1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 45 kills off my legacy glass

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dixeyk, Apr 3, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have always been a pretty big fan of legacy glass. In fact it was the ease with which you can adapt legacy glass to m43 that got me here in the first place. I've had my share of nice lenses (I like fast 50's) and since getting the 45/1.8 I have gotten rid of most of them and the ones I kept I barely touch. Of the ones I've had may favorites were the Pen-F 40/1.4, OM 50/1.4 and Super Takumar 50/1.4. IMHO the Olympus 45 is sharper, has better bokeh and has AF to boot. I haven't missed any of the legacy lenses since I got it. I kept the Super Takumar mostly because its in great condition and I love the way it feels but it gets more use as a paperweight than anything else.

I'm mighty impressed. I might even go so far as to say that I like the 45 a wee bit better than my Panasonic 20 (it's close). I find the 20's FOV more useful and ultimately grab it more but the 45 is pretty freakin' great.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/6897223578/" title="Finally by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 6897223578_97a40757ec_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Finally"></a>

Panasonic G2 with Olympus 45/1.8

• Like Like x 15
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks Kevin for sharing my thoughts and passion for this tiny beast and Welcome to the club.
    I will call this lens as THE BEST MFT NATIVE PRIME LENS and BENCHMARK PORTRAIT LENS for MFT. The more u use it , more u fall in love .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks...do I get a lapel pin?

I really have been impressed by the 45. About the only real complaint I have (and it is shared by all native glass I have tried thus far) is that I don't like focus by wire and I wish it had an aperture dial (yes I realize the 12/2 has one but I have braces to pay for). That said, I think the combination of the P14, P20 and OLY45 suits almost all my needs. They also fit into a very small space.

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

That's a very captivating shot. :thumbup:

5. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    The only fast 85-135mm equiv. FL thus far...

• Like Like x 1
  6. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    Beautiful Picture!

7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I do enjoy oly 45 as well although I think the PL25 is still tops in my books. But I like you wish that both the 25 & 45 had an aperture ring. I still find that I prefer shooting with the 50 1.4 tak if the situation allows. There is just something about the handling and process of having to adjust aperture manually that makes it. Maybe it's that there is more to getting the shot, than just point and fire, the fact that it slows me down and helps to make me focus on the outcome. Also it feels like I have something of worth in my hands, the 45 just feels cheap. If it was a metal build maybe that would help me get over it. I truly like the oly 45, but I am enamored by the takumar and if it came down to it I'd let the oly go before tak.

• Like Like x 3
  8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

I really do like the Super Takumar but I think the Olympus has better IQ and my eyes like AF these days so I think I'd probably keep the Olympus. :biggrin:

9. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    I don't know what it is but I'm not nearly as fond of this lens as most people. I got my second copy yesterday and am comparing it to the PL45, not much difference. The reason I got another one is mainly due to all of these Oly45 love threads but I don't get it...Is it partly because it's relatively cheap (although the PL45 is only 1-200 more)? The difference in background blur between 1.8 and 2.8 is basically nothing and would likely only be seen if you looked at them side by side.

I'm not trying to hate on this lens, it's a fine lens, I just don't see anything very special from it. The PL25 is much better, as is the 25Nokton, 20f1.7, and even though the PL45 is a little bit more expensive, it's stabilized and does 1:1 macro!

...I guess what I'm saying is that I'm glad we have all these options and though I might prefer a different lens, they are both very good (though maybe a little over hyped) :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  10. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    You have expressed what's been running through my mind for a while now. I don't know what to do with couple of fast 50s that I have because I just don't seem to use them anymore. Though, one of it (OM 50) has been bought with extension tubes for macro work. If Olympus/Panasonic/Kenko (or anyone else) release extension tubes for micro four thirds mount, I'll happily buy them and sell of most of my macro gear.

11. veereshai

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Duke,

I have not used the PL 45mm, but from what I have seen, the colors on this are just fantastic. I usually process my photograph to get the right color that I like, but with this one, it's mostly been noise reduction, resize, sharpen and export. That's about it. I try to get the right WB even before I shoot, so that helps a bit as well.

12. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bhupinder2002

I beg to differ , I have both 45mm 1.8 and PL25 mm 1.4 and PL25 from IQ is no match for Oly 45 mm 1.8, I like focal length of PL 25 mm but IQ has been let down given the price of the lens . Now I borrowed PL45 mm 2.8 and It wasn't impressive either .We are getting the best MFT native prime money can get u .
    Cheers
    have a look at this..

P3310712.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bhupinder2002

Lol
    BENCHMARK NATIVE PORTRAIT LENS
    cheers

15. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I'd have to disagree. The Oly 45 and the PL25 are both very good in terms of IQ. I'm not a peeper but I can't see how the PL25 is no match for the 45. The differ in other factors of course - not at least price!

16. Bhupinder2002

PL25 mm 1.4 is good but Oly 45 mm 1.8 is very good .It has definite edge over PL 25 1.4 in IQ.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

17. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Actually the 12/2 DOES NOT HAVE an aperture dial. It's got a depth of field scale but there is no aperture control via the lens. You set aperture via the camera's controls as you do with other lenses. Manual focus is by wire.

What you can do is switch the lens from autofocus to manual focus and back by moving the depth of field scale ring forward and back along the lens body which is something no other lens I'm aware of allows, but which I also don't find all that useful personally though others may.

18. Bhupinder2002

Hi David ..Do u have Oly 45 mm 1.8?
    Cheers

19. veereshai

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Thank you so much BigTam, looks like I have been really irregular these days :frown:. I'll probably source these from US, will have to wait a bit for these I guess. But, nice, I am really excited with this development.

20. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes I do, and it's an extremely nice lens but tends to fall in a hole for my shooting. It isn't a long enough focal length for most of the stuff I want a longer lens for but it's also a bit too long for my tastes when I want to use a shorter focal length.

At the moment the lens that is on my camera most of the time is the 25mm. I really like the field of view for general use and the image quality is on a par with the 45mm in my view but I wish it were smaller so I could fit the camera in my normal go everywhere shoulder bag. I'm starting to think about looking for a little larger shoulder bag and regarding carrying the 25mm as exercise to stave off osteoporosis in my retirement. The 45mm wouldn't help me on that front :)

• Like Like x 2