1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 45mm f/1.8 Review

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jman, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Mookalafalas

Mookalafalas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Al
    Nice professional looking review, and nicely written. My only criticism is the lack of criticism. No lens is perfect, but you make this one sound that way, which kind of hurts your credibility, IMO. For example, right up there with "top Canon L portrait lenses"? Surely that's a bit strong? Canon's L lens closest to this range is the 85mm F1.2, which costs about $1900, and has some of the best bokeh of any lens that exists (although unexceptional focusing, as the glass element is the size of a crystal ball).
    Anyway, I'm getting one of these today, and your review makes me more excited even than I was before. Thanks for your work!

3. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I'll be critical of it if there's a serious fault. There isn't with this lens. I've owned the 85L, the 100l macro and the 135L on a Canon 1Ds II...the 45/1.8 is equal to those in my opinion in everything except shallow DOF ability.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Barb

Barb Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I have this lenses, arrived on Tuesday, and I am just as pleased with it as my Canon lenses (I have the 85 1.8 and the 70-200 2.8 which I use for portraits).

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    My biggest gripe with this lens is build. I think it's the finish they chose, it just seems to feel.. off to me. The bayonet thing is annoying too. Falls off for me all the time. Yeah, i could leave it off, but really, it should have been designed differently.

Though, I'm not sure I'd put it up there w/ the 135L. DOF aside, that is an amazing lens.

6. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I do agree with the build, and I actually have updated the review to comment more specifically on it in my conclusion. (I had mentioned it earlier, but elaborated on those thoughts at the end now.)

The 135L is an amazing lens...truly. And I think the 45/1.8 is in the same league optically. They are different beasts, to be sure, but the 45/1.8 is every bit as sharp and the rendition is just as pleasing to my eye. Of course, everyone's opinions will differ.

7. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    Jordan,

You showed the PL 45mm next to the Olympus 45mm. As I also have the PL 45mm, I am curious about your thoughts on the two.

Cliff