1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 60 mm macro lens, a question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Zeus1, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Received this lens as a gift.The lens barrel includes a dial to choose the focussing range (0.4 to infinity, 0.19 to 0.4). But what does the setting 1:1 do??? The dial does not remain stuck in that position but always return to 0.19-0.4m. Furthermore, the focus gets lost. Any ideas?

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Yes, it's not obvious how it works (and instructions are a bit dry about it). There are two ways to use it:
    - with manual focus: turn the dial and let it go: this will set the lens to the minimum focus distance
    - with autofocus: half-press the shutter button and while keeping it pressed turn the dial and let it go. Until you release the shutter button you are at 1:1

Sometime with AF I do this: turn the dial to set the focus to 1:1 and then move the camera close to the subject to get it in focus. This gives me a general idea of the distance I should keep. Then I simply use AF.
    One big warning: getting focus right at 1:1 is really hard. Stopping down the lens like f8 helps a lot but it takes practice.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    In 1:1 you need to be in MF mode otherwise it tries to autofocus (which it invariably seems to get wrong and pull back). Thats a roundabout way of saying I think you can't AF in 1:1.

Or at least thats the way my 60mm seems to behave.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As Klorenzo said,
    This is an effective way to use maximum magnification with using AF & when I use it I will rotate the range dial to 1:1 momentarily (which is what it is meant to do) before touching the shutter button, then I'll move in until the subject is in focus & back away ever so slightly so that when I do shoot with AF it is within the focus range otherwise there is a chance of getting too close for focus to lock. It is also important to have the focus target box set for the intended area where desired beforehand too (such as the eyes of a bug etc).