1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 40-150mm lens for Oly MFT

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by deserttramper, Dec 18, 2011.

1. deserttramper

deserttramper New to Mu-43

Dec 18, 2011
    Hi,

I am happy to be a new MFT user ( E -p3) and this is my first post. Thanks for making this resource possible.

Hope someone here can help me understand difference between these two lenses listed on B and H:

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 R Lens (Black)
    B&H #OL401504B *•*Mfr #V315030BU000 Free Shipping (USA)-- this version has a silver line around it

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Lens (Black)
    B&H #OL4015040B *•*Mfr #261505 Free Shipping (USA)-- this version has a blue line around it

They are identical in appearance except the less expensive version has a blue line going around the barrel, and the more expensive one has a silver line.
    The specs seem to be the same. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just buy the cheaper one? What is the significance of the color of the line?

Thanks!
    deserttramper

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The R versions came out with the newest pens, and have different stylings. The mk ii version is an older styling.

As far as I know, there are no internal differences, only cosmetic, so save some money!

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    At least once you upgrade the firmware in the Mark II version. Then it will perform exactly like the II R version, including processing speed. :)

4. deserttramper

deserttramper New to Mu-43

Dec 18, 2011
    Thanks for the speedy replies and clarification. So the blue line version must be the older II version.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I wasnt aware the 40-150 had an FW upgrade available, does it?

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I don't believe so. The m.ZD 40-150 R uses the same firmware as the original m.ZD 40-150. The only difference is the styling.

DH

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    No firmware upgrade available for 40-150mm MSC, don't know about R

8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I thought the 'R' variants focussed faster with the latest generation of Pens?

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No. R and non-R versions with current firmware have the same AF speed, both on newer and older Pens. The only difference with the R versions are the styling and the fact that the 14-42IIR initially shipped with a newer firmware (the 14-42II has since been updated to match).

In short, R or original MSC versions are equally good at AF.

DH

• Like Like x 1