Showcase Olympus 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 ZD 4/3 SWD

cedge

Mu-43 Regular
I'm still getting to grips with my newly aquired (used) 50-200mm lens. It replaced a 45-175 in the hope that I get some more keepers. This was shot hand held on a trip to Exmoor (England) in October.

A landscape shot of Chullila, Spain
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

NACEOD

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
Dark-eyed Junco at Fool's Hollow State Park, Show Low, Arizona.

My son's high school hockey team played at Gila River Arena, the home of the AZ Coyotes.

Love this lens and DXO Photo Lab 4.

Last edited:
By intent, I went to the same fountain yesterday and today with the Olympus 50-200 SWD + EC-14 yesterday and the Sigma APO 300mm f4 Tele Macro with a metabones Smart Adapter to provide autofocus. Because the same birds come back to the same fountain and look pretty much the same at the same time of day, I was able to capture the same birds with both lenses. I processed them with the same methods in Darktable. The comparison shows not much difference in sharpness, but some differences in colors and bokeh. This surprised me because the Olympus combo has faster focus and is more versatile.

Overall, I prefer the look of the Sigma shots but the focus is so slow that I miss a lot of shots with it. Hmm, will have to rethink what goes in my pack when I go out to photograph birds.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
A few shots from my first outings with the 50-200 SWD I got earlier this week. Not the best of conditions and nothing really caught my eye subjectwise, but it was really just good to get out with it to see what it could do. I've taken quite a few pics on the same walk in similar conditions using my P45-175, and there are some of these pics, particularly the shot of the pigeon and the one of the cormorants, that it would have turned to mush because of the low light and cropping to get the framing right due to distance to the subject.

The lens is going to take a bit of getting used to to get the best from it but I'm suitably impressed so far, and I'm now on the hunt for an EC-14 to get a bit more reach. Processing the RAW files is also going to take a bit of getting used to, my usual processing techniques produces different results to what I'm used to getting... not bad, just different.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
By intent, I went to the same fountain yesterday and today with the Olympus 50-200 SWD + EC-14 yesterday and the Sigma APO 300mm f4 Tele Macro with a metabones Smart Adapter to provide autofocus. Because the same birds come back to the same fountain and look pretty much the same at the same time of day, I was able to capture the same birds with both lenses. I processed them with the same methods in Darktable. The comparison shows not much difference in sharpness, but some differences in colors and bokeh. This surprised me because the Olympus combo has faster focus and is more versatile.

View attachment 867160View attachment 867161

View attachment 867162
View attachment 867164
Overall, I prefer the look of the Sigma shots but the focus is so slow that I miss a lot of shots with it. Hmm, will have to rethink what goes in my pack when I go out to photograph birds.
As you know, I've been looking to get a copy of the Sigma 300mm f4 APO but have been unable to get one at the right value to make it worthwhile... and then I got itchy fingers and pulled the trigger on a 50-200 SWD at a very reasonable price. Now I've seen your pics with the EC-14 I think getting one is definitely on the cards!

As you know, I've been looking to get a copy of the Sigma 300mm f4 APO but have been unable to get one at the right value to make it worthwhile... and then I got itchy fingers and pulled the trigger on a 50-200 SWD at a very reasonable price. Now I've seen your pics with the EC-14 I think getting one is definitely on the cards!
It is a great combo. Versatile. Sharp. Great IQ.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
It is a great combo. Versatile. Sharp. Great IQ.
I was a little taken aback by the size, but actually it’s quite nice to use, and the extra weight wasn’t too bad on my 6 mile hike today... but the extra reach and IQ over my P45-175 was very noticeable, which was exactly what I was looking for... and the auto focus even works of a fashion on my EM10ii.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Took the beast out for another spin today... still trying to get to grips with it but impressed again with the detail when focus is nailed!

P1170068.jpg

P1170070.jpg

P1170072.jpg

P1170081.jpg

P1170087.jpg

P1170092.jpg

P1170098.jpg

P1170101.jpg

P1170110.jpg

P1170122.jpg

P1170137.jpg

Last edited:

cedge

Mu-43 Regular
Hmmm, maybe just me, but I think this is a scene that I would prefer in color.
Maybe if I was lucky enough to have been there for sunset/sunrise and it was to feature some glorious golden light across the buildings/hills; original colour image below but I still prefer the monochrome version.

Cape Buffalo at the Denver Zoo

This lens with the EC-14 continues to amaze me on the EM1.2. Focus is fast and accurate. Sharpness on color on great. Versatility is very high.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Loving this lens so far!

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have seen so many wonderful images produced by this lens and was fortunate to obtain a very nice copy from a m4/3 forum member. The lens arrived today and I immediately shot a few pics from a window to try it out. It didn't disappoint. My modest addition to this thread ...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom