1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus 60mm 2.8 aperture blades stuck or not ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MMouse, Apr 24, 2019.

1. MMouse

MMouse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2015
    Hello,

I got an Olympus 60mm f/2,8 macro and I wonder if it may be defective.

When the lens is resting, the aperture is fully retracted.
    When I put it on a camera body and switch it on, aperture blades close slightly.

They seems to stop down normally but at f/2,8, they never retract fully. When looking at the blades I would say the lens is stuck to f/4.

All my other lenses have invisible aperture blades wide open.

If you own the lens, could you please put it on a camera, set the aperture to f/2,8 and tell me if your aperture blades are visible ?

Thank you for your help :) 

2. StephenB

StephenB Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    I've just put it on the camera and the aperture blades were not visible, I then switched it on and set the ap to 2.8 and about 3-4mm of the blades are visible, moving the dial to f22 and the same 3-4mm is visible, the blades only fully open when the power is switched off.

3. StephenB

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    Just take a series of shots at different f settings and read the exif, as well as making visual examinations of the pics taken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. relic

relic Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 21, 2010
    North Carolina, USA
    On mine, with the lens off the camera. the aperture blades are almost fully open and barely visible (about 1/2 mm). When attached, with camera off, the same thing. When I turn the camera on, the aperture blades momentarily close very slightly (maybe another 1/2 mm) and retract immediately almost completely (invisible). When I turn the camera off, they close back to original position (open with less than 1 mm visible). Aperture and mode settings appear to have no effect (I tried it in A and M modes).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MMouse

MMouse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2015
    Thank you for your observations.

StephenB, mine acts like yours. It seems to work properly as the exposure and depth of field change when I stop it down but I was wondering if it was not shifted.
    I mean if f/2,8 on the camera could be f/4 on the lens and then f/4 on the camera real f/5,6 on the lens etc...

I also had a 55mm 2.8 macro before and thought it was brighter. Sadly I don't own it anymore.

On the contrary to yours relic, as long as the camera is switched on, my 60mm's blades never retract. Aperture is deep into the lens but I can see few milimeters blades easily.
    When it's off the camera or attached but switched off, aperture is almost invisible.

If my lens is not defective seems like the aperture was restricted, sounds strange...

6. StephenB

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    I couldn't be more pleased with mine, previously I shot Canon 50D, 7D and 6D with a Tamron 90mm 1:1 dedicated macro. The Oly EM10/2 and EM5/2 coupled with the 60mm 2.8 shoot far superior macro shots, to my mind anyway. The in cam focus stacking is brilliant. I'm not a macro photographer by any stretch of the imagination, it's a fun thing for me when I'm bored. I used the focus stacking (9 shots, 5 setting, manual focus) to shoot this dandelion clock a couple of days ago, this was taken in a gentle breeze too.

P4200076a.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

7. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 31, 2013
    Two things you can do: Take a photo of the lens from the front and post it here for other 60mm f/2.8 owners to see.

Set a button to aperture preview, start at f/2.8 and advance the aperture down while you look through the front to watch the blades go down. If it doesn't visibly move (close down) between f/2.8 to f/4.0 then you've got problems... You can also go the other way around at say, 5.6 and see if the blades move as you rotate the dial to a wider setting.

8. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    My 60mm f2.8 also stops down very slightly (about 1/10-1/15 f-stop) when power is applied. My assumption is that this is meant to provide some sort of adjustment capability when the lens is assembled and aligned during production. It stops down in 1/3 stop increments when I press the DoF button and turn the dial.
    Your lens is fine, don't worry about it.

9. MMouse

MMouse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2015
    Thank you for your help.

Here is mine:

fapy.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Well, aperture seems to stop down normally.

I just don't really understand why Olympus designed the lens like that because it makes bokeh balls looks a bit odd. Almost all my lenses have fully retracted blades wide open and therefore nice rounded bokeh.
    My 60mm has slighlty misaligned blades... I saw worse when looking at pictures taken with the lens. Sounds surprising for a macro but probably not defective.

I used to work with vintage macro lenses and sold them because I expected modern ones to have less polygons into their bokeh, obviously not the case with the Oly.
    Otherwise excellent lens.

Thank you.

10. I used to work in the photo retail trade and handled an awful lot of lenses. Lots of lenses are built this way across many different manfacturers, mechanical and electronic. No idea why but its a common design feature.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.