Olympus 45mm odd aperture behavior!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by speedandstyle, Dec 29, 2012.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I got an Olympus 45mm f1.8 today and like the lens overall. However, I have found an odd behavior when fitted to my E-PL1. When it is fitted the aperture closes down to f2.8 or maybe f4. If I fit the lens to my E-PL2 the aperture opens up fully as it should. The lens functions on the E-PL1 but ends up making a heck of a lot of noise as the aperture opens and closes when autofocusing. Is this a firmware issue? Just an odd-ball thing about this lens on the E-PL1. I tested my Pan 20mm with a similarly large aperture and it does the same thing.

The other thing I noticed is that this lens is tighter fitting than any other lens I have. So tight on the E-PL1 that it is hard to get on and off but not so stiff that I worry about breaking it{but almost}.
  2. Malik

Malik New to Mu-43

Dec 16, 2012
    Bielsko-Biała, PL
    I have the same issue with my 75/1.8 after firmware update.
  3. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Dont worry about the tightness of the mount - this is quite common on some of the Olympus lenses including the 17mm - they loosen up a little with further use
  4. Malik

Malik New to Mu-43

Dec 16, 2012
    Bielsko-Biała, PL
    I think that odd aperture behavior is more important "problem" ;)
  5. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Mine is noisy on the E-pl1 and quiet on my om-d e-m5 so that might be normal, but I don't have any weird aperture behaviour. I agree with Malik that this might be a problem, it certainly isn't something I would accept.
  6. speedandstyle

Did a little more testing and it is the body and not the lens{es}. It sets the aperture of f2.8 when in standby. It does it on the 45mm, the 20mm, and the 14mm{can just barely tell since it's max aperture is 2.5}. All lenses function perfectly on the E-PL1 when you press the shutter. I am not going to worry since it does it on every lens capable above f2.8. The E-PL1 is my second/back-up body anyway. I hope to get an E-P3 soon and hopefully it will function like my E-PL2.
  7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Is live view boost turned on?
  8. speedandstyle

I am pretty sure that the live boost is not on but will check when I get home. I did find that other people have similar issues with this body.

Edit-I just checked and live boost is off on both the E-PL1 and 2 so that has nothing to do with it.

It seems that this issue affects the E-P1 as well as the E-PL1 but other Olympus models use maximum aperture.
  9. Malik

Malik New to Mu-43

Dec 16, 2012
    Bielsko-Biała, PL
    Very intresting thing is that this problem occurred after updating to 1.1 firmware version. On 1.0 there was no such things.
  10. fullbanani

fullbanani Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    Berlin, GER
    Seems to be a very common problem:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64H2ffsHSSo]Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8 lens on Olympus E-P2 - YouTube[/ame]
    It occurs on my E-P1, too. I hope it won't wear the material to much :(
  11. Malik

Malik New to Mu-43

Dec 16, 2012
    Bielsko-Biała, PL
    exactly the same !!! On my omd-em5 with z75/1.8
  12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I had the same issue with the PL 25/1.4 on my old E-PL1. It would usually be stopped down to about f/2.8 and meant that autofocus was quite noisy and was barely any faster than with the 20/1.7. My assumption was that the earlier Olympus bodies weren't optimised to work with lenses faster than f/2.8. By comparison, the later E-M5 model does not have this problem.
  13. Salt Peanuts

Salt Peanuts Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    My 45/1.8 is practically silent with my E-M5. My PL25, on the other hand, is a completely different story.
  14. CincinnatiDan

CincinnatiDan Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2011
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've had the 45 mm on my epm1 for the past week and just noticed the noise today for the first time. Maybe it's been doing it the whole week but today is the first day I'm noticing it.