1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 45 curiousness

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dixeyk, Mar 24, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I just got my Olympus 45 today (very impressive thing that it is) but I stumbled across something odd. It focuses faster on my Panasonic G2 than it does on my E-P3. The E-P3 seems to hunt quite a bit more. I need to go through and make sure the are set up the same but it kind of caught me by surprise. Very cool lens though. Excited to get it out today (it's not raining).

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Mine focuses fast but it also seems to hunt more than I thought it would on my E-PM1.

By comparison my 20mm is feels slower but hunts less.

Odd. Maybe its just me getting used to shooting at a longer focal length rather than the things I've been used too given the 20 has been glued to my camera for 18 months or so.

3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Welcome to the club Oly 45 , I wish I could send u a champaigne bottle ..... Cheers mate
    Yes its a wonderful little lens and more u use it more u are gonna fall in love with it . Now yes I also noticed it does struggle sometimes on my EPL2 and refuses to focus but I just move the focus point a bit up and down by moving camera which solves the problem . Then I refocus on the point where I wanted to and it does the job . But I think this is the best MFT native prime as for as value for money and optical performance goes .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

4. dd1

dd1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2011
    I thought it was just me, but I also felt my 45mm f1.8 focuses quicker on my G1 than on my E-PL2.

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Champagne.

Agreed, it is one heck of a lens. I am very happy with it...the E-P3 is another matter but the 45 attached to my G2 is sweet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I took several runs at it last night switching between my G2 and E-P3 and without a doubt on the G2 the 45 locks focus more quickly and with greater frequency. I gotta be doing something wrong.

7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The 45 is definitely one curious lens. My experience Thursday is that on some subjects it really does not AF well at all and others it is lightning quick. Low contrast subjects seem to give it fits. It's understandable but it is odd how the same subject focuses right away (albeit a lot more slowly) with the Panasonic 20. The results from the 45 are nothing short of spectacular but it does come with a bit of a learning curve. I think too that sometimes I am getting caught up in the longer close focus distance than my MF glass and I don't think I have made the switch mentally yet.

Still, it's a fun lens.

8. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Could it be that the cameras are set for different size focus zones? I remember reading that the size of the focus area can affect focus speed. I can't test this theory at the moment...being without a camera body. :rolleyes:

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That's a good idea...I'll give that a look.

10. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I've not figured it out yet either. Often, the 45mm finds focus under dimmer conditions I cannot do with a MF 50mm. Occasionally, in bright sunlight. it is still hunting when I force the shutter and I get a blurred shot. Guess I am too sloppy. Could disable the force.

11. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Could it be that the lens is not as "contrasty", smoother imaging?