Showcase Olympus 50mm f/1.8 OM

Myndseye

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Mike
Hi everyone, after much lurking and researching, I bought my first m-4/3 Em5
I purchased used on eBay for 330$(bodyonly) and then found an E-pl1 with kit lens, 35-70 om zoom and the 1.8 50mm.
For 130$.
Very excited and now the wifey has a decent m4/3 too! See what I did there?
Here are my first night shots.
Only problem is no Exif data.
My post processing is done via USB transfer or hotswap to my Samsung note 3 where editing is done RAW on Photoshop express.
Thank you all for the knowledge and inspiration!
Myndseye.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi everyone, after much lurking and researching, I bought my first m-4/3 Em5
I purchased used on eBay for 330$(bodyonly) and then found an E-pl1 with kit lens, 35-70 om zoom and the 1.8 50mm.
For 130$.
Very excited and now the wifey has a decent m4/3 too! See what I did there?
Here are my first night shots.
Only problem is no Exif data.
My post processing is done via USB transfer or hotswap to my Samsung note 3 where editing is done RAW on Photoshop express.
Thank you all for the knowledge and inspiration!
Myndseye.
View attachment 91807 View attachment 91808 View attachment 91809 View attachment 91810
Nice job, I especially like the second photo.

sesser

Zen Master
Real Name
randy
A bit of a shame the adapter is so large
Yeah, I know. When I had a FF Canon, all my OM lenses looked so small when mounted. Unfortunately, focusing was a pain without things like EVF and focus peaking/magnification.

silver92b

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yeah, I know. When I had a FF Canon, all my OM lenses looked so small when mounted. Unfortunately, focusing was a pain without things like EVF and focus peaking/magnification.
I totally agree. Especially about the difficulty of focusing... Forget using legacy glass without an EVF and focus peaking. Even then, many if not all my adapted Canikon/OM lenses are fairly soft wide open....

MarkRyan

Instagram: @MRSallee
I kind of hate to say it, but this has replaced my Olympus 45mm as my go-to walk-around lens. Very similar focal length -- which suits me perfectly -- and I like the added pleasure of manual focus. When there's time, mind.

(Above: Three-shot panorama.)

silver92b

Mu-43 All-Pro
I kind of hate to say it, but this has replaced my Olympus 45mm as my go-to walk-around lens. Very similar focal length -- which suits me perfectly -- and I like the added pleasure of manual focus. When there's time, mind.

(Above: Three-shot panorama.)

Nice shots, but is the Olympus 45 f1.8 that bad a lens? I've never tried it, but I've tried a lot of native M43 lenses and most if not all the faster ones were better (sharper) than my OM 50mm adapted lens....

MarkRyan

Instagram: @MRSallee
Nice shots, but is the Olympus 45 f1.8 that bad a lens?
Huh? To be clear, I didn't mean to say anything negative about the 45mm -- it's a fantastic lens, and is technically probably better than the OM 50mm (especially wide open). I just meant to say that I really do prefer using manual lenses when I don't need the speed of autofocus, and that the 50mm is close enough to the 45mm focal length that the OM lens is suitable in most of the cases where I'd have otherwise used the 45mm.

silver92b

Mu-43 All-Pro
Huh? To be clear, I didn't mean to say anything negative about the 45mm -- it's a fantastic lens, and is technically probably better than the OM 50mm (especially wide open). I just meant to say that I really do prefer using manual lenses when I don't need the speed of autofocus, and that the 50mm is close enough to the 45mm focal length that the OM lens is suitable in most of the cases where I'd have otherwise used the 45mm.
I misunderstood you. I do understand what you mean though... I enjoy shooting the old "nifty fifties" with the M43 cameras. But I do find them all "soft" wide open while the likes go the Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 was crazy sharp, beautiful lens but strangely enough, I never bonded with it and sold it. I sometimes shoot with adapted Leica M mount lenses on the EM-1 but it's never the same as shooting them on the Leica M body. I've gotten used to shooting with the manual rangefinder focus and manual aperture control (although I generally shoot wide open). Interestingly enough, I've also gotten to enjoy the 50mm FL... With the EM-1 I find myself preferring to use the native lenses. I still have the 12-40 f2.8 and like it a lot.

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I also like the added pleasure of manual focus. AF is a bit like cheating. I mean a bit.