Showcase Olympus 50mm f/1.8 OM

halebalephoto

Mu-43 Regular
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

All 3 pics taken with a Roxsen focal reducer making this lens handle like a 35mm. Taken on a Olympus E-PL7.

MarkRyan

Instagram: @MRSallee
I have very seriously considered getting a speed booster to throw on the OM 50mm. Though oddly enough, I'm most attracted to the fact that it's smaller than an OM-M43 adapter >_< I almost never shoot wide open.

I do think I would miss the 100mm field of view.

EDIT: Yeesh, Flickr really brutalizes the pixel quality on embeds.

Last edited:

halebalephoto

Mu-43 Regular
@MarkRyan Yeah, the speedbooster gives all classic 50s this strange in-between 70mm eq. field of view.

I got myself a cheap "Roxsen" focal reducer on eBay and made sure I got the EF to M43 version. That way I can use the same focal reducer unit for most of my legacy glass. Just need to get those small adapters to put on top of it. So, for my OM lens, I use a OM to EF adapter and put the whole thing on the focal reducer. Same goes for m42, Nikon and PK. Just adapt them all to EF and use the same speedbooster.

MarkRyan

MarkRyan

I regret to announce that I may be posting OM 50mm shots here less often. Not because I've suddenly fallen out of love with the lens, but because I loved the 1.8 so much I went ahead and picked up the 1.4 version. I may do some comparisons later -- the 1.4 arrived just yesterday, so I've not had a chance to verify that it stands up to the incredible 1.8.

Some recent images from the 1.8. As usual, click through to Flickr to appreciate the true sharpness of this lens. (I believe these were all shot at f/4.)

tkbslc

Super Moderator
I would say the biggest drawback to this lens is that there is no half-step in between f1.8 and f2.8. An f2.0 or f2.2 would be very welcome to give a little bit of sharpness boost without having to lose 1.33 stops of light with that first click of the aperture dial.

Thanasis

Mu-43 Regular
I would say the biggest drawback to this lens is that there is no half-step in between f1.8 and f2.8. An f2.0 or f2.2 would be very welcome to give a little bit of sharpness boost without having to lose 1.33 stops of light with that first click of the aperture dial.
You can try to modify and DeClick the lens. Its an easy procedure and after that you will have a stepless aperture ring

Here is a how to do it video

I allready have done it to mine without a problem

Last edited:

mossie

Mu-43 Regular

sesser

Zen Master
Real Name
randy
Photo of an OM 35/2 through a 50/1.8 Mij :) Shot at f8 ISO 200.

IlyaV

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Ilya Varivchenko

Rifleair

Mu-43 All-Pro

found this yesterday

Cerita

Mu-43 Regular
Taken at f2.8, I just got this lens a few days ago and used it with my OM5II. My version just says Japan, and being a newbie I have no idea what the difference is between the MIJ vs just Japan. Any comments?

Cerita

Mu-43 Regular
and a few more, all at f2.8. I love this lens!! I love the softness on the sides :).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom