Olympus 60mm 2.8 size

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by xdayv, May 6, 2012.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    As I was researching for my first micro 4/3 macro lens. I had two choices for native lenses which is the Panasonic-Leica 45mm 2.8 and the upcoming Olympus 60mm 2.8.

As I saw the size comparison between the 75mm 1.8, oh it's quite a difference.

43 Rumors | Blog | (FT4) New Olympus primes coming in early Summer.

what do you think?

2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    It looks huge..the 75mm isnt exactly small. I think I prefer the pancake primes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    The macro size makes sense. It will be weather sealed and internal focus. Macro lenses have a long focus throw, so considering it will be internal the lenses' abnormally long barrel makes sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Neither of these lenses are particularly large. Look at the 75mm compared to the 12mm just below it. The 12mm and 45mm are not large lenses by any scale, and the 75mm is a lot longer. They are exactly what would be expected for lenses of their specs.

But then... what one person considers large and what another considers small is all relative to personal perception.

• Like Like x 1
  6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It looks about as fat as my dog.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I'm interested in both; the macro with a bit more distance would be nice, and the fast 150mm EFL would be amazing. But I'm intrigued to see what Schneider will come up with. I didn't use Schneider lenses on my 35mm camera, but my enlarging lenses and large format lenses were Schneider, and I loved them. One 150mm Schneider Componon S enlarging lens I sold to an employer -- regretted it terribly, and bought it back when he closed his lab. Something about Schneider glass just speaks to my soul!

In the lab there were Rodenstock guys and Schneider guys. I was definitely always in the Schneider camp, though I own some very capable Rodenstock lenses. They've not made me shiver with delight the way my Schneiders have, though.

9. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I use enlarging lenses for macro work a lot with my G1/GH1, and will do so with the OM-D if it ever ships to me. I have a hard time justifying paying for a new macro lens because of that (I also have a Tokina 90/2.5).

10. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I'm planning on getting the macro. The instant I heard it would be sealed and 1:1 I knew it was a must-have for me.

A 150mm (equiv.) fast telephoto isn't something I would really have a use for ... but I might have to invent a use for it, because it's a fantastic looking lens. :)

11. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I can't wait for summer then when these lenses are rumoured to be released, along with the 12-35 and 35-100 I may have some difficult choices to make.
    I'll be tossing up between the 35-100, 60 macro or 75 lenses, I guess just wait and see what prices are like first, then the head scratching will start.

Paul