Olympus 60mm Macro

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DIS Ottawa, May 28, 2012.

1. DIS Ottawa

DIS Ottawa Guest

Has anyone any idea when this lens will be announced/available for purchase? I expected it to be announced at the same time as the 75mm but nope, no word that I'm aware of.

Has Olympus said anything at all about this lens recently?
  2. Stubb

Stubb Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    I haven't head anything but am eagerly awaiting an announcement as well.

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    I have been told it won't come out until late 2012, like October or later. Makes sense as they don't want it to compete with the 12-50, which has a macro function. This is what I was told by an authorized Olympus dealer that I trust.
  4. ageha

ageha Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    The 12-50mm is out for some time already and I doubt a video zoom kit lens takes away sales from a premium macro prime lens.
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    No. Original announcement says by the end of 2012. My guess would be later rather than sooner, or it would have received some attention with the 75/1.8 recently.

6. DIS Ottawa

DIS Ottawa Guest

Well, that's not very encouraging. I was hoping it would be along soonish as nothing I have in m43 is any good for macro shots.

When I bought the E-M5 I took the kit with the 12-50mm as I had heard it did quite good macro. I'm very disappointed with the performance of this lens, including the macro function. I think I got a poor copy.
  7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    It takes away from kit sales , consumers more likely to opt for body only E-M5, this gives Olympus the opportunity to get greater penetration with the 12-50. I doubt as many would have sold if it didn't include a macro function, perception is more bang for your buck with more features. Not everyone cares about video either, and that is not the only feature of this lense. I'd say the biggest feature that appeals to people is the 12mm wide end, it sure isn't the aperture. Also, it is Olympus's first native macro lense to be put on the market. Oh and it's available. Nothing like waiting for something that has no price or release date, dont discount the value of I can use it now vs I'd like to use it if it comes.
  8. It's also the only weather sealed native lens available, which is a BIG factor! It certainly offers way more than any previous m43 kit lens, despite the aperture.
  9. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    It's a strange lens mostly by virtue of the slow aperture and length. It is however a pretty fun lens, I like the features and hope the extra function button and manual/ mechanical zoom function is added to other lenses.
  10. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    This lens is tops on my "want" list. As anxious as I am to get one, I appreciate the time to save up for it. :)
  11. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I kinda figured it would be released later than expected so I got a used PL 45mm Macro to hold me over.
  12. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I have a boat load of macro's, but I'm still excited and putting this one at the top of my "must have" list.
  13. ageha

ageha Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    How do you like it so far?
  14. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Just picked it up a couple a days ago and only played around with it today as my OM-D finally today so no in depth review. As for initial impressions, its sharp, AF is quick with Limit Focus (great for quick smaps) but slow with Full Focus (not a problems since most use MF when getting real close). I had rattling initially but it went away.

I thought it was good deal for a mint copy at $500.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ageha

ageha Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I guess so. I paid more for my copy over one year ago but Singaporean prices are higher anyway.
  16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Still, I would have preferred this focal range in a smaller package (weather sealed) and gladly sacrificed macro capability. As it is, I only really see myself using it in poor weather. Until the 12-35 comes out. A more compact 12-50-ish constant F4 zoom would also hit the spot - my 24-105L is a fantastic travel lens on the 5DII.
  17. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    IMVHO I would strongly advise against buying one without trying it.

Working distance, front element to objest is likely to be very small.

The Panasonic Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro has a working distance of approx. 60mm @ 1:1, that was the reason I sent it back.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    You think that's short, you should have seen my old 35/3.5! That lens was difficult to light at 1:1; the lens barrel would shade my flash.

The 45 has been a great focal length for macro to me. It's got enough WD for bugs and to light with flash, its FL is short enough to get good DOF even at f/5.6, and it's wide enough to get more than just your subject in frame.

Interesting macro photos have an interesting subject, but great macro photos have an interesting subject and a background to lend context. I find the wider the lens the easier it is to avoid the trap of the macro abstract. It's neat to show the detail in a bee's face, but showing a bee with its face buried in a flower is interesting beyond the mere taxonomical.

I'm definitely interested in the 60/2.8, but I don't think I'd want a macro lens much longer than that. In fact, I'd be happiest if it were one of those macro lenses whose effective focal length got shorter as you racked towards full extension, like Canon's 100/2.8.

One thing is for sure: the magnification scale on the barrel sure is cool!
  19. shanghaishots

shanghaishots Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    new york/shanghai
  20. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    I like the 45mm macro, but do not use it commonly at near 1:1. I am rather puzzled by the referenced preview and the 1:1 switch that has to be rotated and held to go to 1:1 as stated in the preview. This could be a royal pain.