Olympus 45mm f1.8 - Spec of dust inside lens...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mrjoshua, Nov 1, 2011.

1. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Hi All

I bought an Olympus 45mm f1.8 today and when I got back I noticed a solitary small spec of dust inside the lens.

It isn't very big at all, but I noticed it and I guess if I ever came to sell it, prospective buyers would notice it too.

So, do I return it and wait for another to come into stock, or do I keep it and get on with using it?

How common is this on new lenses?

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am not sure how common this is, or if it will even make any difference in the images, but I would recommend returning if you think it will bug you. They seem to be coming back in stock pretty frequently.
  3. DIS Ottawa

DIS Ottawa Guest

It's highly unlikely you'll ever see the speck in images, however, you're quite right that it could affect the resale value.

Personally, I'd return it. When I buy something new, I expect it to be defect free.

I've bought quite a few lenses and I've never seen dust in a new lens. Some lenses, e.g. the Canon 100-400 L which is a push-pull zoom, are referred to as dust pumps but they don't come with dust pre-installed at the factory.
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Unless someone tells me this could damage a lens, here's what I've done with great effect:

Turn on a vacuum cleaner, set it to not the highest power, and put it up to the rear mount side. I've cleaned probably a half dozen lenses this way (of course, this is assuming you are not standing in a dusty environment at the time). I've gotten some pretty big dust chunks off the lenses this way.

Only caveat is that while I've never had an issue, I've not done it with the 45/1.8, and I've no idea if the suction could knock anything loose. Start with a lower power setting, and only edge it up if the dust isn't moving.

Good luck!

(btw -- do a quick Google search. Here's one person using a vaccum on a compact camera: How to Clean Digital Camera Lens with a Vacuum Cleaner (with pictures) | wikiHow)
  5. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011

I think I'll try returning it first, but thanks for the tip!

Thanks everyone, hopefully they'll take it back without any drama, and that I can get another one this side of christmas.

6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    LOL, today I received a brand new Samsung NX200 and there was a hair inside the kit lens! Of course, it's not noticeable in any shots, but still it's disturbing. I guess quality control is pretty bad nowadays, and it applies to all manufacturers.
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    QA is probably up to their waist right now in either radioactive sludge or flood waters :(
  8. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I would return the lens. The return period is the only opportunity to correct the situation. Although it appears that demand for the 45mm f1.8 is high right now, another one will come along.
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I frequently get new lenses with dust inside, including several lenses which cost over $1000. I think it's normal (probably most lenses have a bit of dust if you look for it) and doesn't affect anything. I haven't had trouble selling them either. Most people know that a little dust doesn't affect performance.

Most lenses have some imperfection - a slightly weaker corner, a bit of dust, etc etc. To me it isn't worth the trouble to look for perfect specimens.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It's not worth worrying about, you're overreacting. It won't affect image quality, value, or any other tangible metric in any way. Live with it, and put it out of your mind.
  11. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I had a strand of hair get into a Canon G9 and it showed up distinctly in sky photos; guess it must have been on the sensor. Had to send it in for service; about $135 for "depilatory"...
  12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The miniaturised lenses and sensors of a compact like a Canon G9 are more susceptible to problems caused by foreign objects inside or on the lens. For example, just see what happens when you get a raindrop on the front of the lens.
  13. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Well, I returned it and they got me a replacement today, which looks fine.

Seems to hunt a little less too!

Thanks for your advice.