Olympus 45mm f/1.8 review

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by soundimageplus, Oct 7, 2011.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010

My review of the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens.

Soundimageplus: Olympus 45mm f/1.8 review

No surprises - I'm as impressed as everybody else. I've posted lots of full-size images (via flickr) many at f/1.8 on E-P3 and G3 cameras.
    • Like Like x 10
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Great work with the review. Members and contributions like this are what makes this forum a winner :thumbup:

I just got mine today :yahoo: and within 1 minute I got a huge smile on my face and felt at peace with my decision to burn the $$$$ on this baby. Although I do disagree with your sentiment that old legacy lenses have lost their relevance, well for myself anyway. Despite the fact that the Oly 45 is a pearl....my Takumar and Helios will still have a home with me, I cant see myself ever parting with their unique character or that character ever being replicated in an AF lens...I will just use them in a different way and I will inevitably become a little less reliant on them.
  3. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    I was speaking for myself, and despite my comments will probably be breaking out the adapters from time to time!!
  4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    The review is right on point David. Got my 45 just a couple of days ago, and enjoying it as well. It's definitely a keeper for me. The only question for me now is whether to keep the EP3 or G3 or neither, and get an EPL3 instead.
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I have the 45, but I just re-purchased a Takumar 50 1.4. Just for it's rendering.

Nice review!
  6. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Nice personal review, as always, David. My OM 50 1.4 will see less camera time now that I have the 45mm. Not ready to part with it!
  7. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Thanks David. Great review as per usual.

My 45 is on the FedEx truck now, I eagerly await its arrival at the front door sometime today.

After reading your review I feel even more certain that I'll not be carrying my legacy 45-50 mm glass around any longer, this will further lighten my load.

As sentimental as it's been to shoot my old Rokkor glass, and the Hexanons, I'm thrilled to have AF at such a nice portrait length in native glass for the ยต43.

Thanks again, Alan
  8. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    There is a pleasure to be got from using these film lenses, and just the feel of them on the cameras gives a "gravitas" to these little plastic boxes. I may well heed their call from time to time, but if I do I think it will be more out of a desire for experimentation rather than any concerns about quality.

It does indeed lighten the load. I went out yesterday with my G3 and the 12mm and 45mm. Unbelievably light. I've just spent a week lugging Nikons and zoom lenses around the English coastline and it was a real pleasure to carry an outfit that didn't make me sag!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Excelent review David. Too bad I don't have the coin for it right now.
  10. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Thanks for the review!

A quick unrelated question: Where can I find one of those brown leather "Olympus Pen" bags like you have behind your E-P3 toward the end of the review?
  11. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    A shop in the UK was selling them. Park cameras I think. Like a lot of Olympus accessories there aren't a lot about. I'm still trying to track down a lens hood for the 12mm.
  12. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Why not simply go to the official Olympus store ? That's where I got mine - great bag BTW. And nice to see you keep blogging ! ;-)
  13. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    a must have lens so far... hehe. nice review, keep it up! :biggrin: