Olympus 500mm on the cards

getoutandshoot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
Hmmm... Reading the comments, it seems this rumor might be a mistake. The Olympus representative might have simply been referring to the already announced 150-400, which after applying the built-in 1.25X TC reaches 500mm. I hope this really is a different 500mm prime lens... Any Japanese translation experts out there?

Dave

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
Yes please for an affordable 5.6! That would be my financial limit.
And could I have that in a close focusing model too, please?

BobbyTan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I know it’s possible, use to own the canon 500/4. I’m just worried they will make it f5.6 to keep cost/size down. That’s just to slow if you want to use TCs.
Or they could make it f4.5 just like the 150-400 lens to keep it reasonably lightweight.

BobbyTan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
500 / 4 = 125mm
500 / 4.5 = 111
500 / 5.6 = 89.3mm

So a significant difference in objective lens diameter => cost and weight.
I wonder if they can use a lighter material than metal for the lens barrel, to keep the weight down. Maybe graphene or something really strong but lightweight.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
I wonder if they can use a lighter material than metal for the lens barrel, to keep the weight down. Maybe graphene or something really strong but lightweight.
Yes, but exotic materials will raise the production cost, which will raise the selling price.
The material also has to be time durable. Some materials age and become brittle or shrink, which is NOT good. My old Nikon lenses from the 1970s are still perfectly functional.
On large lenses, the weight of the large glass elements becomes significant. The larger the diameter of the element, the thicker it gets, and the heavier it gets.

Part of it is the construction.
Olympus pro lenses just seem to be made heavy. At least the two that I have.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom