Olympus 45mm for Disneyland

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by WayneG, Sep 6, 2012.

1. WayneG

WayneG New to Mu-43

Sep 6, 2012
    Hello, everyone. I'm looking for opinions on whether or not the Olympus 45mm would be a worthwhile lens to take with us on our trip Disneyland (in 2 days).
    I've done a fair amount of reading and understand that it's considered a good/great lens for the price.

I also know that it depends on what I intend to shoot, but I'm still learning so I can't say for sure what I intend to shoot.

Currently my bag is made up of the E-PL3, 14-42 kit lens and 40-150. I'm looking to all of you to offer advice as to whether or not I should grab it locally and take it with me, or hold off until I find that I "need" it.

Thanks in advance.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    20mm f1.7

since you have a kit zoom & 40-150..i would suggest panasonic 20mm f1.7 it's a great len IQ wise alittle slow on AF but i think it's worth it
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    The 45 would be a nice lens to take portrait pictures of your family while at the park.
  4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I would get both or lean more towards the 20/1.7. The 20/1.7 will be better suited for enviromental (e.g. with the castle in the backdrop) and group portraits, not to mention night shots of the buildings and fireworks. You may find the 45/1.8 to be hard to use especially in tight situations. But if you want to take half body shots of your kids or family, the 45/1.8 is an excellent performer.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WayneG

WayneG New to Mu-43

Sep 6, 2012
    The 20 is also something I've been considering. However, I haven't found one local. Thanks for the feedback.
  6. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    I would be concerned that the 45mm is slightly too long a focal length if you want the most flexibility out of the lens for this sort of trip and the P20mm would be a more practical solution. That said the O45mm is one of the sharpest m43 lenses out there and has lightning fast autofocus (unlike the the P20mm), so if you do go for it you're unlikely to regret it in the long run even if you do find it a little limited for your trip.

Hope you have a great time.
  7. colorado_photog

colorado_photog Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    For Disney World I always found the wider the better.
  8. Omni

Omni Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    I would rent a 20 for a few days. There are a few sites on the interwebs that rent lenses
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    No matter what, you can't go wrong buying the 45 - it's a beautiful lens and you will certainly find opportunities to use it on your trip and afterward. The 14-42 will work fine for wide shots - it's a better lens than many folks think. The 45 is a lens you can keep for a long time - go for it and find a 20 later. :cool:
  10. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Agreed.... Recently traveled to Epcot and shot mostly at 24-28 with my LX5. If I had my OMD at the time... I would either take my 14mm or 12-35.... I would lean more towards the 14mm due to smaller size.
  11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I recently came back from a trip Southern California. Didn't go to Disneyland, but did visit SeaWorld and Legoland in San Diego. The lenses I brought with me: 7-14, 12-50, 14-150, PL25, 45.

The lens I used most was the 7-14, followed by the PL25. The 12-50 was used when I wanted to shoot videos, while the 14-150 was used for when I am watching shows and want to get a close-up. As much as I liked the 45, it hardly made its way onto my camera at all during the entire trip...
  12. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    I just filtered my shots from Busch Gardens in LR4 for ones that used the 45 (I brought my whole kit all day). There were not many. Most of them were of the birds in Lorakeet Glen (one below). I used the 45 rather than the 45-175 because of the shaded aviary (need the faster lens).

I agree with the earlier posts about a wide, fast lens for indoors at Disney and for landscape shots. I have the Oly 14 and love it. The 20 is a bit faster, but slower to focus and problematic unless you have FW1.2.

The good news is you can get the 14 for very short money (<$200) on ebay as a pull from a kit.

Enjoy your trip and shot lots of frames.
  13. Psalty

Psalty New to Mu-43

Jun 27, 2012
    I've been to Disney World 3 times with my family in the last 3 years. The best combo I've found was a GX1 with the 14mm and 20mm. Spending all day at the park can be pretty grueling and having the lightest combo possible is very beneficial. I would typically just keep my GX1 with lens attached in a small pouch and the other pancake lens in my pocket. Also, as others have said, for Disney wider is better. It makes for better environmental portraits. You're also in cramped spaces pretty often where there is not enough room to back up and use a lens like the 45mm. I went through my pictures from my last trip and I see that I had my 14mm mounted for about 90% of them.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I'd agree with most of the other people, the 45mm isn't a lens I'd be jumping out to buy for this trip myself, especially since you've already got that focal length covered with your existing lenses. For me, the 45mm isn't used all that often... I usually take it out when I am specifically looking to get portraits or candids and/or in low light. The 14-140 I've used to get some great portraits and the 40-150 should work fine for that as well. With the extra focal length you can make up for some of the smaller aperture of the Oly 45mm and get a nice OOF background.

If you felt truly compelled to add another lens for the trip, a good fast prime in a "normal" focal length (20mm or 25mm) would be an excellent companion to your zoom range, especially if you're expecting to take any low light photos. However, I'd probably just bring what you have and work with it... by the end of the trip you'll have a much better idea of how best to effectively spend your money on lenses or gear. Unless you take a bunch of photos first, it's very hard to pick a new lens based on its individual qualities.
  15. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    OP - since you have 2 zooms, why not ask yourself which lens would fit best into your shooting style for times other than Disneyland? Any of the lenses mentioned would complement your zooms. Having one or two primes in addition your two zooms would be very nice.
  16. WayneG

WayneG New to Mu-43

Sep 6, 2012
    Thanks, everyone, for the input. I think given the lack of time (I'm not much of a planner) we'll take our chances with the existing lenses and look to add to the collection when we return. The 20 and 45 were definitely both on my list based on all of the information I'd gathered from reading here. Maybe I'll stumble upon a store with the 20 in the OC.

Thanks again.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Donsantos

Donsantos Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2012
    Just got back from Disneyland

I just got back from Disneyland and I only brought the 20mm 1.7 and 25mm 1.4. I would have to say even though I used the 25mm 1.4 most of the time it felt a bit too constrictive for Disneyland. I wish I had my 14mm.

• Like Like x 5
  18. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Wow.... Those are some great shots. Thanks for sharing
  19. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Great topic for someone who's getting ready for a quick trip to Disney World. I leave in 3 weeks and I've been debating on buying a new lens. I'm leaning towards the 14mm, but I need to do it soon. I know from past trips that wider is better at Disney. I plan to continue watching this thread.