have are below that I use with the 12-40 and 40-150:
    1. Haida 77mm circular screw in 6 stop ND filter
    2. Haida 77mm circular screw in 10 stop ND filter
    3. Hoya 77mm Circular CPL filter
    4. Cokin P series holder and bunch of step up rings with Hitech 85x110mm (3.35"x4.35") Grad ND filters (3 filters)

Any ideas if there's any chance of these things being compatible somehow?

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I think nothing from your list will fit Oly 7-14mm/f2.8
    Check these "Zu" adapters, though I have some reservations about filters safety if adapter slides or gets knocked off..

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

7-14 doesn't take filters.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Bummer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Lens glass is too curved for filters. In the center you are shooting at right angle to the filter. That is definitely not the case by the time you get to the edges of the lens. Good chance you will get a vignette look if you wanted one or not.

6. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Oh damn. I'd crave to get an ND on this bad boy at 7mm without vignette somehow.
    The question then becomes, shoot landscape @ 12mm with the 12-40 2.8 with filter, or 7mm without filter haha

7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Lens angle is 114 degree diagonal at 7mm, so with ND filter we are talking Log(1/cos(114/2), 2) ~= 0.9 stop vignetting in extreme corners and much less on sides. Not bad value, for example Olympus 12mm prime at f2.0 has 1.49 stops vignetting in extreme corners

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    For years I have only carried a CPL and strong ND. The ND is only to drop light to smooth out water in a stream, waterfall, or at the beach. The CPL I only use if there is glare or very bad haze. So I have a filter only a very low percentage of the time. The LR Dehaze tool and similar ones in Photo 10 and other apps/plugs can do an amazing job or cleaning up, or adding haze these days.

9. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Polarizing filters generally don't work well with wide angles (whater the curveture) as the the polaristion in the sky varies significantly with dirrection.

Although the 7-14 doesn't have filer threads it might be possible to attach gel type filters to give the effect of an ND filter. I know of someone who used gels to fit IR filters behind a fisheye lens that couldn't take filters. The results looked very good to me :)

I've ended up holding filters in front of some of my lenses that don't take filters, if the filter is big enough the results can be reasonable. I suspect Cokin P wouldn't be near big enough though.

10. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I have been thinking of 3D printing an adapter for the Panasonic 7-14. I've not really gone into any proper construction phase other than some quick tests with a piece of wood to give me an idea about the size. What I found out, is that 77mm is by far too small to use at 7mm on the Panasonic (and likely worse on the Olympus). My maths tells me that 95mm is the absolute minimum. Cokin P filters might work, if you find a way to adapt it. My current Idea for a Filter holder is to create a ring with a growing inner diameter, as it need to hold tightly (for friction) on the lens, but needs to get further out, where the lens hood opens on the sides. I've seen that these guys (photosphere.sg - Haida 100mm Slot-in Filter System) have a filter solution for the P7-14 and O7-14 but I would prefer not to spend as much money and also prefer circular filters.

11. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    You need at least a 145mm filter thread to get your 7-14mm take filters that won't vignette. To do that, you need to order a Fotodiox WonderPana filter adapter system that will convert your non-filter UWA lens to accept 145mm screw in filters, Cokin XL system and the Formatt-Hitech filters. Choose the right WonderPana system. They sell one for Panasonic 7-14 and Olympus 4/3 7-14, but I think the 7-14 f/2.8 is coming soon. They are about $400 for the ND kit and about $1500-1700 for the full kit with specialized for UWA CPL and glass graduated filters. If you want even better quality, you may pay about $1000 or more for more of this glass. Not cheap.

12. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Fotodiox beat you to it. Their WonderPana system is friction fit that allows both screw in 145mm filters, Cokin P-XL system. Their basic kit without filters is about $225 and $350 with 2 ND kit. $500 for ND, CPL UWA and Cokin XL adapter and 1 Graduated filter. They have versions for all popular UWA lenses including my Samyang 14mm 2.8 full frame, Panasonic 7-14 and Oly 4/3 7-14f/4.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I'm not really sure about this 145mm requirement. To me the wonderpana system was always a bit of a waste for micro four thirds. It is oversized and saying that that size is needed is (by my calculations) wrong. There are systems that work on 100mm slot in filters that don't vignette and that people have build themselves or the one that I linked to. 145mm might be a requirement because larger front elements in full frame lenses will require even bigger filters, but the systems seems to be a bad choice for m43.

14. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Perhaps it is, but I think they are building a standard system to adapt to all lenses so you standardize on just one thread system and also @f/4, it won't vignette with smaller than 145mm diameter. But at @f/2.8, it will slightly. I tested it with my own with Samyang 14mm f/2.8 with the booster which essentially giving me f/2.
    The only other lens that does have f/2.8 is the new Oly.

15. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    For Pany 7-14, with reduced hood bringing filters just 1-2mm to front element, the minimum requirement is 90-95mm for circular filters and only 67x85mm for rectangular ones - my DIY mod.
    100mm square filters work fine with unmodified Oly and Pany 7-14 because they are 140mm at diagonals.
    IMO circular filters is wrong way for UWA, so I'd look into adapters for 100mm square filter systems.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  16. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Square filters sure have advantages if you want to use NDgrads. I personally am not fussed enough to use them, considering you often don't have a clear horizon line anyway. I'll do that in Post and shoot a bracket if necessary. The reason I want to 3D print the filter is that I am not really keen on paying 150€ for a filter holder. I don't mind the glass costing that much, but the holders seem overpriced. The Wonderpana is fine though, especially if you're using it with a FF lens. It's just out of my price range in general. I will post a thread once I've managed to create a working prototype, probably including the 3D printer file.

17. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I prefer a filter system that takes both square and filter thread for which the WonderPana does. Here's the video why the WonderPana cost a bit much. It's metal and has a locking ring..

Listen to the review that @ f/2.8, and while it does vignette with the 145mm filter system @f/2.8, I found it's not all that serious that Photoshop can't rescue. Now, that doesn't mean 100mm won't work. They work, but they work only for their own personal requirements. Commercial filter adapters are made to address all requirements not just your own!

Now comes circular polarizer. I just find it absurd when people start commenting how useless circular polarizers are and when you can't use them because they can cause uneven polarization with the sky using UWA lenses like the 7-14. However, when used properly to remove reflection from water and foliage as what CPL does very well and you can't do that with Photoshop quite well, this is where they shine. And yes, that's why I like using CPL with UWA and you can't do that with a square system that I can think of at a reasonable cost. You can only do it with a threaded circular system. And personally, I like to keep my lens clean and scratch free as possible so I can resell it later on. These days, your lens value plummets if there are scratches, sawed off petals and even any DIY mods done to it.

The cost of the WonderPana systems will drop if you buy the kit with their own brand polarizer and ND filter kits. Their optics aren't all that bad.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  18. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    Found the Photosphere 100mm filter adapter for the 7-14 2.8 on Instagram of all places, but it looks very promising: PhotosphereSG Filter Solution for Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 PRO Lens

At just over $100 USD its pretty reasonable (includes the filter holder). Not sure what it would cost to ship to the USA from Singapore, though...

19. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    LEE makes 100mm square CPL's for 200EU, imo very reasonable price for that size.

20. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Presumably that's a 'speed booster' which means it's no longer 14mm. IIRC the combination of 14mm + booster =~9.5mm filter requirements for that would be more demanding than the lens alone.