1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus 45 advice: for portraits only?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ig7, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Trying to deside if I should keep Oly 45 or cell it. I have Pany 12-35, Oly 14-150 as well as Oly 45, which I only used a few times since I bought it. I usually use the camera for walk around general kind of shooting and find myself very limited by the 45 fl but I feel so guilty because it is considered one of holy trinities by everyone. So my question is: besides portraits, when is this lens used by others?
    Thanks

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I had the PL45, sold to fund an Olympus 45/1.8, and then recently switched back to the PL45. I was also having a tough time figuring out how to use the 90mm field of view, outside of portraits, which I rarely do, and so the close focus and macro of the PL45 provides a bit more usefulness in the field for me. Not sure if that helps you out at all!

3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I too found myself quite limited by the 45/1.8 do I sold it. It's an excellent lens but at the end of the day, it's all about your shooting style. I have the PL25 for walkaround shooting but used to also people watch with my 75-300.

I suggest you review your photos from your zoom lenses and buy a fast prime for the approximate focal length you use the most. That's how I found out I have a bunch of photos taken at ~75mm and decided the 75/1.8 for my next purchase.

E-M5, O75, PL25, O12, O75-300, P7-14

4. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    I mostly use it on food and people so... yeah, portraits. But it's now my everyday lens.

5. Ryan

Ryan Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    My 45 1.8 is my go to lens for everything i dont use the kit lens for at 14mm. I use the 45 for portraits, landscapes etc the sharpness and clarity over the kit lens is stunning, which is why i use it nearly 100% on my om-d. I will make panoramas too if i want a sharp wide view.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    This is a decision only you can make. If you don't find yourself using the 90mm equivalent too often, then sell it. Personally, the 45mm f/1.8 was my favourite :43: lens! But that's me and what I like. You have to decide for yourself.

Some examples of what I used the lens for:

p390002661.

[​IMG]

p453867918.

p437292702.

• Like Like x 4
  7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Basically, portraiture in the broadest sense of the word, mostly outdoor. I actually prefer a slightly longer focal (135mm equivalent) for portraits, but the 90 does OK. It's great for candids, for more compressed landscape shots, but above all it's a people/animals/objects lens. Also good for picking out detail.

If you're not using it, however, trade up for something you will use. I may well get the 75/1.8, and see which of the two I end up using most (I strongly suspect the latter, given that my 135L got a lot more use than my 105/2.8 macro lens for general purpose photography on fullframe, and that the 105/2.8 was a favourite on APS-C crop)

8. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Thanks everyone for their input. Will try to spend a day and see if I can adjust to one fl on the camera. Not really a prime shooter here, I am so used to zoom, even if it is 12-35.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Primes aren't meant to limit you to one focal length. They're meant to be used along with other primes. Thus the interchangeable lens system. :)

Even so though, it can be done. Many of us had nothing but a single 50mm in the film days, especially if using a "compact" camera with a fixed lens. If the lens was fixed back in the day, it was a 50mm not a zoom. It's only natural to walk up to your subject or away from it, rather than standing in one place like a lazy modern man. :)

10. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    More like a lazy modern woman :rofl: with a huge bag full of everything but an extra prime :smile:

I will just have to get used to swapping the lens depending on where I am and if moving around is not an option. I am relatively new to M43's and the idea of having an option to swap lenses to achieve a specific result.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, even if you have just one or two extra lenses, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes. That's why you hear so much of the "trinity". It's not because we're a religious bunch. xD If you keep your primes spread apart enough in focal length then they will give you very broad coverage.

25mm, 45mm, and 75mm is a nice trinity, by the way... ;)

12. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    It's not a bad idea to leave the house with just the one prime lens on your camera. If you're not making money with your photos, why not try it? Even if you miss some photo opportunities, you will more than make up for it by learning to "see" just like the lens, and you will really master that focal length. You will also discover new photo opportunities, the ones that are out there, just waiting for you to have that particular lens on your camera.

Instead of having the option of changing lenses, being limited to one lens makes you see the other options, the images that you can make with the lens that is on your camera. It really works, you might want to try it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I am going to do that.
    Thanks everyone

14. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    At first I think I was convinced that the 45mm would be relegated to portraits which I rarely do. But I began to pull it from the bag while landscape shooting and have been so pleased with the results. It's a great piece of glass and deserves a place in a prime lineup for all uses.

15. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Great point. I took the first 2000 pictures on this system 95% with the PL25. I was limited at times only having that lens, but I can now visualize that FOV by looking at things. Limiting yourself to a single prime can sure be awakening to your creativity.

I don't find myself using the 45mm much either to be honest, although I love the occasional result I get from it. I end up using the PL25 and now the 12-35 for portraits more often than not. I think the 75mm would be more useful in general for me because of the longer reach and I feel like the 100mm I have is a tad too long.