Showcase Olympus 50mm f/1.4 OM

sesser

Zen Master
Real Name
randy
How much do you need to stop the OM 50/1.4 down to get out of the glow/softness of 1.4?
Depends on the version I think. Older single coated version are worse than newer MC versions and the latest version with s.n. > 1.1 mil are reportedly better. I have both the MC and later 1.1m s.n. version. They are both slightly glowy wide open but the later version is better. Stopping down to f/2 helps quite a bit. I haven't done any real side by side comparison but the 1.1m version is better at wider apertures. Once you get to f/4, they're all pretty much the same I think.

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
How much do you need to stop the OM 50/1.4 down to get out of the glow/softness of 1.4?
Below are 1600x1600 center crops at f/1.4-f/4. The glow is completely gone by f/2.8 to my eye. I think this can be considered a "worst case scenario" since this is not one of the MC copies (the glass is in good condition, though). I do have a late copy of the 50/1.8, and in terms of aberrations it's a little better wide open than this one at f/2 under unfavorable lighting, pretty similar under less challenging conditions.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

f/1.4

f/2

f/2.8

f/4

Last edited:

ibd

Mu-43 Veteran
Using this lens with a Viltrox EF-M2 speed booster to get a 35mm f/1.0.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom