1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 45mm f/1.8 Review by Pekka Potka

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Pekka Potka has posted a brief hands-on review of the highly anticipated Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens. Unlike some rumor sites, I won't show his images here without permission, direct link them, or give away his conclusions. Go to the source: PekkaPotka.com

Image samples from this lens have been in short supply. Pekka has promised to add some more image samples tomorrow, so be sure to check back!

• Like Like x 5
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks for the link Amin. I have this lens on order, but with the new VF2, I am wondering if maybe I'd keep my 50mm 2.0 OM macro. Based on the Bokeh here, I might still keep the OM. The PL25 will be my main shooter anyway.

I really like Pekka's reviews, and how he looks at lenses and cameras.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I can't wait for this lens to come out!

4. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    sounds promising... to buy or not to buy? :daz:

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'm curious to how it fast it focuses compared to the 12. I was very surprised on it's performance on my GF1. Looks promising so far.

6. Phoneography Pilgrim

Phoneography Pilgrim New to Mu-43

Jun 4, 2011
    Thanks for this info. Very helpful to keep us with this.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hmmm ... no comparisons to the oft-maligned 45/2.8? I thought for sure the first review would be a bashing of the PL45 ...

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    My only complaint is that I wish it had closer focusing distance.

9. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    I think 50cm is typical for this type of lens. My only complaint is it's not f1.4... No free lunch though, for this size and price it's probably a winner.

10. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Looks good, I'm a bit torn between the VF2 and using my legacy 50 or this arghhhhh

11. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    i'm in the same boat. i love my pricey contax g 45 legacy on my ep3, but i wish i had af. i did preorder the oly 45, but not sure if i want to keep both. i wish it was all metal as well like the 12, then maybe it's a slam dunk decision for me.

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    not really, cause if it was all metal, it'd be near the price of the 12/2 probably, heh

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I wish it were black, but I'll get over it!

14. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I think I'm going to order the VF2 today from Amazon and give my legacy lenses a try and see what I think, since I've had the 20mm I tend to use it most of the time anyway but if using an EVF makes my ability to use my legacy glass easier then I'll keep it and add the 45mm to the "to buy" list for later on this year / early next year, and probably pickup a used 14mm as I could really do with something wider.

At least if I order from Amazon if I don't like it I can send it back, a lot of places in the UK won't let you!

15. Trev Michaels

Trev Michaels New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2011
    Hamburg
    Is anyone with the Olympus fourthirds 50 aiming to get this mu-43 lens and will there be lots of 50's for sale soon?

16. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    If they don't make it in black, I won't be buying it! I don't know what's going on with 'silver season' at Olympus.... :rolleyes:

17. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I am looking forward to comparisons with the PL45

18. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I got the ZD 50mm f2 about 2 months ago (a few weeks before the 45 was announced!)

I've been debating whether to sell it once the 45mm comes out. The 50mm also serves as a pretty good macro lens, and I have a feeling the 50mm will still have better bokeh, mostly due to the effective 10mm focal length difference.

Once I get a feel for how the 45mm performs I'll know better. Right now it's 50/50 for me whether I'll keep the 50 or not :tongue:

19. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Any chance Olympus will ever make a m43 version of the famous 50mm f/2?

20. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    With a 45mm F1.8 in the line up I doubt it.... probably a macro lens at some point, but can't see it being 50mm....

• Like Like x 1