Olympus 60mm macro - focus ring not working?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Estrellas321, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Estrellas321

Estrellas321 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    I bought this lens reconditioned off the Olympus website. I've tried the lens on both my E-M10 and GH4 while in MF mode and the focus ring doesn't seem to do anything. I would guess that the red line on the focus distance marker is supposed to move (as it would when hunting for focus when used with AF). I don't think it matters what position the limiter switch is on.

I thought I would ask you guys if I'm missing anything before I go ahead and send it back.

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Assuming it works the same way as the SHG 4/3 glass the focus limiter needs to be set to the correct range otherwise it won't allow you to focus outside whatever it's set to (even manually, it stops at the limit).

3. Estrellas321

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    I'll try it again. It I'm sure I've tried it in the setting that's x cm to infinity. I was doing a portrait so I definitely wasn't closer the the minimum focus distance.

4. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

On the oly camera at least, the ring should work no matter what the position of the selector, just that it will hard stop against whatever the min/max length you have set. You should be able to see the marker move in at least one direction. However, it will not work in C-AF, C-AF TR, or S-AF modes, you have to be in S-AF MF or MF.

5. Estrellas321

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks. I think I can safely say it is a faulty lens. Gonna send it back.

6. benjimouse

benjimouse Mu-43 Regular

fwiw, I recently bought a 60mm 2nd hand very cheaply which I think is doing the same thing. AF is fine, but the focus ring does nothing, no matter what I try.

I don't mind to much tbh, for the price I paid it's ok. I've into the habit of using the AF to quickly get in the ballpark of focus for a moving insect, then move the camera back and forth to put the focal plane exactly where I want.

7. free2fish

free2fish Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2014
    Benjimouse: I do the exact same thing. Works great! Loving this lens on my GX7.