Olympus 40-150mm f/4-5.6 buying a hood

richardp

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Richard
Hi all,
I know this lens has been around for years but I just got one. So sorry if these are dumb questions.

Firstly, I'm thinking of getting a hood to avoid flare, but if it is effective at 150mm won't there be vignetting at 40mm?

I thought about getting one of those rubber hoods that allow you to change shape for different focal lengths. But I read somewhere that you need to be careful about adding too much weight on an autofocus lens as it can overload the motor. Will this be an issue?

Thanks for any advice

Richard

twigboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
(in RE: to Olympus 40-150mm f/4-5.6 buying a hood, because this post was moved to here)

Although I don't recall flare (are you getting flare?) using the foldable rubber hoods works. Even if there is vignetting at 40mm collapsing it down a notch should do.

Last edited:

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
@richardp the focusing is internal, while the zoom is manual and telescopic. The hood won’t cause an issue with operation. I have a JJC rigid plastic hood that has no vignetting and can screw on reversed for travel and storage. Works very well.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Firstly, I'm thinking of getting a hood to avoid flare, but if it is effective at 150mm won't there be vignetting at 40mm?

Richard
The hood is designed for 40mm, so won't vignette at 40mm.
But it is under-shading at 150mm. If you want an effective hood at 150mm you have to DiY a longer hood. Maybe black construction paper around the hood to make it longer.

fStop16

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Erol
Hi all,
I know this lens has been around for years but I just got one. So sorry if these are dumb questions.

I thought about getting one of those rubber hoods that allow you to change shape for different focal lengths. But I read somewhere that you need to be careful about adding too much weight on an autofocus lens as it can overload the motor. Will this be an issue?

Thanks for any advice

Richard
I bought the Olympus lens hood but it was huge and expensive. I saw Rob Trek on YouTube and he used a 58mm screw in lens hood. It was one forth the price of the Olympus hood. I have had no problems at any focal length with the 58mm hood. Cheap to try the 58mm lens hood. Obout $7 on Amazon.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I bought the Olympus hood because it was fairly reasonable when I first got the lens years ago. I bet the JJC would work fine.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Olympus HOOD LENS 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 LH-61D
$17.83
Get it as soon as Sun, Jun 16
FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JJC LH-J61D Black Bayonet Lens Hood for Olympus 40-150mm f/4-5.6 Zuiko ED Zoom Lens Replaces OLYMPUS Lens Hood LH-61D
$7.99
Get it as soon as Sun, Jun 16
FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon
Only 1 left in stock - order soon.

richardp

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Richard
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Just to clarify, I haven't bought a hood yet so I don't have examples of problems.

I'll try the jjc one since it's cheap and everyone seems happy with it. If under shading at longer focal lengths is a problem I'll try a 58mm rubber one.

Good to know the manual zoom means no problems overloading the motor. Have to wonder why all zooms aren't manual!

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
One warning about the JJC plastic hoods.
Most of the plastic JJC hoods that I have and used, do NOT fit right, out of the box.
I don't know if it is poor design (incorrect specs) or if the plastic hood shrank after being removed from the mold.
I think except for one hood, I have had to shave the hood, to give it enough clearance to properly fit onto the lens without excessive pressure to push it on, or turn it to lock.

Alexlotl

Mu-43 Regular
This is one of the Olympus hoods that’s a hangover from the old non-micro 4/3 days, which means there are usually plenty second hand on eBay for the same price as a JJC.

Unlike the hood for the 75-300 (another 4/3rds holdover) this one isn’t that much wider than the lens barrel, so it’s not too much of a space hog when reversed for storage. I’d recommend it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom