Olympus 7-14 f2.8 and the E-M5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by quatchi, Nov 23, 2015.

1. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Hey,

I am about to buy the Oly 7-14. What is still holding me back (I already mentally parted from the huge amount of money, so thats not the issue :coco:), is my trusted old E-M5. I am very happy with the camera (and the additional grip) but in one review I read that the E-M5 has some issues with the Oly 7-14. No in camera CA correction if I recall it correctly. Unfortunately I cannot find the review again. Upgrading the camera, however, is not really an option. First of all I am happy with the E-M5 (as I said) and second, there is no other huge pile of money left in my account :crying:.

So, here is the question: Is someone of you using the 7-14 on the E-M5 and encountering any problems? Or even better: is someone of you using the combo and everything is working out fine?

---
    I just checked, the lastest firmware update for the E-M5 is from beginning of 2015 (version 2.1). So no update for the cam in regard to the 7-14.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I never found the lack of in camera CA correction on the E-M5 to be a problem, even with various Panasonic lenses. I never noticed the difference when I upgraded to the E-M1 either.
    Maybe it's because I've always shot RAW and process with the checkbox for Remove Chromatic Aberration ticked in ACR...

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Thanks for your reply. Do you also have the 7-14mm?
    So far I haven't come across any problems wit my E-M5. I am just asking because it was mentioned in a review (which I still cannot re-find).

4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Panasonic cameras correct CA in camera. Olympus does not afaik. I have the Oly 7-14 F4 and have used on the EM1 (not my EM5). I think all ultrawide lenses are a bit prone to getting CA and flaring, so I wouldn't base your decision on that. It's easily correctable in LR or other software. I believe I read that the Olympus version had slightly less than the Panny M43 version.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No, not that lens specifically sorry.

6. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I have the 7-14 2.8 and an EM5. I've been more than pleased with the combination! For handling with such a heavy lens mounted to the EM5, an add-on grip makes a world of difference. I don't notice much if any CA from the 7-14, even without correction in Lightroom. I see purple-ish flare from the 7-14, but its not as ruinous as the Panasonic 7-14 flare, and only happens under pretty specific conditions. I also see purple blobs from other lenses, even Olympus lenses, so its something in the EM5 design. I don't notice purple flare in others' images from the 7-14 on EM1 and EM5II bodies, but I can't say if the purple is dealt with by more careful composition, during editing, by automatic CA correction, differences in sensor and/or filter stack, or something else... At any rate, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 7-14.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Thanks for your replies! By now, my 7-14 is already shipped and on its way to me. :dance3: