olympus 60mm Macro vs Bokina?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by datagov, Jan 13, 2013.

1. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    I often think about being on of these lenses - the classic Tokina 90mm 2.5 or the Olympus 60mm Macro. The Bokina has an amazing reputation of super image quality center to edge, close to infinity. Has anyone tested the Bokina in comparison to the Olympus? Is image quality similar? Is Bokeh in the same league?
  2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Had the Tokina, sold it to acquire the 60mm so unfortunately I couldn't do a side by side. The Tokina is a amazing lens, in terms of pure macro use it is probably a better choice than the 60mm. The working distance is noticeably longer and I personally found its extra weight easier to hold steady. Obviously the 60mn is a much better all around lens, AF with limiter, size/weight(other than noted above) weather sealed.

So far IQ wise, wide open the 60mm is better, stopped down I doubt there is much difference. I haven't had much of a chance to really examine the bokeh of the 60mm yet but the Tokina was certainly smooth.

I mainly wish the 60mm was longer, its working distance is about as short as I would want it to be. I am contemplating requiring the Tokina for straight macro use.
  3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    I have both lenses the Bokina is listed here for sale. Didn't really compare the 2 but I did take a few pictures with the 90mm - very sharp. Not sure hpw the 60mm compares as far as bokeh. Maybe tomorrow I'll test them.
  4. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    I don't know what the 60mm 2.8 Macro is like, but I just scored a Tokina AT-X 90mm 2.5 from ebay for $35. Merchant sold it with a Pentax K1000 in AS IS condition and I won the auction for 19.99 + shipping. Lens outside is in Good condition. Focus is smooth, but the aperture ring isn't perfectly snappy. Blades are fine. Glass elements had some fungus, but some careful cleaning removed it in an hour.

This lens is incredibly sharp and the Bokeh is not to be believed. Am going to enjoy playing with this one for a long time.