1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 40-150mm, 'R' version difference?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jagged, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Jagged

Jagged Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    New Zealand
    Jeremy
    I'm thinking about picking up a s/h or refurbed telephoto for my Pana GX1 and the Oly 40-150 is equivilant to my old dlsr tele, is at a great price and has pretty good IQ to boot.

There is about a $50-75 price difference between the original and the new R version, so I was wondering what the difference between the two versions is? From what I can make out it seems to be purely cosmetic 'upgrade'?

Can anyone comment on build quality?

2. winrow3745

winrow3745 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Supposedly cosmetic only.

3. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    I asked the Olympus help center that question and got the same answer. The "R" means it's simply a cosmetic change.

4. m43shooter

m43shooter Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Belgium
    Phil
    I've been told by my dealer the "R" version is an upgrade for silent AF using video.
    I only can tell what I'm being told...

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Unfortunately your dealer is wrong. They are identical optically, mechanically and in terms of firmware.

DH

6. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Yeah if you compare them here, they are virtually the same right down to weight and placement of elements.

7. kentomas

kentomas New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2012
    No! No! No! I keep reading statements like this, which are incorrect. Same number of elements in exactly the same configuration, except that the original has one ED element and the R version has the same ED element plus one HR element. I also thought that when first released it was stated that there were improvements to the focusing system.

The second point I may be wrong on, but the first point I am not - look very carefully at the specs and diagrams on Olympus sites.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    From the Olympus Asia product site:

40-150: "13 Elements in 10 Groups, including ED lens & HR lens"

[​IMG]

40-150R: "13 Elements in 10 Groups, ED lens & HR lens"

[​IMG]

DH

• Like Like x 1
  9. kentomas

kentomas New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2012
    Well there's some confusion as what you have just posted is contradicting what is shown on both the UK & US sites. Very annoying that they can't even get it right themselves.

10. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    I had read about the R version having the HR element, but obviously there seems to be conflicting info.

11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Different optically?

Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

According to the MTF charts the(se) lenses exactly the same optically at 40mm and 150mm. I'm not certain but this would be pretty tricky to do with different optical systems.

12. kentomas

kentomas New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2012
    I emailed Olympus Europe to ask for clarification. They confirm that the only changes are cosmetic. So apologies to those of you advocating this position. As you will see from the details below copied from the Olympus UK web site, Olympus themselves seem to be confused. The US website is displaying the same information. I wonder how many other Olympus sites are also incorrect and whether they will bother to correct it now the error has been pointed out to them.

[​IMG]

Lens Construction
    Lens configuration 13 lenses / 10 groups
    Lens mechanism Inner focus with screw drive mechanism
    ED lens 1
    Angle of view 30 - 8.2 °
    Closest focusing distance 0.9 m
    Maximum image magnification 0.16 x (Micro Four Thirds) / 0.32 x (35mm format)

[​IMG]

Lens Construction
    Lens configuration 13 lenses / 10 groups
    Lens mechanism Inner focus with screw drive mechanism
    ED lens elements 1
    HR elements 1
    Angle of view 30 - 8.2 °
    Closest focusing distance 0.9 m
    Maximum image magnification 0.16 x (Micro Four Thirds) / 0.32 x (35mm format)

13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    My 40 - 150 is an "R". When I purchased it on-line I called the retailer (major) and asked what the difference was between what looked like two identical lenses on their website. I was told that the "R" had an HR element.

14. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    From the diagram it looks like the HR element is in place for the non-R version, but not highlighted.

Marketing fail.

15. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I don't notice any difference in operation or performance which is a very good thing imo. I do prefer the cosmetic difference.

[​IMG]

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That is some fine looking kit! What's the half case you're using? I've been thinking of getting one for my GX1.

17. Biggstr

Biggstr Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Ashburn, VA
    I've found and reported mistakes on the Olympus USA website before. They thanked me and corrected them.

18. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
  19. Jagged

Jagged Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    New Zealand
    Jeremy
    Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for that clarification kentomas, it's always fun to try cut through the marketing crap. As Strand said it looks like they are just highlighting the HR element that was already part of the design and using the MSC (Movie and Stills compatible) label on it, that was my original thinking that caused be to start this thread.

They are still showing the ED version on the R page of the Oly US site, second photo in the "product views" LOL
    M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150 mm f4.0-5.6 R

mnhoj, good to know they both perform well on the GX1 :)

Now to get this old Tamron 70-300mm AF (from my Canon 350D) sold and get this on order! :D