Olympus 45mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by chrism_scotland, Aug 12, 2011.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Have we any update on when the 45mm is expected? Found myself using a Canon 50mm a lot so something with a similar focal length but AF would be nice!

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Mid September's last I heard.

3. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I really wanted the 45mm, but am so thrilled with the Yashica 50mm F2 I recently bought (actually 'peaks' when in focus using the VF-2) that I've now cancelled it in favour of the 20mm F1.7; a lens I've always wanted..... :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    How does it "peak". Now you got me curious. I love my contax 45 but I would love af. Peaking like the nex would be great.

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Very much looking forward to the 45 myself!

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I need AF, the 45mm is definitely on my prime list of lenses to get.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    AF would be nice, but the biggest thing for me would be sharper images wide open than my current 50mm legacy prime.

8. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've not really seen anything about the 45mm online, I read a few postings on another forum that suggested it was a cracker but the shots have been removed :(

9. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    There are some samples here, under the radar of olympus - in a review of an E PL3. The lens looks good so far, in these images at least

Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 Lens + E-PL3 body

10. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    It really snaps into focus and you get a tiny shimmer from the plane of focus most of the time, although lighting conditions seem to have some effect on it; the easiest manual lens I've ever focussed by a country mile; never had to zoom/focus with it yet - apparently the faster Yashica 50's don't do it...... I'm talking about with the VF-2 though; never tried it using the rear screen....

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I get this shimmering all the time in the studio since moving to the E-PL2 from the older generations (ie, E-P1 and E-P2), on any product that has fine detail in the texture (ie, tight knit clothing, fine meshes, etc.). I believe this is caused by a combination of the higher res LCD as well as the weaker AA filter (ie, think moire patterns). I really like it as well... and on a curved object you can watch the shimmer move around the object when you slowly move the focus plane.

I'm usually shooting with Zuiko Four-Thirds glass which are very high-resolving. If you're not seeing this on all your lenses, they're probably not picking up the same amount of detail resolution. The combination of the E-PL2 and full-sized Zuiko glass really resolves a lot of fine detail. I'm glad to hear the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 is keeping up with that!

12. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks, looks impressive, only seen one UK price so far £300 which seems reasonable.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    +1. I loved my PL45, but I sold it with high hopes for the little Oly.

14. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    £279.99 at Park Cameras, very surprised (and pleased) that this is going to be reasonably 'cheap'. If the 12mm f2 had been nearer £500 then that, the 45mm and 20mm 1.7 would make quite a set-up for a grand.

15. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I just placed my preorder for the Olympus 45mm. I have the 50mm f/2 with 4/3 adapter and I love that lens for portraits but it is painfully slow to autofocus on Pen bodies ... Even the newest ones. I decided that if my main cameras are going to be Pens then I need to buy more native m4/3 lenses.

Now if Olympus will just make a m4/3 equivalent of the 35-100mm f/2 and the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 lenses ... then I will have all the m4/3 lenses that I care about.

16. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Same here both surprised and pleased at the pricing of the 45, tempted to add the 14mm as my wide end at the moment and add the 45 on release, would give me 14 20 and 45 for now which seems a cracking setup, just need to add an EVF and possibly a cheapish flash to play with!

17. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Very impressed with the price and performance, especially at f1.8. I love my SMC M50/f1.4, but it's pretty useless for general use below f2.8, so something sharp wide open would be excellent.

Also very tempted by the EPL3 as a compact 2nd body for my GH2 :smile:

18. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    So under 600 quid for a fast 40 and a fast 90 equivalent. As that's about all I need I'm liking :43: more and more.

Sorry, no pound sign on this Australian english keyboard :redface:

19. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I love using my legacy Canon FD lenses but I can see me selling them off if the 45mm is up to scratch, with adding my Panny 20mm I'm not sure I'll use the 24mm I've got and if I add the 45mm my Canon 50mm is unlikely to get much usage.

20. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    chrism... with the advent of the 45 and the 25, having native mounts and auto-focus, I'm thinking similarly about some of my legacy glass... these are significant benefits!