Olympus 60/2.8 Macro: AF hunt in low light?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sabesh, Mar 3, 2013.

1. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

I'm thinking of purchasing this lens, for portraits and landscapes. Some reviewers are saying that the AF hunts and doesn't lock-on in low light situations (even with the focus limiter engaged).

I'd like to take handheld shots of sunsets etc. Has anyone had any AF issues with this lens in low light? Thx.

2. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Never had issue with it not locking but yes it will (like almost every other AF macro lens) hunt a bit in low light. With the limiter set even when it does hunt it usually locks within a second. Macro lenses "hunt" because of there long focus throws and CDAF does tend to make it a little worse when it happens.

That reviewer either had a bad copy or was grossly overstating his issues. I believe he said he was have trouble focusing with 600W of lighting 5 feet from his subject, sorry but that is BS if you have a normal copy. I have had no significant issue focusing at night in my dining room (15ft x 15ft) with 3 x 60W bulbs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

^^ Thx for the info. I am leaning towards purchasing it, as a portrait / landscape lens (currently, my Panasonic Leica 45mm F2.8 Elmarit does the job, but I need more reach).

5. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    I am having similar issue when trying to focus 1:1 distance. Lens itself is focusing bit closer with manual focus, so when I manually focus to 1:1 and then try to automatically re-focus lens starts its hunt. But this issue should be considered as feature, due to different margins for manual and auto focus.

• Like Like x 1