Olympus 45mm 1.8 or Panasonic 25mm 1.4? Please help

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Bhupinder2002, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dear friends ..
    I need an advice . I have been planning to buy PL25 1.4 since last month, but recently I bumped into this Olympus 45mm 1.8 image thread and I am really impressed . I am quite confused now. I have my fav but annoying panny 20mm 1.7 with me and I love it. I was wondering if I should sell panny 20mm 1.7 and get PL 25 1.4 or retain 20mm and just add 45 mm 1.8 .
    I do shoot portraits of my little princess . I love this focal length . Most of shots from my Panny 45-200 are around 45-60 mm focal length
    Please help me ..
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  2. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Buy both the 25 and 45, then sell the lenses you don't use.

(this reply contains 0% sarcasm)

• Like Like x 2
  3. driftingbunnies

driftingbunnies New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2011
    Dallas
    I would retain the 20mm for now and get the 45. If you have the funds later, sell the 20 for the 25.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'd get the 45/1.8 first. But that's my all-time favorite focal length. If or when my budget allowed I'd consider swapping the 20/1.7 for the 25/1.4 or an improved 20mm if one if that happens in the meantime.

Fred

5. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    This statement says it all. You'll love the 45. Keep the 20 for walkaround. Save for the 25 and get it later.

6. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I'll hijack your thread for a moment Bhupinder, sorry about that. But I think this might help you make the decision as well.

I have the 45mm and 20mm and love both. How big an increment/jump is the 25mm from 20mm? Is it really that good? The AF speed doesn't bother me much and to me, the difference is minimal between 1.4 and 1.7. But other than these two factors, any other reason to upgrade from 20mm to 25mm? Is the IQ really that good?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I returned my PL25 and realized how truly unique Panny 20 is and repurchased it back. Not gonna part with it again. On Pen bodies, PL25 noise is too severe with PL25 (Panny 20 is totally mute in comparison). But also minimum focusing distance is much worse w/PL25. I often use Panny 20 for food shots and it's really awkward with PL25. To top it off, the size is much bigger (3x times) and it's 2x heavier. There us no difference in AF speed on my E-PL2 but it's noticeably faster on E-PM1 but not nearly as fast as Panny 14 or new R kit zoom. The difference between DoF and shutter speed is quite subtle.
    The overall IQ is a bit better with PL25 but not dramatically so. For shallow DoF and portraits Oly 45 would still be far superior choice and it's quite a bit smaller and lighter and totally silent.
    I don't view PL25 as a substitute or upgrade for Panny 20. It's a different lens entirely due to size alone.

• Like Like x 2
  8. veereshai

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Art,
    Thank you. That gives me a perspective of the differences. I think I'll hold on to my 20mm as it's my carry everywhere lens.

9. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States

I don't own the Panny 25 (I have the CV 25, f/0.95) and I have only used it for a few hours so I'll leave it to others to chime-in regarding long-term usage and ownership.

From what little use I have had, I will say that it focuses faster and has better bokeh than the Panny 20. For these two reasons alone, for me, it is worth acquiring. It is a different animal than the 20 and the CV 25.

It will not be as good a carryaround lens as the 20 since it is chunky. It will not be as good as a video lens as the CV 25.

For casual portraits and action shots, the Panny 25 will excel.

• Like Like x 1
  10. veereshai

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks 0dBm. For now, I think I'll stick to the panny 20mm. I have had my eyes on the CV 25mm for a long time, eventually that might be the one for me.

11. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    It's easy, do not sell the 20, get and 45/1.8 instead. 25 is a great lens, but it does not replace both of them. I have 20 and 45 and they are both excellent, but last time found myself using more the 45. 20 is just too short for face portraits as they came out distorted, almost same thing with 25. You will probably discover a new dimension of possibilities with 45 as I did.

I would replace 20 with faster focusing improved version only... one day I hope...

12. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    The PL25mm and Oly 45mm are quite different animals. I have both and consider the 25mm a much better all rounder and can take fantastic portraits as well. I sold my 20mm to get the 25mm, and even though some folk say what difference does 5mm make - I can say it does - Even if it was in my mind! It took buying the 20, then getting the 25 to find that out. The size is not an issue for me, as i don't put the camera in my pocket, and it's not that HUGE...I actually like how it feels on my Pen. Different strokes...

The Oly 45mm will get you wayyy better portraits than the 45-200 though - or more keepers in low light and quicker AF, and it's a lot cheaper that the 25mm...though not quite an all rounder.

Keep the lenses you love and use, and sell the rest!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The OP was right to decide to keep the Panny 20 and add the Oly 45... for now. That's because the PanaLeica 25 and Oly 45 are apples and oranges - different lenses with different jobs. At least this way, keeping the 20 allows the OP to have a lens in the "normal" range while adding the abilities of the 45.

• Like Like x 1
  14. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    25/1.4

If you have to choose one, and only one, go for the 25/1.4. Simply put, the 50mm focal length is the 'normal' or 'standard' for a reason. Not only does it approximate the angle of view of the human eye (roughly), but it was also the first lens of choice of many 'vintage' cameras. This 50mm lens helps one develops basic photography skills. My grandfather had a Canonet with a 40mm lens that I used Canonet G-III QL17 - Wikipedia and taught me a lot about photography. You want zoom? Sure--zoom with your feet. :)

Today, the 'standard' kit lens is a zoom lens. Nothing bad with many of them, but a 50mm FOV (in this case 25mm lens due to crop) is wonderful. Try it and you will discover what you can do.

At the same time, the optics and image output of the 25/1.4 from what I have seen (just rec'd my own for my new E-P3) is superb. The 50mm FOV will enable wonderful portraits as well as many standard angle pictures.

Just my $0.02.

15. Busiboy

Busiboy New to Mu-43

Dec 13, 2011
    The post above mine is misleading, the 25 is 'normal' on 4/3 and doesn't need to be referred to 35mm format,

Otherwise I'll refer to medium format focal lengths or large format : D

16. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    :rofl:

17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Hey, you're both right, phdezra and busiboy! :tongue:

But, just for the sake of conversation, I submit the following for your perusal:

Technically, the actual "normal" FOV in traditional film terms is the diagonal of a 35mm film frame... which is 43mm. Given that, I would argue that the Panasonic 20mm, which gives a FOV of 40mm in full-frame terms, is closer to that "normal" focal length.

Just sayin' :wink:

18. Bhupinder2002

Thanks once again . U know this is what I wanted someone else to tell me again . I have been thinking and asking me these questions again and again but as u know once u are infected with GAS and on the top of that u r in MFT forum u tend to make purchases which are not justified . I have just ordered Oly45mm 1.8 from HK for USD 337 with Fedex delivery and I think this is an awesome deal.
    I was a bit reluctant to get PL25 1.4 as it looks bigger , wasnt sure about better IQ than 20mm , and AF speed .

19. Bhupinder2002

Thanks for this push and pull..lol
    Push to keep panny 20mm and pull from buying PL25 ..
    Cheers
    :2thumbs:

20. Bhupinder2002

Thanks guys
    Thats why I love this forum.When ever u get an idea ..just share idea and get as many as brains work on it instead of just urs only.
    I am keeping Panny 20 mm and have ordered Olympus 45mm 1.8
    A few shots on Oly 45 mm1.5 mm thread sold me. I will do a series of street shots in Melbourne CBD soon ..
    Cheers