1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus 60mm macro also good for non-macro work?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by chasm, Sep 21, 2012.

1. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I'd be really interested to see what this lens can do in portraiture, street shooting, landscapes etc. Clearly it's a fabulous tool for serious macro work, could it be the perfect µ4/3 short telephoto as well?

2. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    I will be testing that out next week. It may pose a concern for some of your portrait subjects that it is a very sharp lens. This lens may show pores and other skin details than others lens don't.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    One could just wait for the second part of Robert Wong's review to find out...

• Like Like x 1
  4. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    I never worry about a lens being too sharp -- that is easily fixed. I would worry more about how the glass renders in a general sense.

5. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Indeed, you could just crank up the luminance in Lightroom or the like to smooth out any unwanted detail.

6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Sure - why not? :smile:
    When I had my Leica 45mm ƒ2.8 MACRO, I often used it for non-MACRO shots :smile:

8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I wouldn't worry overly about that... both Oly m4/3 portrait lenses are sharp and the 75mm in particular is super, super sharp, so that's by no means an impediment. I find that with portraits I usually want to do skin retouching (at least for women), even with the less sharp lenses. In Lightroom I simply paint the skin with an adjustment brush and the Soften Skin preset, then adjust to taste. Basically all it does is reduce Clarity so the micro contrast isn't overly harsh on the skin details. I guess if you were wanting to shoot straight OOC JPEGs it might be a concern though :biggrin:

For me the concerns with the 60mm would be the smaller maximum aperture (somewhat less subject isolation in portraits), and whether the AF mechanism is reliable and fast for non-macro shooting. I anticipate both will be workable on this lens based on the design and early reviews, but we should know soon enough. In my limited experience with the 45mm f/2.8 macro, it's just fine as a general use lens so I'm hoping for the same from the 60mm Olympus.

9. bcphoto

bcphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 25, 2012
    Indiana
    Bruce Conner
    Sharp portraits = nasty

Unless you are shooting a grizzled old sea captain or some smooth skinned children.

Use a lens like the Jupiter 9 for portraits.

Fixing in Photoshop? Try combing hair in Photoshop. Fix before shooting is always the best.

BC

10. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    U mean Robin Wong?

11. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    I owned the Pany 45mm and took several portraits with it as well. I sold it anticipating the Oly 60mm would be as good or better with greater reach. Based on reviews, AF will be no issue especially since there is a limiter switch. Anyway all of my concerns will be over next week.

12. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Oops - yes!

13. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    What does sharpness have to do with personal grooming?

14. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    The sharpest people are always the best dressed.

15. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York