Showcase Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO Image Thread

3dpan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alec
I just got my MC20 so starting to play with it. Not yet very comfortable with the 40-150 lens either, so my first impressions on both are:

1. lens alone: awesome. It makes up for all my shortcomings.
2. lens+mc20: still awesome, but my shortcomings come through.

The "shortcomings" are mostly related to low-light, hand-held shots. Even in moderate light the lens performs well enough handheld, not tack-sharp but sharp enough to still afford beer compared to buying the 300/4 :D

These are all on recently cloudy/rainy days (with MC20), without too much effort put on the shot and either handheld or with a monopod. I tried to select photos taken at varying distances; they are all nearly-wide-open since it's been dark. (did I mention cloudy?)

I traded my P100-300 for this combo, so I'm eager to see how it performs against that lens and I think the 40-150+2xTC is sharper. I'll post some more well-lit shots when the sun comes back.

View attachment 826306View attachment 826307View attachment 826308View attachment 826309
Have you tried applying a little sharpening to these images ?

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
Some of them I have (not all), but I'm a bit still trying to figure out how all the settings work on sharpening. I'm using LightroomCC and my "sharpness" options include sharpening, clarity, and three different "detail"s :) I also don't know how much is a "little" and how these balance with noise reduction. These images have plenty of noise. I'm still learning, and open to any suggestions.

The "sharpening" slider for this images shows: dove at "91", the bee at "65", duck at "40", and that other bird "60". Although some of these may have been using the "auto" setting.

3dpan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alec
P.S. here's a different bee picture: same light, but maybe a little more effort on my part
That looks better.
Some of them I have (not all), but I'm a bit still trying to figure out how all the settings work on sharpening. I'm using LightroomCC and my "sharpness" options include sharpening, clarity, and three different "detail"s :) I also don't know how much is a "little" and how these balance with noise reduction. These images have plenty of noise. I'm still learning, and open to any suggestions.

The "sharpening" slider for this images shows: dove at "91", the bee at "65", duck at "40", and that other bird "60". Although some of these may have been using the "auto" setting.

I have Lightroom as part of the Photoshop CC bundle, but after becoming accustomed to PS, I find LR strange and frustrating. So I don't use LR if I can avoid it.

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
That looks better.
Thanks. I'm learning that 300mm are a lot to handhold.

after becoming accustomed to PS, I find LR strange and frustrating
I'd rather stay away from adobe if I can help it. I also don't want to spend too much time in post (I'm not philosophically against it, just lazy.) Until recently I used photos.app with some round-trips to Affinity, but that process was slow and photos.app started crashing so I'm trying out LR. I'd like to find a better process, but that's a story for another forum topic :) Maybe I'll start a thread over in the post section.

To stay on-topic, here's a shot with the lens:
P5280091 by mickey p10s, on Flickr

3dpan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alec
Thanks. I'm learning that 300mm are a lot to handhold.

I'd rather stay away from adobe if I can help it. I also don't want to spend too much time in post (I'm not philosophically against it, just lazy.) Until recently I used photos.app with some round-trips to Affinity, but that process was slow and photos.app started crashing so I'm trying out LR. I'd like to find a better process, but that's a story for another forum topic :) Maybe I'll start a thread over in the post section.

To stay on-topic, here's a shot with the lens:
View attachment 826368P5280091 by mickey p10s, on Flickr
I'm interested in how the 40-150mm behaves because it looks like I may have to buy one for my astro pics. The constant f/2.8 is very tempting. All I've got in that range now is the 75-300mm, which has nice IQ, but it is slow.

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
interested in how the 40-150mm behaves because it looks like I may have to buy one for my astro pics
I'm not much at astro--too much light around here. But I'll try a coupel of shots on a tripod tonight or tomorrow if that'll help you. Any specific images you'd like to see?

3dpan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alec
I'm not much at astro--too much light around here. But I'll try a coupel of shots on a tripod tonight or tomorrow if that'll help you. Any specific images you'd like to see?
It's very difficult to show how the lens performs with terrestrial photos. It's the pin-points of light that are the real test.
If you could do any aimed at the stars, then just a couple of shots at f/2.8 with stars across the frame, 100mm and 150mm. Doesn't matter if you wind the ISO up to 6400 or so.
I've got the 40mm end of the zoom range covered with my 12-40mm PRO.
Point towards the North Celestial pole to minimise star streaking. Maybe 30 second exposure.
Even if you can't actually see many stars, just aim upwards and hope for the best.
That would be really helpful, thanks.

Last edited:

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Found these 2 on a leaf, swaying in a breeze, in and out of focus and in and out of light and shadow. Changed to MF, this is the best of a serie of 6. Should have stopped down, for more DOF. Nevertheless happy with the effort.

Does moonlight matter? We’re about a week from full so three weeks until nearly moonless night
You can actually see stars in broad daylight.
I've done "star observations" to determine azimuths. Just need to know where to look. Quite fascinating to see this distant object twinkling at you through the scope.
Get down a well and looking up at the sky you can see stars in daylight.
Probably not the easiest or best for photography though.

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hard to get focus right of a leave in the wind.

Davidof_CR

Mu-43 Veteran
This lens never stops to surprise me with its versatility and quality

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
the moon is a killer. Best to wait at least a week and try for a time slot after the sun sets, and before the moon rises.
I see next week (starting June 10ish) we get a few hours of dark as the moon starts to rise after midnight. Hopefully the clouds will also cooperate :)

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
I haven't been out to play much lately (brightwork…) but tonight I noticed a full (or nearly) moon come out after a few clouds so I thought I'd try out the 40-150+MC-20. A few notes:

1. it was still cloudy when i took these, and humid.
2. this is on a 'backpacker' tripod. Nice but maybe reaching its weight or balance limits. I did use a remote shutter though.
3. It's from a dock, so not the most stable platform. (If you see diagonal lines, they may be sailboat forestays)

I pushed the shadows and blacks on one photo to show the clouds; others are untouched (or as processed by default CC settings.) Uploading full size, LMK if you would like other data, and as always I welcome any critique.

mickey

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom