Olympus 7-14 F2.8 owners - filter question...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Zee, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

So, do any of you with the 7-14 F2.8 Pro have a 100mm filter handy? if it is held pretty much right up to the edge of the hood, does it fill the entire frame?

I know there is no filter holder, but I'm sure I can Ghetto Mod™ up a holder if I know that the filter covers the frame.

The sales guy in the shop I am buying from is reluctant to remove the lens from the box, as they don't have enough stock to put any on display, and doesn't want to risk damaging it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    100mm square or round? I think square one should do without vignetting even at 7mm and round will most likely vignette - Fotodiox WonderPana is using 145mm round filters for Pany 7-14.
  3. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Rectangular (Lee). Actually, the measurement is more like 100x145 (though 100mm is still the width using landscape view)... The one solid ND I have is 100mmx100mm...

4. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I tried with a 100x150 hitech grad. It does fill the frame.
  5. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thank you! So a bit of Backyard Engineering™ should fix it. The largest ring I can get for the Lee rip-off filter holder I have is 82mm, which is about 3mm more than I need, just need to work out a clamp system for the body using an 82mm ring attachment. I have a Dremel and power tools. What could possibly go wrong?

6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    My local camera store pretty much prices everything around B&H prices and I believe in buying local. So, I purchase all of my new gear from them when possible. But, if they would not let me open and see the lens (especially if I needed to answer a question like yours) I would find another shop or buy online.
  7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  8. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Normally, I'd agree, though this particular shop has been very good to me in the past, and it's more due to the sales guy on the shop floor at the time (it's a very small shop, usually only 1 person there) not having the owner available, nor the sales guy I normally deal with being there. He happily let me fondle the 40-150 Pro. I think it was a case of not having a demo to play with, and he was worried about the damaging a "for sale" lens.

I'll give them a pass for this one...

Thanks for that - I'll check it out and report back. Though, I'm still trying to work out if I'm going to pull the trigger on the 8mm fisheye Pro or the 7-14 Pro...

Edit - Having actually played with one yesterday, I do wonder why the hood is not removable (with a system similar to the 12-40Pro). There is actually a fair bit of clearance between the tip of the lens and the tip of the hood. If it were removable, or could be slide back a bit (like the 40-150 Pro/60mm macro) they could have put a ring thread on the tip of the hood, and made sure the hood slid back only far enough to still ensure clearance with filters - and it would have allowed for triple filter stacking.

Anyway, as it is, I'm not convinced I want to heck off the hood of a M.Z 7-14 pro, so I think I'll design a "clamping" systems that clamps to part of the lens body, though distancing would be critical, and I'd need to find a way to ensure the right position every time.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  9. Enzojz

Enzojz New to Mu-43

Aug 1, 2015

I have a thread here in dpreview

You could see the result.

As far I measured, you could have up to 2 filters for dark edge free, if you are working with Lee filter and let the lens to be as close as possible to the filter. If you are using Big Stopper, you need have to leave 2mm backward because of the sealing foam that will preventing you from inserting, in that condition, you will have a little dark edge in the frame up to 2 filters.

If you go customized filter slot, it's probable to to have 3 filters without dark edge, however it's very hard to design one for it. At the height of 3rd filter, the lens uses just the full width 100 so it's just in and out. My first slot prototype failed in this way, I am waiting for the 2nd prototype with a perhaps a working design but I am still not sure for it.

However, if you want to rotate it or a 105mm CPL with it, impossible.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015