1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus 7-14 vs Panasonic 7-14

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ArizonaMike, May 11, 2018.

1. ArizonaMike

ArizonaMike Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    I have been using an Olympus 9-18 lens for some landscape photos at some of the US National Parks and have been so pleased with the extra width that it gave me over my 12-40 that I was thinking about buying a 7-14 to use instead of the 9-18.

I have looked at the online specs of the Olympus and the Panasonic and, aside from the Olympus being slightly faster (f/2.8 vs f/4) than the Panasonic I was wondering if there were any other significant differences. The Panasonic is almost half the price of the Olympus, so perhaps someone who has used both or knows about both can give me some guidance here.

Budget is always an issue with me, but I will be trading my Olympus 12-100 in for it, so neither lens is totally out of the question. If you were thinking about getting one of these which would you get? And why? I would be using one of these on an E-M1.2, if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. Acraftman

Acraftman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    I have the Olympus and can only give you my experience with that and that is I think its a great all around piece of kit, I shoot a lot out doors but I am a cabinet maker by trade and really appreciate the extra low light capabilities for indoor use, I also used it quite a bit for street shooting and again the extra stop does help for late night shots.I had a f4 nikon wide angle prior to my 4/3 and just really have fun with these lenses.

This past weekend shot at 7mm 1/5 sec handheld.
    custom settings-8.
    E-M5MarkII    OLYMPUS M.7-14mm F2.8    7mm    f/14.0    1/5s    ISO 200

• Like Like x 6
  3. mossie

mossie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    Panasonic 7-14 is prone to purple blobs on Olympus bodies. There is a mod to add a filter in the back. Otherwise it’s nice, small and sharp.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I ran a Panasonic 7-14 on Olympus bodies for several years. In many ways, it's a nice lens, but the purple blob problem is a real image-killer in some situations. The rear filter fix is effective, but it has its own challenges in terms of sourcing the holder and the Wratten filters (the latter being a big challenge). It's also pretty poor when shooting into the light - you can get some really horrible veiling flare and a host of ugly streaks of varying colours. Not good at all for into-the-sun landscape shots.

I'm now using the Panasonic 8-18 which is a superb lens. Definitely the best of the m43 UWAs IMHO.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I have the 9-18 and the Oly 7-14. The 9-18 is small and good for travel, but the Oly 7-14 is a better lens. And those extra 2 mm make a huge difference, I nearly always take photos at 7mm. The 2.8 aperture makes indoor shots much easier. Given the purple blob issue, the Oly 7-14 is a good choice, despite cost and weight. And despite the Panasonic 8-18 getting praise, it is still only 8mm not 7mm, and in percentage terms that is a big difference.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    My first choice as an UWA would be the Panasonic 8-18. The Oly 7-14 is great but doesn't accept filters, and I like UWA + neutral density filter. (there are solutions but they are huge)
    Problem is... the 8-18 isn't as wide as the 7-14.
    Panny 7-14... there's this purple blobs thing... don't really know what to think about this.

For my use, I considered buying the 8-18 and use it as my main lens, but after seeing it, I found it too big. Same problem for the 7-14s.
    So in the end I kept my 9-18 and added the Laowa 7.5 to my lens set (just got it - seems sharp corner to corner, very small & light, accept filters, but it's not as convenient to use as an AF zoom)

I love my 9-18, but it's not very sharp in the corners... so that plus the fact that it is no *so* wide, I understand that you want to upgrade.
    With my criteria (except size, because they are all out if I take compactness into account), if I wanted to upgrade for a UWA zoom it would be:
    1. Panny 8-18 - 2. Oly 7-14 - 3. Panny 7-14.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. If it was me, I would keep the 12-100 and stitch the wide angle shots in LR. Most landscape shots (National Parks) are much more linear than vertical (there are exceptions of course).

8. ArizonaMike

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    That is a beautiful photo. Thank you for sharing.

One of the reasons I was considering the 7-14 is because it is a relatively fast lens, especially compared to my 9-18. It apparently has great color reproduction as well, judging by your photo.

9. ArizonaMike

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    A purple blob? Well, that can't be good, so I guess I should drop it from consideration. Thank you for letting me know.

10. ArizonaMike

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    Considering that I live in Arizona, where the sun is always too strong, and visit the Utah National Parks a lot, where the sun is also very strong, I guess a lens that is not particularly good for strong sun landscape shots is probably not a good choice for me, especially considering that I would be buying it mostly for landscape shots.

I had good luck with the 9-18, and it is a light lens, so that is helpful on long hikes in the summer heat.

11. ArizonaMike

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    The problem with the 12-100 is that it is just too heavy for long hikes in the canyons. It is OK for the first hour or two, especially when I am walking down into the canyon, but becomes an issue after the first couple of hours and then even more so when I am hiking back out of the canyon. The last time I went on a long hike at Bryce Canyon National Park I seriously wondered about my sense carrying my 5D3 and 24-105 lens in and back out.

So I now use an Olympus E-M1.2 instead of my old Canon FF precisely because of the lighter weight of the camera and lenses. The 12-100 is a great lens, but at more than a pound, it is just too heavy for me as I get older and older ...

12. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I think this purple blob issue is something that is just repeated without personal experience from many of the posters throughout the internet.

