Olympus 45mm f/1.8 vs Panny 45mm f/2.8?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by lillefot, Oct 17, 2011.

1. lillefot

lillefot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 7, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    I have read some rave reviews of the Oly 45mm.

My Panny 45mm is fast enough for me though, as I use it outdoor. Indoor I prefer wider focal lengths. I also do not think the OIS is a biggie the way I use it.

I don't use the Panny for macro, just some close ups of flowers, otherwise I use it as workaround street lens. I could sell the Panny, buy the Oly and still have money left.

Both are 45mm, but how does the fact that the Panny is a 1:1 macro mean in difference of what it shoots compared to the Oly? I never really understood macro, I suppose.

Am I missing any benefits with one or the other? Tempting to feed my G.A.S and even have money over, but trying to keep sensible. :wink:

I tried looking for previous threads on this topic, but didn't find any. If I've missed them, please help me find them. :smile:

2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Just as you said, you'll lose 1:1, meaning if you shot a dime up close, it would be the actual size on the sensor. With that, you'll have a longer minimum focusing distance with the oly as well. You can't get up on a subject. But it seems it might not be too much of an issue for you if it's for the street. Flowers would be an issue, but I've always been happy with cropping there =)

3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    IF you believe the PL45 is fast enough and good enough for you, then don't even think about it! :)

BUT, IF you don't shoot macro anyway (and don't mind the lack of OIS in the Oly lens), then it might be a good move to sell the PL45 and get the Oly 45 given that (1) it's cheaper; (2) it will give you a shallower DOF for better subject isolation; (3) you may be able to shoot with lower ISO than the PL45 (in spite of the PL45's OIS); and, (4) it will satisfy your GAS (temporarily anyway)!

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    45/1.8 is:

smaller and lighter
    faster focusing
    faster lens (wider aperture), so you get a bit more blurred backgrounds.

45/2.8 is:
    a wonderful lens with great color, contrast and rendition
    fabulous macro lens

If you are unsure, see if you can buy the 45/1.8 from a place with a good return policy, and try them out, side-by-side. Or check outlensrentals.com or another lens rental place. I'd test them both before switching. The 45/2.8 is still a very nice lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. lillefot

lillefot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 7, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks, guys. It's sold out again, so I have a few days to re-consider. I really like my PL45.

So thinking maybe I need both, one for flower photography and the other for walk around... :biggrin:

6. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    The Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 is primarily a portrait lens, while the Lumix 45mm f/2.8 is primarily a macro lens. They can both do a little bit of both (sort of), but they will each excel at what they were designed to do. Simple as that. If you feel that the Panasonic lens is fast enough for your needs, and it has shallow-enough DOF for the kinds of shots that you take, and you like macro, then stick with it. If you're looking for something more in your portraiture, or would like more DOF control sometimes, then you need the Zuiko. Or, and this is the case a lot of the time, you really need both! :smile:

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    f/1.8 is about 1 1/3 stops faster than f/2.8 and the PL45's stabilization gives about a two stop advantage so you may be able to use a lower ISO with the panny.

Fred

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I wish I could have both. Two of my favorite lenses ever.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Mu-43 App

9. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    I have both, although at one time I considered selling the PL45. However, I'm glad I kept both of them. During my hikes, I ALWAYS grab the PL45. Why? Well, I tried the Oly 1.8 outdoors and I find I always wind up having to stop down to 2.8 or higher anyways simply because of the 1/4000s shutter speed limitation, even at base ISO. I have always been happy with the performance of this lens outdoors. However there are other advantages namely a pseudo "2-in-1" lens, being both a portrait and a macro. I take a lot of both when I'm outside.

Inside of course it's another story. Under such circumstances, I always default to the Oly 1.8

My two cents.

Regards,
    AJW