Showcase Olympus 50mm f/1.8 OM

sesser

Zen Master
Real Name
randy
My version just says Japan, and being a newbie I have no idea what the difference is between the MIJ vs just Japan
The biggest difference in variations of OM lenses in general is multi vs single coated (better flare performance). Specific to the 50/1.8, the older version (F.Zuiko) had 6 elements in 5 groups while the later versions had 6 elements in 4 groups. Variations in the multi-coated version usually revolves around sharpness/contrast wide open with the miJ version purported to perform the best. At f/2.8, I would guess all of the MC versions perform the same. I don't have any other versions to test, but your shot at f/2.8 is no less sharp than mine.

Cerita

Mu-43 Regular
The biggest difference in variations of OM lenses in general is multi vs single coated (better flare performance). Specific to the 50/1.8, the older version (F.Zuiko) had 6 elements in 5 groups while the later versions had 6 elements in 4 groups. Variations in the multi-coated version usually revolves around sharpness/contrast wide open with the miJ version purported to perform the best. At f/2.8, I would guess all of the MC versions perform the same. I don't have any other versions to test, but your shot at f/2.8 is no less sharp than mine.
Thanks for clearing this up for me :). I have to admit, since I started taking pictures about two months ago, I read way too much I think and end up confusing myself in the bargain LOL! So thank you!

Cerita

Mu-43 Regular
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Vivalo

Olympus loser
With E-P1

hans.aambo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Hans Martin Aambø

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
PEN-F

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
I guess because this lens is/was everywhere, it might get a little less love. I picked mine up almost by accident: I had gotten a Pentax-m43 adapter that wouldn't mount onto my E-M1.2. The seller sent me an OM-m43 adapter to test; this lens was an orphan at the local shop. I bought it sight unseen. Turns out it's a multicoated version, and from what I read, further categorized as a mij version. I've tested it against the revered Pentax 50/1.7, and it holds its own just fine. Today's effort:

Processed from .ORF, adjusted for WB and cropped. IIRC shot at f5.6, mounted with an Olympus 7mm extension tube.

carrots99

Mu-43 Rookie
Has anyone ever had problems adapting this lens with a OM-M43 adapter? I have also a OM 28mm f3.5 and a OM mount Vivitar 70-210mm, but with the OM 50mm, from f5.6 upwards, the lens only stops down the aperture if I press the DOF "button" of the lens (it should close the aperture nonetheless when attached to the adapter, as other lenses do)...

Can someone give a hint? Thanks

phigmov

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Has anyone ever had problems adapting this lens with a OM-M43 adapter? I have also a OM 28mm f3.5 and a OM mount Vivitar 70-210mm, but with the OM 50mm, from f5.6 upwards, the lens only stops down the aperture if I press the DOF "button" of the lens (it should close the aperture nonetheless when attached to the adapter, as other lenses do)...

Maybe a cheap adapter? It should keep the aperture tab held down through the range as far as I am aware - certainly works that way on my Nikon. Pentax, Om & Pen F adapters.

Although, as you've described the issue... If it works fine with your other lenses maybe its sticky aperture blades, or the tab/spring is misbehaving on the lens (does it close down normally when you rotate the aperture ring without the adapter) ?

carrots99

Mu-43 Rookie
Maybe a cheap adapter? It should keep the aperture tab held down through the range as far as I am aware - certainly works that way on my Nikon. Pentax, Om & Pen F adapters.

Although, as you've described the issue... If it works fine with your other lenses maybe its sticky aperture blades, or the tab/spring is misbehaving on the lens (does it close down normally when you rotate the aperture ring without the adapter) ?
I was suspecting of sticky aperture blades in the beginning, although without the adapter and holding down the aperture tab while turning the ring, the blades open and close flawlessly, so maybe the tab mechanism of the lens is a little bit "displaced"

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
My silvernose 50mm from 1976.

In 1982 it was bounced along the gutter of Charing Cross Road in central London while running to catch the last tube train and had a motorcycle dropped on it at passport control on the way to the Le Mans 24 hour motorcycle endurance race.

In 1985 it was submerged in Georgian Bay, Ontario for 15 minutes and dried out in an oven (along with an OM1 and 24mm Zuiko).

Taken last summer using the exposure seesaw (teeter-totter).

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
^^^^^
I'll spot ya a "winner" for the story along with the image.

I'd lean toward agreeing with @phigmov on the adapter being to blame. There's some variability with the adapters playing nice with the cameras, but I would suspect that the lens side should be pretty simple to "agree" with. Take a look at your other OMs and see if the aperture levers look different.

carrots99

Mu-43 Rookie
I guess you were all right! The adapter has some kind of 'L' shapped pin that holds the aperture "actuator" that for some reason was mounted on the adapter upside down. So I unscrewed it and turned it and now everything works fine.
Thanks for the hints

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom