1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus 40-150mm lens for Oly MFT

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by deserttramper, Dec 18, 2011.

1. deserttramper

deserttramper New to Mu-43

Dec 18, 2011
    Hi,

I am happy to be a new MFT user ( E -p3) and this is my first post. Thanks for making this resource possible.

Hope someone here can help me understand difference between these two lenses listed on B and H:

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 R Lens (Black)
    B&H #OL401504B *•*Mfr #V315030BU000 Free Shipping (USA)-- this version has a silver line around it

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Lens (Black)
    B&H #OL4015040B *•*Mfr #261505 Free Shipping (USA)-- this version has a blue line around it

They are identical in appearance except the less expensive version has a blue line going around the barrel, and the more expensive one has a silver line.
    The specs seem to be the same. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just buy the cheaper one? What is the significance of the color of the line?

Thanks!
    deserttramper

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The R versions came out with the newest pens, and have different stylings. The mk ii version is an older styling.

As far as I know, there are no internal differences, only cosmetic, so save some money!

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    At least once you upgrade the firmware in the Mark II version. Then it will perform exactly like the II R version, including processing speed. :) 

4. deserttramper

deserttramper New to Mu-43

Dec 18, 2011
    Thanks for the speedy replies and clarification. So the blue line version must be the older II version.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I wasnt aware the 40-150 had an FW upgrade available, does it?

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I don't believe so. The m.ZD 40-150 R uses the same firmware as the original m.ZD 40-150. The only difference is the styling.

DH

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    No firmware upgrade available for 40-150mm MSC, don't know about R

8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I thought the 'R' variants focussed faster with the latest generation of Pens?

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No. R and non-R versions with current firmware have the same AF speed, both on newer and older Pens. The only difference with the R versions are the styling and the fact that the 14-42IIR initially shipped with a newer firmware (the 14-42II has since been updated to match).

In short, R or original MSC versions are equally good at AF.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.