1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 60mm Macro soft at infinity focus?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by csnite, May 8, 2014.

1. csnite

csnite Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Florida
    I have a question for owners of the 60 macro. As a macro lens, I have no complaints, but when shooting it as a normal landscape lens, I have found it to be soft at infinity. I just did a test between the Olympus 40-150 and 60mm. Both lenses were on a tripod, no IS, both lenses set at f5.6. Both crops are from the center of the frame. Corners were better on the 60. Have any of you seen this, or do I have a bad lens? I haven't tried with manual focusing, but it showed focus lock on both lenses. The first image is the 40-150, the second is the 60mm. Also, I did the same comparison with the 45mm 1.8 and it was noticeable sharper than both the 40-150 and 60mm.

P5080430-2.
    P5080427-2.

2. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Exposure is a bit off in your second pic that probably enhances the effect. From what I understand the O60 is a good but not outstanding walk around lens. I would expect a Sigma60 to beat it but I'm surprised if a zoom does..

Edit: Only looking at my phone here but still looks very soft to me.

3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    are you sure the focus is on the sign? the 2nd one looks like it might be on the green rail. My 60 is outstanding and sharp with nice contrast..so is my 40-150 and indeed is a great walk around lens.

4. csnite

csnite Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Florida
    This was shot across the street, with the focus box on the sign. Even so, with the 60 set at infinity, shouldn't the sharpness be equal anywhere from about 10'-infinity? The yellow support in the foreground is really about 60' from me and the sign is maybe 100'. This is a small crop from the center of the frame.

5. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I think further testing is required. Either there's some problem with settings for this shot or you have a faulty copy; in my experience the 60mm Zuiko is among the sharpest lenses available for m43, irrespective of focusing distance.

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... Looks like you missed focus .....

7. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I can see that the 40-150, in your photo, is sharper in the foreground as well as the back vs the 60's subpar shot. So, I would guess you haven't missed focus. Just a note, whenever I do tests, I like to manually focus so I don't miss.

Some lenses, like the Sigma 60, look better wide open. I wonder what this would have looked like if you shot at f2.8?

Finally, it might just be over exposed? Try again I say! :)

8. csnite

csnite Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Florida
    Evidently, I don't know how to use a camera... I tried again today and the results were much different with the 60mm. It was very sharp with MF and since I didn't overexpose it, it was very nice color and detail. It still is very close to the 40-150, but it does have a margin, especially away from the center of the frame. It just reminds me how amazing that plastic 40-150 is in the right environment. Thanks for the input.

9. csnite

csnite Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Florida
    I did try it at 2.8 and it was noticeably sharper at 5.6. It wasn't bad at 2.8, but definitely improves across the frame at 5.6.

10. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    So true. I don't use it enough. I took shots this weekend with my 40-150 just messing around and they look as good as the 75mm would have (in bright sunlight).