Olympus 50-200/2.8-3.5 (non- SWD) question

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
I just purchased a used copy of the Olympus 50-200/2.8-3.5 (non- SWD). I am using it on an OM-D E-M1 II. The lens looks to be in good condition and performs well except that once in a while it just stops focusing. When this happens it will not even focus manually. Cycling the camera off and back on fixes the problem, the lens returns to normal operation. I am using the lens with a MMF-1 and EC-14 (from the same purchase). I haven't tested enough to know if the problem occurs without the EC-14.

Before I raise the issue with the seller I wanted to reach out to the small community that uses or has used this lens to see if this is a known problem that everyone lives with, or if I have an actual issue I should be concerned about. I hope that you don't mind me mentioning you in this post bring your attention to it.

@jhawk1000
@Phocal
@pdk42
@emorgan451
@John King
@PakkyT
@fishtug
@bbarnett51

The photos that you folks post from this lens are just fantastic.

fishtug

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Monty
Toddster -
I have never encountered the problems you mention with the lens on my EM1 Mkii -
Is it an Olympus brand MMF-1 or a knockoff? Perhaps there are problems with the contacts -
I have heard some of the non OEM adapters may have some contact issues -
FWIW I use the Olympus MMF-3 and have never used a TeleConverter -

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have never experienced this issues either. I use the Olympus MMF-3 and I do not own any teleconverters, so always just the 50-200 + MMF-3 only. The only thing the lens sometimes does is goes in the wrong direction when trying to focus and gets to far out of focus it gives up (this lens could have used a focus limiter feature). But that is only while holding the shutter button half way. Releasing then repressing the shutter sends the AF back to the right point. But I have never had it stop working to a point where it was locked up and needed a power cycle to fix.

Something is wrong with something there. You just have to narrow it down by using it without the MMF-1 and shoot a lot or at least AF a lot and see if you can get it to do it again. If not, then pop the EC-14 back on and try again. Unfortunately if it does it with both then you have a problem with either the lens or the MMF-1 but no way to independently test each (assuming no 4/3rds bodies, no other 4/3rds lenses to try).

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
I will have my 4/3 lenses stop responding on occasion and believe it is because the lens loses connection to the camera. Sometimes I can wiggle the lens and it will start working again, but most of the time I have to power cycle the camera to get it to work. I have also had my m4/3 lenses stop responding because the grip loses contact with the camera body, this always requires a power cycle and a few turns on the knob to tighten it all back up.

I would start with cleaning the contacts with an eraser (all contacts on all parts) followed by some alcohol to remove all the debris.

@Toddster That sounds like a similar issue I had with non-olympus adapters. One of them came with the lens on the deal I bought and there were basically gouge marks on the adapter contacts so I knew it was a contact issue there.

With the bare lens I have had zero issues with the mmf2. I just got the EC-14 and the first time I mounted it it wouldn't do anything except show the live view. I wiggled connection and power cycled and haven't had any issues since, so I chalked it up to a fluke or the camera needing a minute to realize what it was working with lol. I would recommend testing the bare lens more and see if it's isolated to using the tc.

I also fully agree with @PakkyT about his focus experience.

KeithT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Keith Temlett
Use it on an EM1.1.

Have MM2 and MMF3 plus EC-14 and EC-20.

Never had an issue as you describe even with a non-Olympus grip.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

Real Name
John ...
I just purchased a used copy of the Olympus 50-200/2.8-3.5 (non- SWD). I am using it on an OM-D E-M1 II. The lens looks to be in good condition and performs well except that once in a while it just stops focusing. When this happens it will not even focus manually. Cycling the camera off and back on fixes the problem, the lens returns to normal operation. I am using the lens with a MMF-1 and EC-14 (from the same purchase). I haven't tested enough to know if the problem occurs without the EC-14.

Before I raise the issue with the seller I wanted to reach out to the small community that uses or has used this lens to see if this is a known problem that everyone lives with, or if I have an actual issue I should be concerned about. I hope that you don't mind me mentioning you in this post bring your attention to it.
Todd, I use mine with the MMF-3, and almost never with the EC-14. I can't recall ever having this problem with any of my bodies, or on my FTs bodies.

The SWD version is renowned for breaking ribbon cables, but I have never heard of the MkI version having that problem.

Is it behaving itself after contact cleaning?

Real Name
Walter
I will have my 4/3 lenses stop responding on occasion and believe it is because the lens loses connection to the camera. Sometimes I can wiggle the lens and it will start working again, but most of the time I have to power cycle the camera to get it to work. I have also had my m4/3 lenses stop responding because the grip loses contact with the camera body, this always requires a power cycle and a few turns on the knob to tighten it all back up.

I would start with cleaning the contacts with an eraser (all contacts on all parts) followed by some alcohol to remove all the debris.
I agree except that I would clean the contacts with sparing amounts of DeOXIT, a contact cleaner and preservative from Caig Laboratories. It works awesomely well. So well we used to use it on audio equipment. Been using it for years. Pencil erasers are abrasive and will wear away the gold plating on the contacts, besides leaving eraser crumbs which are as bad as throwing dust in your stuff. I just spritz a little bit of DeOXIT on a q-tip and carefully wipe the contacts, making sure to pick up any lint left behind. I'll wipe it with a dry q-tip or a lintless wipe to soak up any excess. Works great on AC plugs and battery contacts too.

Real Name
Walter
I agree except that I would clean the contacts with sparing amounts of DeOXIT, a contact cleaner and preservative from Caig Laboratories. It works awesomely well. So well we used to use it on audio equipment. Been using it for years. Pencil erasers are abrasive and will wear away the gold plating on the contacts, besides leaving eraser crumbs which are as bad as throwing dust in your stuff. I just spritz a little bit of DeOXIT on a q-tip and carefully wipe the contacts, making sure to pick up any lint left behind. I'll wipe it with a dry q-tip or a lintless wipe to soak up any excess. Whenever a lens acts up, I clean lens and body contacts with DeOXIT. Works great on AC plugs and battery contacts too.

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments. I have cleaned the contacts and had an outing yesterday without the EC-14 and everything worked perfectly. I will try with the converter later but for now I am VERY happy with this lens.

I just posted pictures from yesterdays outing on the showcase thread for this lens. I won't post them here, but wow, what a lens. I have never been a birder but I may need to reconsider now that I own this incredible lens.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments. I have cleaned the contacts and had an outing yesterday without the EC-14 and everything worked perfectly. I will try with the converter later but for now I am VERY happy with this lens.

I just posted pictures from yesterdays outing on the showcase thread for this lens. I won't post them here, but wow, what a lens. I have never been a birder but I may need to reconsider now that I own this incredible lens.
Saw the photos, great job. It really is a stellar lens

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom