Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and 12mm f/2 Lenses, FL-300R Flash, and MCG-2 Grip Announced

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)

Screenshots of the new lens pages from OlympusAmerica.com

New Olympus® Micro Four Thirds® Lenses And Accesories Unleash Creative Power Of The PEN Family

High-Speed, Silent and Beautifully Designed, Two New Lenses Complement Latest Generation of PEN Cameras; New Flash and Grip Expand Creative Horizons

CENTER VALLEY, Pa., June 30, 2011 -- Two powerful, fast new prime lenses and two new accessories maximize the performance of the Olympus PEN® E-P3, E-PL3 and E-PM1 compact system cameras, also announced today, to help photographers capture their unique visions of the world. The M. Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f2.0 lens (24mm equivalent) and M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f1.8 lens (90mm equivalent) are Movie & Still Compatible (MSC) and feature high-speed, near-silent autofocus during still shooting and high-definition (HD) video capture. Joining them is the sleek, versatile FL-300R Compact Flash and the MCG-2 interchangeable Camera Grip available exclusively for the PEN E-P3.

The powerfully simple and growing Olympus PEN MICRO Four Thirds family now features eight fully-compatible MICRO Four Thirds lenses. The legendary Olympus Zuiko® Digital Four Thirds range of 27 high-quality lenses, OM-series and other manufacturers’ lenses can be attached to Olympus PEN cameras with optional adapters.

New High-Speed and Near-Silent MICRO Four Thirds Lenses
    • M. Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f2.0 lens: This high-speed, single-focal-length, wide-angle lens is ideal for shooting high-quality, dramatic landscapes and street scenes in low-light conditions. It has a beautiful full-metal body and a snap ring that enables photographers to pan focus with a distance indicator.
    • M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f1.8 lens: This single-focal-length portrait lens has a beautiful shallow depth of field which allows for background blurring effects that are not possible with the 14-42mm kit zoom lens. The MSC mechanism is great for tracking a moving child or pet, and provides a quick and silent focus mechanism for movies and still photography.

These two lenses join the new movie & still compatible (MSC) ED m14-42mm II R f3.5/5.6 zoom lens (28mm-84mm equivalent) which comes standard with the new PEN kit as well as the M. Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm II R f4.0-5.6 lens, an extremely light, wide-zoom range with a 35mm equivalent to 80-300mm lens that offers versatility and portability. Both have been designed to match the body design of the new generation of PEN cameras.

New Accessories for a Variety of Shooting Challenges
    • FL-300R Compact Flash: It functions as a bounce flash and wireless remote flash with enough power for snapshots. Photographers can use it in tandem with the camera’s built--in, pop-up flash, or as an alternative to it. It is designed in silver to match the new PEN lineup. Additionally, it has the ability to function wirelessly through a remote control function on the new E-P3, E-PL3 and E-PM1.
    • MCG-2 Exchangeable Camera Grip: Available exclusively for the PEN E-P3, this accessory easily and comfortably extends the camera’s grip area to fit any photographer’s hands perfectly. It is available in black and beige.

U.S. Pricing and Availability

M. Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f2.0 lens: Available Now
    Estimated Street Price: $799.99

MCG-2 Exchangeable Camera Grip: Available Now
    Estimated Street Price: $19.99

FL-300R Compact Flash: Available Now
    Estimated Street Price: $169.99

M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f1.8 lens: Available in September 2011
    Estimated Street Price: $399.99

Olympus Imaging America Inc. is a precision technology leader, designing and delivering award-winning products for consumer and professional markets.

Olympus Imaging America Inc. works collaboratively with its customers and its ultimate parent company, Olympus Corporation, to develop breakthrough technologies with revolutionary product design and functionality that enhances people’s lives every day. These include:
    • Digital Cameras
    • Professional and Interchangeable Lens System Cameras
    • Related Underwater Products and Accessories
    • Digital and Microcassette Recorders
    • Digital Media
    • Binoculars

Olympus Imaging America Inc. is responsible for sales in the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America. For more information, visit: Olympus Corporation of the Americas Inc..

*Specifications and design are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. All trademarks and registered trademarks listed herein are the property of their respective holders, in the US and/or other countries.

