Olympus 40-150mm on Panasonic GF2?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by keith1200rs, Dec 9, 2011.

1. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire

Has anyone used the Olympus 40-150mm on a Panasonic GF1/2/3? Having given up on the 45-175mm X lens due to poor OIS I am looking for an alternative. The Panasonic 45-200mm is one option which has OIS, but is heavy. The Olympus 40-150mm is half the weight but no OIS. With the GF2, in the short time I had the 45-175mm I noticed the image stabilising was useful for framing and focusing the picture at the long end (but useless if you wanted a sharp picture as it happens).

So, I have wondering if anyone has used the combination and finds the lack of image stabilising a problem, or if it is fine provided you keep the shutter speed high? I don't have an EVF, which may help with framing (I am more used to DSLRs) but I don't plan on using an EVF - I am trying to keep size and weight down.

2. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Hi Keith, I'm sorry I can't help you with your question but did you upgrade the firmware of your lens? It's supposed to give improved stability of the OIS.

What I do not understand is why you would accept a lens without any form of stabilisation instead of keeping the Panny lens and switch off OIS when you suspect it does not function satisfactory? Just curious :smile:.
  3. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    I've heard mixed reviews about the firmware update resolving the problems. The Oly lens will work fine though obviously no stabilisation means you can't hand hold the camera in low light. I had an Olympus e410 without stabilisation for 5 years with a 150mm telephoto. Occasionally images would be too blurred to keep, most of the time it was fine.

Personally I'm waiting to see if they resolve the issue on the X series lens. The 45-200 is significantly bigger and I prefer having OIS and the metal mount of the 45-175 over the Oly 40-150.
  4. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    I sent the lens back and got a refund. I upgraded the firmware but it was still pretty bad. The reason for not keeping it is simply that the OIS doesn't work. In fact it is worse than that - I got sharper images with it turned off. Not much point paying for features that don't work. The only time it seemed to do any good is when the shutter speed is 1/30s or less but the main reason for having it is for the range 1/60 to maybe 1/500s where handholding it at 175mm is not so easy.

My main concern with the Olympus is the lack of image stabilising while framing. With the 45-175mm you would have to turn off the OIS so wouldn't even have that benefit. I am still getting used to a camera without a viewfinder - I was used to hand holding my Nikon DSLR with long lenses but without a viewfinder it is different.

I am also hoping they fix the 45-175mm in which case I will try one again but if nothing happens soon I will buy something else - I have no long lens at the moment.