1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus 45mm f1.8 Flare?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by FastCorner, Oct 27, 2011.

1. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Anyone else noticing flare on their 45mm? It seems to happen when a strong light (compared to ambient) is at a shallow angle to the lens.

2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Are you using a filter?

3. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    No, I am not.

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Are you using a hood? One or the other will help...

5. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I haven't done any testing with my 45mm under such conditions, but I would except any lens to flare in strong, direct sunlight.

6. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    A filter makes things worse. A hood would be the way to go, although I have to say that I just got the 45/1.8 in today, and from the short amount of testing so far it seems that I have to point it very close to the sun to get any flare. It will flare, but I have to try hard (and this is without the hood).

7. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I've only gotten the lens today, so I guess I'm just learning its limitations. I think a hood could help, but we'll have to see when the LH-40B becomes more widely available in the US.

You can see rainbow-colored streaks on the upper left part of this picture. I've seen similar with the Olympus 9-18 when the sun is in the corner, so I guess this is a characteristic of Olympus lens design. I had to push up the black clipping in LR3 from +5 to +30 to compensate for the all the light bouncing around in the lens.

It tends to glow/flare with strong light sources in the frame. Although the amount is more than what you'd get with Panasonic 20mm f1.7, the result looks fine to me.

This is what actually bothers me. When you point the camera so the light source is out of the frame, you can start seeing a quarter circle of light in the direction of the light source.

And here it is again.

[​IMG]

This is the first picture where I noticed it, taken at dinner. The camera is facing due north and the sun was setting due west and behind the wooden panels. It must have been at just the right angle to induce this artifact.

I guess I've been spoiled by the Panasonic 20mm f1.7. It doesn't really exhibit any kind of flare at all.