© 2011 Olympus Imaging America Inc.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. JCD

JCD Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Palermo, Italy
    ok the 12/2 but I thought a smaller prize for the 45mm :(
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    My only disappointment with the 45/1.8 is that I have to wait until September for availability!
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    Quite surprised and exited about these lenses, I think they are a good choice, a nice wide angle prime and an alternative to the expensive Panasonic 45.
    Although £500 for the 12mm, that's roughly the same price as the 9-18, but I think I would use the 12mm more.
    £250 for the 45 seems quite reasonable in the scheme of things.
    All metal bodies to, nice.
  5. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Sorry, I am also more in the fraction of the un-convinced ones. For a 57/1.8 with OIS I would gladly pay $400-500; the 45/1.8 is a compromise for me, and for a compromise $400 is a lot of money for me. I guess I will just continue playing with my Summicron R - although I wish it were an M for size reasons...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    These are lovely retro style metal lenses..... prices are reasonable too assuming really good performance. Just bought the Panaleica 45mm so I hope I have no regrets when the Oly 45 turns out to be a star.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    You may be in for a shock - replacing the $ sign with a £ sign is normally about what to expect for UK prices.... maybe slightly less, but definitely not a straight $ to £ conversion.... can't wait to see what the 45mm is like though....
  8. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    57/1.8 ? Is it one of these Ltd Pentax lenses, all the undisputed best in their own weird focal length ? It does sound unique awright yet a compromise too... compared to my Oly 60/1.5 with IS (thanks the E-P2) :biggrin:
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Assuming you can even get one in Oct (Look at the Panasonic 20mm)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    New lenses

My concern with Olympus is why produce such apparently high quality lenses for a camera built to shoot from a live view screen on the back of the camera? Using these nice new lenses at arm's length is not the route to quality images. Yes, I have a VH2 but that's like an add on. Guess I'll have to use the lenses on my GH2. Oly needs to produce a camera with a built in EVF.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm excited. Not because any particular specifics of this announcement...

Because the growth of the available native lenses from slowish zooms to high speed primes means (at least to me) that their marketing guys found a potential to grow the system to beyond the entry level market.

What's a 57/1.8? Why OIS? Olympus has in body IS.....

Wish all the best of luck to Olympus.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    It looks as if you can focus these lenses without the annoying focus-by-wire thingy. That is the real news.
  13. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Different strokes....even for just me!

Quality images at arms length vs the more stable posture at the eye is simply a function of shutter speed. In addition, if I'm looking for 'street' or candid shots, the 'dumb P&S posture' can deliver shots otherwise missed. No need to have the extra hump or VF-2 in such times.

I've found the flexibility of the VF-2 important in some circumstances, eg, macro work in bright conditions. I can look down through the VF rather than a tilted LCD on the G3, which may be hard to get critical focus in bright light.

Still...the G3 with IBIS would be tempting...

You see, I'm really rather schizophrenic!
  14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Of all the products they've announced it's that 45mm lens that has me smiling...
    I mostly use a 45mm F1.7 lens, so when I get too old to manually focus with EVF I can go right on to a nice looking AF lens.
    Nice looking is vitally important to hobbyists like me. :smile:

(The three bodies and their super AF sound great, but the fudged features between P3 & pL3 are just taking the Mickey.)
  15. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    And you can focus the 12mm lens like real lens with depth of field scales and all...
  16. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    They look lovely, but boo on the $800 price tag for the wide angle, I don't need another expensive wide angle option, I need a $400 one to get me in the game! :)
  17. sylvesterii

sylvesterii Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    Is the 14mm f/2.5 not an option? Not very pricey, decent performance from what I've seen. 2mm and 1/3 stop for $500.00 seems pretty high to me. I will probably go with the panasonic now.
  18. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010

12mm pre ordered

ill probably buy the 45mm when its released.

But ill wait for more reviews to decide to buy an EPx3 or to wait for an EPx4
  19. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I'm starting to wonder if the shorter back flange distance is making wideangles more complex to make for the mFT system. One would think that a 45mm lens would be more expensive than a 12mm lens.

But yes, I agree.
  20. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    Hmm, my search found a photo and a brief description here, but it's not listed in BH, Adorama or Amazon, not even on OlympusAmerica.
    Somehow it makes me doubt their "Available Now" claim.