Showcase Olympus 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 ZD 4/3 (non SWD)

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Being able to pick up this lens, an MMF-3 adapter, an EC-14 TC, and an E-M1 (all used of course) for about $1000 is the best deal going for anything where you need reach and speed. I got the chance to use this lens again with my E-M1 this past weekend, shooting a vintage car race, and was more than impressed with how well the kit worked, especially given the fact that the lens is from an obsoleted system, and the camera is now 3 years old.
Great captures. That combo really is one of the best deals out there in any system. I tell those with an EM1 looking for affordable reach that they really should consider that combo because there is nothing better (the 40-150 Pro has a few advantages but IQ wise they are equal if not the 50-200 being a little better). You can even add in the EC-20 if you really need 400mm of reach, and only slightly slower then the Panny 100-400. Someone on here posted sample shots (all from same location of same subject and taken one after the other) of the Panny 100-400, 50-200, and some Nikon lens and honestly the Panny was barely better then the 50-200. With the price of the EM1 dropping, I can see me recommending people looking for a good deal on reach and speed to buy the EM1, EC-14 and 50-200.

m43renegade

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rey
Eurasian Hoopoe

happy World Photo Day

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Picked one of these up after many years having sold mine. 60F yesterday, below freezing and snow today.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve

Smalls

Mu-43 Regular
I've been considering this lens for a little while, and finally pulled the trigger. Went straight to the backyard to give it a spin. No real action yet, but excited to try it out with the kids

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
My first time out with my new old lens. My extenders haven’t arrived yet, so these are all the bare lens with mmf-3 on my E-M1. I think I’ll keep it.

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
Nice captures.

So what do you think about it?
Well, here are my initial impressions. First, it is heavy. Now, it is not heavy compared to my old 70-200 2.8, but it is the heaviest lens I have used on a m43 camera, by a good bit. It is larger than my 100-300, but not significantly. It is significantly heavier. I also think it is slightly slower to focus. I didn’t really try any action shots with C-AF, but my impression was it was a little slower to focus. I did miss a couple of shots I really would have liked because it didn’t lock focus fast enough. I don’t know if the 100-300 would have gotten them either, though. And being the non-SWD version it was a good bit louder. But not enough to bother me.

As far as IQ goes, i was very pleased. I missed the extra 100mm a couple of times, but not as much as I thought I would. I have an EC-14 and an EC-20 on the way, but they haven’t arrived yet, so I’ll see how they work when they get here. It was a bright sunny day, the kind of conditions I was able to get good results with my 100-300 in, so it’s hard to say whether the 50-200 is better than the 100-300, but I feel like it was. Especially on subjects that didn’t fill the frame. That’s where I think the 100-300 struggles the most.

Bottom line, I think the lens is amazing for the price. I need to use it more and test it in less light to see how it does. But I was very pleased with the IQ on the photos yesterday. The price of the 50-200 is fantastic. I actually think I paid on the high end at $250, but my copy is very clean and came with a nice case and all the accessories. Then I had to add in the cost of an mmf-3 and I also wanted an EC-14. Adding those about doubles the price, but I think it gives you a very versatile set up.

It is enough larger than my 100-300 that it didn’t fit in my bag without changing the inserts around. I’m going to have to play with that.

So, I highly recommend it with the caveat that it is heavy. If you are into the lightest set up possible, go with the 100-300 or the 70-300. And of course you need an E-M1. Which I highly recommend as well.

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
Alright, it is now clear to me. The resolving ability of the 50-200 is without a doubt better than the P100-300. It is also easier to do a manual focus touchup, for some reason. I touched up the focus just a tad on this photo, and it really helped. If you zoom in on this picture, you can see tiny little hair like structures. I never got that kind of detail out of my 100-300. I still think the 100-300 is a nice lens if you can't or don't want to spend the money on the higher grade telephotos such as the PL100-400 or the O300. But I am convinced now that if you have an E-M1 or E-M1 ii, you are better off with the 50-200, as long as you don't mind the extra weight.

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Got this lens on Friday so testing it out on my kids.

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
I have taken quite a few photos with this lens in the fairly short time I have had it, but I've been posting them in the birds and wildlife sections mostly. So, I thought I'd share a few here too.

Top Bottom