Showcase Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO Image Thread

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
Even if you can't actually see many stars, just aim upwards and hope for the best.
That would be really helpful, thanks.
Does moonlight matter? We’re about a week from full so three weeks until nearly moonless night

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
8800E3AE-D309-4B63-B880-E4E034851852.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Found these 2 on a leaf, swaying in a breeze, in and out of focus and in and out of light and shadow. Changed to MF, this is the best of a serie of 6. Should have stopped down, for more DOF. Nevertheless happy with the effort.

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
6954F486-A2EA-4723-881D-AA5DCAE857A3.jpeg

D

Deleted member 29285

Does moonlight matter? We’re about a week from full so three weeks until nearly moonless night

Yes, the moon is a killer. Best to wait at least a week and try for a time slot after the sun sets, and before the moon rises.
Cheers,

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
You can actually see stars in broad daylight.
I've done "star observations" to determine azimuths. Just need to know where to look. Quite fascinating to see this distant object twinkling at you through the scope.
Get down a well and looking up at the sky you can see stars in daylight.
Probably not the easiest or best for photography though.

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
200531_0195_DxO.jpg

Hard to get focus right of a leave in the wind.

D

Deleted member 29884

This lens never stops to surprise me with its versatility and quality
Želiv_2020-05-30 10.34.18 252.jpg
Želiv_2020-05-30 10.41.12.jpg
Želiv_2020-05-30 10.56.58 416.jpg
Želiv_2020-05-30 11.18.18.jpg
Želiv_2020-05-30 11.08.18.jpg

D

Deleted member 29884

Just a free ride. But after corona abstinence it sometimes looked like a rodeo :)

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
the moon is a killer. Best to wait at least a week and try for a time slot after the sun sets, and before the moon rises.

I see next week (starting June 10ish) we get a few hours of dark as the moon starts to rise after midnight. Hopefully the clouds will also cooperate :)

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
I haven't been out to play much lately (brightwork…) but tonight I noticed a full (or nearly) moon come out after a few clouds so I thought I'd try out the 40-150+MC-20. A few notes:

1. it was still cloudy when i took these, and humid.
2. this is on a 'backpacker' tripod. Nice but maybe reaching its weight or balance limits. I did use a remote shutter though.
3. It's from a dock, so not the most stable platform. (If you see diagonal lines, they may be sailboat forestays)

I pushed the shadows and blacks on one photo to show the clouds; others are untouched (or as processed by default CC settings.) Uploading full size, LMK if you would like other data, and as always I welcome any critique.
P6060025.jpg
P6060027.jpg
P6060026.jpg

mickey

Tywais

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Rice planting in Northern Thailand plus Asian Openbill Storks having a meal there.
E-M1 Mark III and 40-150mm PRO + 2x TC.

Farmer2 Mod1.jpg
Farmer Mod1.jpg
Bird5.jpg
Bird4.jpg
Bird3.jpg
Bird2.jpg
Bird1.jpg

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
If you could do any aimed at the stars, then just a couple of shots at f/2.8 with stars across the frame, 100mm and 150mm. Doesn't matter if you wind the ISO up to 6400 or so.

Haven't forgotten about this yet :D

Finally getting back to this, after waiting a week or so for the stars to align, some rain/clouds, and getting knee-deep in brightwork. I tried some last night but I couldn't figure out the focus. I think I finally did figure it out but too late to take any shots. (it doesn't help that it stays light until after 9 and astronomical twilight isn't until 10:30.) I think I'm getting caught up with diversions though so I can start playing with this again in the coming days.

D

Deleted member 29285

Haven't forgotten about this yet :D

Finally getting back to this, after waiting a week or so for the stars to align, some rain/clouds, and getting knee-deep in brightwork. I tried some last night but I couldn't figure out the focus. I think I finally did figure it out but too late to take any shots. (it doesn't help that it stays light until after 9 and astronomical twilight isn't until 10:30.) I think I'm getting caught up with diversions though so I can start playing with this again in the coming days.

Thanks, but no rush.

For focusing I set the camera to Bulb or Time to brighten the display, then I wind the focus ring close to the infinity mark to get rough focus. Then I centre the display over a bright star, switch back to 60 seconds or something, turn on magnified view, and then fine-focus the lens. (Magnified view doesn't seem to work with Bulb or Time setting).

I have much the same problem here with weather - cloud, showers, fog. Often all in the same evening. At least it's dark enough for imaging by 7pm.
I have managed a few frames using the 75-300mm, but it is slow. To get enough exposure with that lens I need 4-minute frames, and that is a pain pushing the shutter button every 8 minutes (4 + 4-min for noise reduction). I have an intervalometer on order but there are very long shipping delays with the lock-down.
f/2.8 lenses are a blessing, only 1-minute exposures.
Cheers,

apete

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Piotr
I bought 40-150 PRO for action photography... and since then I stopped using PanaLeica macro...

P7042107.jpg

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
@3dpan …better late than never. I finally got a free evening coinciding with decent conditions: low humidity, clear skies, and late moonrise. Took a few test shots, although I'm pretty sure I don't know what I'm doing. even at 4-8 seconds it looks like I'm getting star trails. most of the shots were facing north(ish)--too far north and I get too much light polution. Think big dipper, not little dipper. Also I'm poor at focusing. I've included full exif data I think, but please feel free to comment and ask for different settings.
My goal was to photograph the clown comet (pennywise's nephew neowise?) but I got there after comet-set so I'll be back out in the coming days/weeks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mp10s/albums/72157715104601323

For those not interested in stars, here's the obligatory photo:

50114456016_c79d1e5e88_o.jpg
P7040046 by mickey p10s, on Flickr

Cheers.

mickey

Mike.K

Mu-43 Regular
A daytime visitor looking for his lunch. A nocturnal very young hedgehog,
_7160023.jpg
_7160040.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom