Olympus 40-150mm R vs MSC

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Art, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Has anyone tried to compare these two lenses on new Oly bodies to see if the new R version (firmware v.1.1) focuses faster than the old MSC version? Olympus has released v1.1 firmware for 14-42mm II MSC & 14-150mm MSC lenses to match the AF speed of new R equivalents while 40-150mm MSC still has firmware v.1.0 with no update in sight.
    I can definitely attest that there was marked AF improvement especially in low light when I updated 14-150mm to firmware v.1.1 on E-PM1. There was no difference on E-PL2.

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 All-Pro

I don't need to have the new version or an Olympus body, I can guarantee you that there won't be a difference. The 40-150mm was already an R lens; Olympus' marketing department just hadn't come up with the designation yet, so it wasn't marked as one. The "new version" is a different color and has an R in the name. Otherwise, they haven't changed one mechanical aspect about it.

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm talking about firmware which they did change. 14-42mm II got firmware v1.1 update to match AF speed of 14-42mm IIR version which comes preloaded with new firmware already.
    40-150mm R also has v1.1 preloaded while 40-150 is still v.1 with no update available...
    When I updated 14-150 lens to v.1.1 (to match AF speed of R kit lens) there was definately noticeable bump in AF speed especially in low light. It became instantenous even at small apertures on new Oly body like E-PM1 but no dufference on E-PL2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.