1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 45 1.8 for street work...Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dissembled, Jul 26, 2015.

1. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I'm wondering how the Olympus 45 fares when used capturing candid street portraits of people. Unfortunately, I only have one lens at the moment (which is the O25 1.8) so I can't experiment with that focal length, myself. Has anybody tried it out for that purpose? How did it fare? Is the lens simply too long for any adequate street work?

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's going to get you the same framing as the 25mm from about twice as far away. I don't think it's an odd street focal length at all.

I might also suggest the Sigma 60mm as another option. It's a little over twice as long (as opposed to a little under with the 45mm). If you are looking for more reach and/or a clear differentiation from the 25mm, I think the 60mm might be a little better suited unless you really need the f1.8 for low light.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I second the Sigma recommendation. It's the one I settled on for portrait length, and I also own the 25mm f1.8.

4. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I use it all the time for street work in combination with my Fuji X100T with 28mm conversion lens attached for a 28/90 combo. The Fuji when I can get in close and my E-M5 Mk.II with 45/1.8 when I need to keep a distance.

I also have the O25/1.8 and the two lenses make for a nice two lens combo

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  5. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately though, I've had poor experiences with Sigma lenses in the past. (Sigma 30 1.4 for 4/3; Sigma 50 1.4 for Canon EOS ; Sigma 30 2.8 for NEX Mirrorless) I also think that 60mm is way too long for me, sadly.

Gauging from the photos of the lens samples page, the Olympus 45 is a huge bokeh monster! And I love its OOF rendering. So very creamy!

• Like Like x 1
  6. hwan

hwan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    St Louis, MO
    If you turn on the 2x digital teleconverter, you'll get 50mm, which is just slightly longer than the 45mm. If 50mm is too tight, 45mm probably will be too.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Thanks for that tip. I'll try it out.

8. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    If it's too long, that's a good reason not to get the Sigma, but don't let negative experiences be your deciding factor. The 60mm really is an inspired lens.

9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have the Sigma 60/2.8 and it has superb optics, but the AF speed is considerably slower than either the O 25/1.8 or 45/1.8.

If you are comfortable with the working distance between you and your subjects, and you like the look you get with the 25, I'm not sure what the 45 will give you.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I echo the comments regarding the Sigma 60mm. The 120mm (35mm FF FOV) gives you a little bit more shooting distance to photograph your subject. The 45mm is good, but it comes up a bit short unless you're in a dense shooting location. My take is the Sigma is the better street lens, while the 45mm is the better portrait lens.

A couple samples I shot with both lenses!

Sigma 60mm + E-M10:
    guy_60_01_web.

Olympus 45mm + E-M10:
    dtla_17.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  12. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Hmmm i am also recommended Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art. The performance is equal with 45mm f1.8, with more reasonable price ;)

19919574386_c6627c92e3_b.

• Like Like x 2
  13. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I also wouldn't ever call it slow to focus.

14. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    People in the USA can get so weirdly aggressive or confrontational when you take their picture in public... it makes me feel the 45mm is becoming a better and better choice. Distance is good in the USA.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I own the O60/2.8 and while I've used it for street, it's not an optimum focal length if you live in a dense city with a lot of people. I find it's much harder to get a shot without other subjects getting in the way due to the distance as well as not being able to get enough of the background and surroundings. It's a lens better suited to portraits and street portraits rather than street or urban photography in the true sense.

The O45/1.8 is about as far as I feel comfortable shooting and really prefer 28/35/50 focal lengths for street shooting and getting closer to the action as well being able to get enough of the background to tell a story.

16. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I prefer a focal length closer to what we perceive with the human vision system - some will say 50mm, others slightly wider at 40mm (in full frame 35mm terms). I also like getting close, to mingle, it gives a better sense of intimacy to the shot. I think I use the PL15mm more often than not and consider the 45mm a bit of a specialty lens, something reserved for private detective type reportage. That said, I recently acquired a 12-40 f2.8, but it's a dead give away, people tend to shy away when they see the big guns.
    Use whatever you're comfortable with, but at 45mm I feel you may be too far removed from the action. With a short lens you can always walk forwards, at 45mm you've limited your options.

17. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Privacy is a hot-button topic here. We feel like nearly everyone is out to spy on us for various purposes, not saying other nations don't feel the same way, but I think it is a more recent development here, it does make street photography hard though. Not that I've ever been confronted, but I usually don't take the risky shots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    If you're uncomfortable being up front about taking peoples pictures take an easy work around. Tether the camera to your phone and hold it in your right hand at your waist (I use a peak design wrist strap so the camera can't be snatched and I can't drop it), walk around and look at your phone like 90% of people these days, if you see a picture you like snap it using the shutter release on your phone.

No one will notice or care that you're even carrying a camera.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Does anyone like to be photographed randomly by strangers? I don't know if nationality has a ton to do with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1