1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 40-150mm R not very securely mounted?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BB88, Jan 16, 2013.

1. BB88

BB88 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    I just bought the Olympus 40-150mm R lens for use on my E-PM1. I found that even after "securely" mounting it on the body, I can still very slightly rotate the lens (by about 0.5mm). Is that normal?

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I don't know if it's normal, I had one for awhile and don't remember any movement but I don't think it's a problem as long as you can't rotate it far enough to remove it without pressing the release button.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BB88

BB88 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    I tried the kit 14-42mm lens, while I cannot rotate it as much, it's still not 100% secure. Not sure if it's the plastic mount, or the camera, or if it is the same with all the lens.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I've a 40-150mm; it isn't loose on my EM-5 or EPL-1.

HTH

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  5. BB88

BB88 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    It isn't exactly loose, but if I rotated a bit harder, it moves a little bit.
    Maybe I should go back to the store and try another one.

6. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Have one on my OMD right now and it won't budge.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim

Yep, couldn't hurt to try another one.

Mine has no play at all, tested on two bodies. Once it clicks 'on', it's on.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    No play on two bodies here as well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BB88

BB88 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    I went to the store and tested another 40-150mm R, 40-150mm original, and even a Panasonic 20mm pancake. All have the same "problem". I also tried another E-PM2 with the kit 14-42mm and same thing. Not sure it everyone actually understand what the issue I was describing here?

10. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    You're speaking of a rotational play rather than a longitudinal play, correct? If you attempt to rotate the lens you get a very small amount of play, but if you attempt to "rock" the lens by holding the camera in one hand and the front end of the lens in the other you do not experience movement?

My experience may not be valid, as I am using an OM-E EM-5 and an EPL-1 for testing rather than an E-PM2. I can test again if you can confirm you are speaking of rotational rather than longitudinal play, or confirm that my description of the issue is incorrect.

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  11. BB88

BB88 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    Correct, I'm speaking of a rotational movement. Thanks for testing!

12. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim

O.K., I mounted and really put rotational pressure on the lens - to the point where any more would have caused concern with damaging the mount - and I can get the 'red dot' on the lens to wiggle barely.

The amount of movement was miniscule and the amount of rotational force was extreme - more than one would, for instance, use in opening up a recalcitrant jar of pickles :eek:.

I'm pretty sure that the amount of movement was considerably less and the force used was considerably more than you are getting, based on your description. It would be difficult actually assign the word 'movement', rather I think I'm flexing the mount with the force applied rather than actually seeing rotational movement.

I'm not certain this helps you out, other than confirming that "mine is tighter than yours". I would assume that, since you've tried multiple lenses with at least two bodies that you're seeing movement that is within the operational specifications as specified by Olympus.

If your mount doesn't rattle :)eek:), or allow light leakage, or affect focus (especially at 'infinity') then I don't think if it were my gear I would be concerned. Of course your mileage may vary - I tend to treat camera gear like I do SnapOn screwdrivers; I don't abuse 'em, but I don't baby them beyond what their design requires either.

You might want to contact Olympus service to register the issue:

Customer Service & Repair Center

They may be able to confirm the rotational allowance specifications.

Regards,

Jim

13. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    So long as the body contacts remain in contact with the lens contacts (and there would need to be a significant about of rotation before they lost contact), rotational movement has no effect on lens/image performance. The amount of slop depends on the difference in diameter between the locking pin on the body and the hole on the lens. Set the clearance too small and the pin could bind in the hole and make it hard to remove the lens.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BB88

BB88 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    The only thing that bothers me is when I turn the zoom range to either end, it will sometimes "move" that little bit, which made me think the lens has been unlocked

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Mine has a little bit of play, but it take a decent amount of force to reveal it. I think all my lenses do. Certainly the Panasonic 25/1.4 and the Olympus 12-50 exhibit the same slight rotation if I try and turn them.

16. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    O.K., checked mine again, focusing (no pun intended, but I'll take what I can get :biggrin:) on the zoom feature. Results - no movement of lens.

HTH

Jim

17. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    There's a locking pin in the camera body that fit's into a shallow oval slot in the base of the lens. By design there's a small amount of clearance between the width of the slot and the diameter of the locking pin. This is the cause of the slight rotational movement you're detecting. Force it beyond where it belongs and you'll bend the locking pin or wallow out the slot in the lens.