Olympus 45 f/1.8, step-up rings, filters and hoods

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sfmurph, Mar 2, 2014.

1. sfmurph

sfmurph Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    San Francisco
    So I have a black Olympus 17mm f/1.8 and I'm getting a matching 45mm f/1.8 next week. I have kids, so I use UV filters to protect the lenses from accidental touches. The 45mm has a smaller filter size than the 17mm, and I have a 46mm polarizer for the 17. I know that some folks use a 39 → 46mm step-up ring on the 45mm lens to share filters. I usually buy UV filters that fit the lens and only use step-up rings for polarizers and ND filters, but I've seen that others just leave a step up ring on the 45mm. Does anyone put a 46mm UV filter on the 45mm lens via a step-up ring? Is that a dumb idea?

A related question is about lens hoods. I don't use them often, but I'm considering getting one for the 45mm. Would the JJC hood for the 45mm fit over a step up ring? Would the JJC hood for the 17mm attach to a filter or step-up ring on the 45mm?
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would definitely get a step-up ring for the 45mm lens. Using an ND filter on this lens is a great idea for outdoor portraits to maintain a wide aperture.

As for the lens hood, no the bayonet mount lens hood will not fit over the step-up ring. However, you could get something like this that just screws on to the step up ring or filter. I have one for my 45mm and step up ring, and it works out great.
  3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Ok I can fit a 46mm lens hood inside the hood and that fits so I think it should work but you will have to put the hood on first, is it worth a buck or two to try one out?
  4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I have a permanent step up ring on my 45. Having a common thread across most my lenses is awesome when sharing filters or just swapping lenses. I won't misplace lens caps!
  5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    For the record a 39-46 won't work as the size for the 45 is 37mm, so you'll need a 37-46 step up ring.
  6. sfmurph

sfmurph Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    San Francisco
    Yes, thank you. I wasn't looking at it and misremembered the filter size. I would have checked before ordering (I hope!)
  7. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I have all my lenses permanently mounted with whatever size to 58mm step up rings, so I can switch filter and lens caps without thinking about it
  8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I am using the same approach @ 52mm. 9-18, 12, 20, 45. All the same. 300, 14-140 not so much.
  9. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    What are you guys doing for lens hoods then with the permanently mounted step up rings.....
  10. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    I use a LIM'S SAH-SE37S1 on my 45mm and because of this thread (and buying a 25mm with a 46mm) just checked and the part you reverse for storage will go over a 46mm so it looks like a 39-46 can stay on and I can just us 46mm's :):)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    That's a very useful tip. I bought a metal screw-in hood for my 14-42IIr (37mm thread) and it actually is threaded for a 62mm filter at the front. That's a little bigger than some people would like, but it works too and was a few bucks.
  12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Well, the 9-18mm OEM hood fits as it is native 52mm. For the 12, I have cut down one of those rubber hoods, experimenting to get the point where the vignetting goes away. I also have a Nikon aluminum hood that I did the same thing with. Easy for me because I have a nice Logan lathe in my shop, but not feasible for most people. A belt sander would work but it would be a little tedious.

Truth be told, though, I am not using hoods very much. I did some experiments with the 12 and off-axis sunlight and found that the hood didn't make much difference. I do still use the OEM hood on my P14-140mm but that is really kind of silly because the hood is only effective at the 14mm end. I definitely use the hood on my 300mm.

I'm not hampered by any facts, but hoods used to be pretty critical in my film Nikon days and they don't seem to be that way now. My guess is that the manufacturers have made advances in developing the black internal coatings to a much higher absorption level. If the internal coating were truly black, 100% absorption, we wouldn't need hoods at all.

Incidentally, I picked 52mm because that was the film Nikon standard and there are tons of filters, caps, and hoods out there. My local photo dealer has a big box of Nikon hoods, mostly 52mm, and he will sell me whatever I want for $3-4 each.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey

I have exactly two screw on filters for this gear: CP and Variable ND. Both 58mm, which is (currently) my largest m43 lens. Step up rings from 37, 46, and 52.

I similarly use 77mm for my Nikon F-mount lenses.
  14. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012

Ah I see. Well Im thinking Im going to make a compromise and go with a two diameter filter setup instead. 58mm for my O75 & O40-150 and 46mm for my P14, O25 & O45.... this way all I really have to do is step up the O45 from 37mm to 46mm and the rest will just natively take 46mm or 58mm filters... this way lens hoods will work on all of them as well without issue.