1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 50mm f1.8, dust spots, should I buy it? Advice please. Update.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I have located a mint/near mint Oly 50mm f1.8 for a decent price, sadly too far away for me to get a look at it.

The owner has kindly supplied pictures, the only problem is what he refers to as 'dust spots'....these can be clearly seen.

It does not have MC on the lens, I assume this is Multi-Coated, should I hold out for one of these.

He says.....'I have had a good look at the lens and would say that it is in near mint condition, both the front and rear elements are immaculate (no scratches or marks). There are a couple of dust marks with the lens, I have tried to photograph these. As this lens is probably older than me I think it is in fantastic condition.'

My delemna is 'to buy' or 'not to buy'

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

D in W

[​IMG]
    Zuiko_50mm-3 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Zuiko_50mm-4 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Zuiko_50mm by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Zuiko_50mm-2 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Zuiko_50mm-5 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

2. Ctein

Ctein Mu-43 Regular

Dear Dave,

So long as there's no fogging or veiling or other hazy deposits on any of the lens surfaces, IOW it's crystal clear save for a couple of specks in the lens, buy it!

Those specks will not, in and of themselves, compromise image quality in any visible way.

pax / Ctein

3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
  4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    All of my legacy lenses have visible dust and I've never seen it in a photo...

Looks like a pretty clean 50 - I wouldn't think twice ;)

5. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    I have a Leica 180 f3.4 APO Telyt-R that has a slightly scratched front element. Still by far the sharpest lens I own...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

6. Use the dust issue to talk down the price, while at same time knowing that it won't make any difference to IQ :wink:

7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Dave,
    I can't make out the serial number on that lens, and contrary to what many people believe, not all 50's with the "black nose" are multi-coated. If that lens has a serial # 3897500 or above, then it is multi-coated, even though it does not have MC designated on it, and is one of the more desirable lenses. The most desirable one's start at serial # 5897300, only because it was one of the the last production runs, and many consider it as having the best coating.

The dust specks usually do not degrade the image, however problems can arise if those specks are large enough and are in the area of the aperture blades to cause them to stick. This is rare, but not unheard of.

8. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Many thanks Sammyboy, the serial number is 3969*** so I've made an offer.

Any idea what sort of age it would be?

D in W

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Sorry, I don't have the cross reference for production dates.

10. clufus

clufus New to Mu-43

Aug 24, 2011
    Sheffield, UK
    Here's a thing: mine has serial no 2575772 and yet is clearly desig MC.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The "MC" markings actually pre-date the "Made in Japan" markings seen on the OP's copy. Any lens marked "Made in Japan" should be multicoated.

However, there are many different types of multi-coats used, and I believe the ones starting at 3.9 million are significantly better.

12. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I was looking for that document actually to check on this. I thought I had it on my harddrive.
    Your link is broken though. Let's see if this works better: http://olympus.dementix.org/Hardware/misc/lensCoatings.txt

That document shows Multi Coated versions from serial #s of 1.5 million and up, but with a few staggered Single Coated spans in between...

I had a really cool version of this lens which had a serial number of 2828282 (MC version). I should have held onto that one, but it went to somebody who would use it more than I... (I love my f/1.4 too much).

14. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Thanks Ned, I don't know what's wrong with that link, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It would be nice to have an archived folder on this forum for info like this, maybe Amin or someone can set one up.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What happens when I click your link is that it actually puts the abbreviated form (that displays in the post) in the address bar, rather than the full address. I'm not sure what caused that change though... maybe editing the post, or just a forum glitch...?

16. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Thanks Ned for the MC link.

Mine is, 50mm...f1.8.. 3897500..Black..Olympus OM-System Zuiko Auto-S 50mm 1:1.8 made in Japan...Front: yellow, green, lavender, blue/violet, amber...Rear: dark lavender.

The lens has been purchased and should be here soon.

I have ordered an adaptor to go with it.....

Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Olympus OM Zuiko Lens to: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I'm quite excited, I feel I'm going back to my roots.

D in W

17. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Hi,

I've just bought my second OM 50mm 1.8 ( I shouldn't have sold my first). It has a similar amount of dust as mentioned in the previous posts. My question is, will the dust show up when going down to f16 ? I haven't tried it since I sold my adapter too and I'm waiting on a new one to arrive.

18. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Dust is not usually a problem. Stuff that looks like dust might be. My 50/1.8 has a few specks of anti-reflective paint floating around inside it. It makes no difference to the pictures on 35mm or :43:.

19. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Ok, just had another look and there are a couple of black specks. Which is probably the paint, maybe I'm being paranoid.