I've had the Panasonic 7-14 for 5 years, have more than 3,200 photos with this lens, and nary a one of them has purple blobs. Including some with the light source coming directly at the lens. If you are shooting into a light source you usually just change your angle or move a little bit and you can loose the blobs.

Here are your choices from the most expensive, largest, and heaviest to the least expensive, smallest, and lightest lens :
    Olympus 7-14mm, Panasonic Leica 8-18mm, Panasonic 7-14mm, and the Olympus 9-18

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Some examples taken at 7mm with the Olympus 7-14. Most of these would not be possible without getting to the full 7mm. I am very happy with it.

085%20CUC%20PHUONG%20Van%20Long%20lake.
    E-M1    OLYMPUS M.7-14mm F2.8    7mm    f/6.3    1/320s    ISO 200

271%20HO%20CHI%20MINH%20CITY%20Central%20Post%20Office.
    E-M1    OLYMPUS M.7-14mm F2.8    7mm    f/2.8    1/60s    ISO 250

0293%20TORQUAY.
    E-M1    OLYMPUS M.7-14mm F2.8    7mm    f/8.0    1/500s    ISO 200

0348%20Near%20COATES%20Wool-drying%20tower.
    E-M1    OLYMPUS M.7-14mm F2.8    7mm    f/5.0    1/200s    ISO 200

0358%20Near%20CHALFORD%20Canal.
    E-M1    OLYMPUS M.7-14mm F2.8    7mm    f/8.0    1/60s    ISO 500

207%20DAMBRI%20Waterfall.
    E-M1    OLYMPUS M.7-14mm F2.8    7mm    f/3.5    1/100s    ISO 200

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I would agree that there are many situations in which the purple ghosting isn't an issue, but there are some circumstances where it's a right PITA. I used the lens extensively for over three years so I do have a lot of personal experience.

The blobs can often be cloned out, but sometimes the ghosts are huge (e.g. a ghost of a window behind someone), and at other times it manifests just as a purple cast. The latter happens when shooting buildings against bright overcast skies for instance. It's almost impossible to fix.

It's not a complete deal breaker, but it's definitely something to consider.

15. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The Olympus 9-18 is also a fine lens when one doesn't need a really wide angle, here is an example with it at 9mm.

139%20LOS%20NUBES%20View.
    E-M1MarkII    OLYMPUS M.9-18mm F4.0-5.6    9mm    f/5.6    1/800s    ISO 200

• Like Like x 6
  16. ArizonaMike

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    That is a very nice photo. Thank you for posting it.

I have been quite happy with my copy of the Olympus 9-18 and, when I needed a wider FOV, I just used my Samyang 7.5mm fisheye and "de-fished" the image. I am not unhappy with either, but the Samyang requires extra work to produce rectilinear images from it. I end up having to update the missing exif lens data so that PhotoLab can correct the fisheye distortion, and sometimes I have to change the vertical scale to compensate for the compression that results in de-fishing the image. I am pleased with it, but it would be good to avoid having to do all of that work.

On the one hand I was surprised at how well the 9-18 was able to capture the formations at Arches National Park, but I can not help but think that wider would be better. My problem with the Olympus 7-14 is its weight. At 560+ grams it is heavier than the camera and on long hikes I worry that it will just be too much lens for me to comfortably carry in the heat of the US South West. These places often get well over 100 F (38 C) in the summer and the sun has a really draining effect, at least on me.

I was also begun to wonder about the Laowa 7.5mm as that produces rectilinear images and would not require the excessive distortion correction that the fisheye requires. It is a relatively light lens, half the price of the Olympus 7-14 and judging by the Samyang 7.5mm, it should not require much work to focus, especially at long distances. It almost seems like I am being spoiled for choices ...

17. ArizonaMike

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    Wonderful photos. Thank you. Where is the water fall?

18. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Three of the photos were from Vietnam.
    • Waterfall is at Dambri. (A beautiful but rather run-down place in the south of the country. There was a sign in the toilets asking for new investors, in case you are looking to make a big investment...)
    • The woman rowing the boat is at Van Long lake, at Cuc Phuong. (in the North)
    • The interior is the Central Post Office at Ho Chi Minh City (=Saigon).
    The 9-18 photo is from Mexico, Los Nubes. (The water really is that colour.)

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  19. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    Rectangular wider is better. If you have an Olympus body buy the matching branded lens.

20. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Since you have an E-M1 Mkii, the 8mm Pro fisheye is another option to consider. It’s much smaller and lighter than the Oly 7-14 Pro, and you also have the choice of fisheye or three de-fished views with the last firmware update. Even when fisheye compensation is used, its wider than the rectilinear lenses. It’s also very sharp. It’s suddenly become a far more useful and interesting lens.

Although I’ve never used the Panny for comparison, I have to admit I get purple blobs and lens flares on the Oly 7-14 Pro too. I think it’s just a product of shooting such wide lenses in the sun, but maybe it’s the frequency and degree that’s the problem with the Panny.

While I’d have liked to be able to use filters for my wide angle lenses too, Ive not bothered buying any because of how large they would be. It’s not just the special mount needed for the 7-14, its also the size of the sheets to cover the focal length without vignetting. So, I stick with my smaller Lee Seven 5 filter set, and use it with 12mm and longer focal lengths to make panoramas if I need to capture a wider view.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.