1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 45mm question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by danska, Jun 19, 2012.

1. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Just received my Oly 45 in the mail today. Very excited to have this lens for portrait work, and it completes out my prime kit for now (14,25,45). I got an adapter for my Rokkor-X 50mm last week and I have already got the idea of the FOV for this focal length.

My concern is that the focus ring seems to have a little back and forth play on it. Does anyone else notice this in their lens? It doesn't cause any issues whatsoever, but I wouldn't want to become even more loose over time. My panasonic lenses are very solid in this respect so I just want to get a little feedback since I bought it new.

Thanks for the input.

2. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Haven't noticed that with my example. Could it be possible this is just your idea, because of the plastic construction?

The only thing I noticed with my 45mm was that the mounting ring was a bit stiff at first, but after a few lens changes it was perfectly snappy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    The play is really limited to the forward (then back to 0) direction within the focus ring.

I don't mind the overall plastic feel, honestly. It mounts perfectly on, does so actually in a more rapid fashion than my other two lenses.

I checked out this lens at a camera shop in Portland a couple of weeks ago. I don't remember that one doing this, but I only held the camera for a few minutes.

4. phatspirit

phatspirit Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    Mine does it as you described. Very little movement but it does not effect the lense or manual focus. I think its normal for this 45mm plastic casing lense unit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Both my 12 and 45 have a little play in the focus ring. Doesn't seem to matter at all.

• Like Like x 1
  6. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Thanks guys. I won't worry about it!