1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus 7-14 f2.8 and the E-M5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by quatchi, Nov 23, 2015.

1. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Hey,

I am about to buy the Oly 7-14. What is still holding me back (I already mentally parted from the huge amount of money, so thats not the issue :coco:), is my trusted old E-M5. I am very happy with the camera (and the additional grip) but in one review I read that the E-M5 has some issues with the Oly 7-14. No in camera CA correction if I recall it correctly. Unfortunately I cannot find the review again. Upgrading the camera, however, is not really an option. First of all I am happy with the E-M5 (as I said) and second, there is no other huge pile of money left in my account :crying:.

So, here is the question: Is someone of you using the 7-14 on the E-M5 and encountering any problems? Or even better: is someone of you using the combo and everything is working out fine?

---
    I just checked, the lastest firmware update for the E-M5 is from beginning of 2015 (version 2.1). So no update for the cam in regard to the 7-14.

2. I never found the lack of in camera CA correction on the E-M5 to be a problem, even with various Panasonic lenses. I never noticed the difference when I upgraded to the E-M1 either.
    Maybe it's because I've always shot RAW and process with the checkbox for Remove Chromatic Aberration ticked in ACR...

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Thanks for your reply. Do you also have the 7-14mm?
    So far I haven't come across any problems wit my E-M5. I am just asking because it was mentioned in a review (which I still cannot re-find).

4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Panasonic cameras correct CA in camera. Olympus does not afaik. I have the Oly 7-14 F4 and have used on the EM1 (not my EM5). I think all ultrawide lenses are a bit prone to getting CA and flaring, so I wouldn't base your decision on that. It's easily correctable in LR or other software. I believe I read that the Olympus version had slightly less than the Panny M43 version.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. No, not that lens specifically sorry.

6. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I have the 7-14 2.8 and an EM5. I've been more than pleased with the combination! For handling with such a heavy lens mounted to the EM5, an add-on grip makes a world of difference. I don't notice much if any CA from the 7-14, even without correction in Lightroom. I see purple-ish flare from the 7-14, but its not as ruinous as the Panasonic 7-14 flare, and only happens under pretty specific conditions. I also see purple blobs from other lenses, even Olympus lenses, so its something in the EM5 design. I don't notice purple flare in others' images from the 7-14 on EM1 and EM5II bodies, but I can't say if the purple is dealt with by more careful composition, during editing, by automatic CA correction, differences in sensor and/or filter stack, or something else... At any rate, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 7-14.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Thanks for your replies! By now, my 7-14 is already shipped and on its way to me. :dance3:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.