Showcase Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO Image Thread

zulfur666

Mu-43 Veteran
Shots over the past 3 days with a variety of subjects all shot RAW and processed to varying degrees.
I love the size of the lens - the E-M1 + 40-150 combo compared to the 5D3 + 70-300L feels a lot better. So far it's a trade-off - live exposure control with quick focusing vs laser nearly 100% accurate focusing. I don't think I'm giving up much if any image quality in the sports shooting, at least for my current mostly daytime needs. A bit more shadow noise, perhaps, but balance that against me getting more accurate exposures to start with means I have to push the files less. More practice and thinking needed before I put the Canon up for sale.
Had that same Canon Combo :) gave it up over a year ago. Just too heavy to lug around a park. Just wait for the 1.4 Extender for that Oly lens and you go way beyond the Canon's reach. Try S-AF and predict where your kid will be when he hits the ball you'll get superb images and maybe use high speed shutter to get that shot when the ball just starts off flying off his foot. Practice practice practice. :)
The Oly E-M1 now with that 40-150 2.8 lens is real rewarding and confirms I made the right choice giving up Canon's beast. :) Heck I can buy 3 x E-M1's for the price I would get one 5D III ;-)
If you sell your 5D3 now it will still fetch good money, once Canon releases the successor maybe early next year you'll take a much larger hit.

Ccasey

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the feedback. Predicting where my son will be works out well when kicking a stopped ball in the backyard, but would be a much harder job during a game. I have found the single point C-AF w/ no tracking works pretty well with the E-M1 and 75 1.8, for example, so I have high hopes for this lens.

noncho

Mu-43 Rookie
A macro try...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I had better results with C-AF with tracking and my 50-200 SWD for what little it's worth. Still pondering whether it's worth losing reach to upgrade to a faster AF lens that doesn't extend though...

Ccasey

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Chris
A few more shots from today. Very slight crop on one; others untouched or cropped for 2x3 aspect.

Littlest bro got his first pair of cleats and had to try them out.

Forgot that I was shooting in shutter priority @ 1/1000 (near minimum focus distance, shooting with rear LCD)
You can see some bokeh funkiness in the flower in the near background. This was exacerbated in part by added clarity in post, but even a straight import showed a similar border. Doesn't bother me at all, but there may be some out there that don't like it.

I shot mostly 9-point C-AF today, and I did better than yesterday. For the flower I was in 9-point but couldn't get it to grab what I wanted, so a quick switch to small single point (still in C-AF) did the trick.

EMC

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eddie
Weather...

Here is some weather.......Seal Beach, looking at a sunbreak in Sunset Beach....:43:

[/URL][/IMG]

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
P1060031 by jyc860923, on Flickr

P1060050 by jyc860923, on Flickr

P1060036 by jyc860923, on Flickr

P1060093 by jyc860923, on Flickr

View attachment 396921P1060087 by jyc860923, on Flickr

P1060051 by jyc860923, on Flickr

P1060085 by jyc860923, on Flickr

P1060073 by jyc860923, on Flickr

P1060053 by jyc860923, on Flickr

M

minibokeh

Quick snapshot. Nothing special, and pushing the camera very hard: ISO 3200, +1.78 exposure (!) (~ ISO 10000)

Reason for sharing: Shot at 150mm, f/2.8. Only lens for m43 that would have allowed me to take this shot (many 6 year-olds not being that excited about pushing a lens to close to their face).

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/101667287@N08/15778499489" title="14126-215916 1 by Moritz Berger, on Flickr">View attachment 397518"768" height="1024" alt="14126-215916 1"></a>

M

minibokeh

One more in color:
<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/101667287@N08/15342302364" title="14126-215337 by Moritz Berger, on Flickr">View attachment 397519"768" height="1024" alt="14126-215337"></a>

Om-D E-M1, M-Zuiko 40-150 f/2.8 1/50", 150mm, ISO 3200, exposure +1

Real Name
Richard Correale

David A

Mu-43 All-Pro
I guess this is for the pixel peepers.

I just got my 40-150 yesterday and only got to take a few shots around the house and in my yard before a series of storms started rolling over me. This is a shot of a weed flower a couple of feet in front of my feet, taken at f/4 and at the 150mm end:

And this is what you get when you crop to just the flower:

I used auto-focus and the E-M1 nailed the flower head perfectly which is one of the things I was trying to find out. Also a bit about the depth of field and just how far I could crop images taken at the long end. I think I could be satisfied with this lens. Now if only the storms would leave for a few days so I can get out and try something more interesting than weeds for subjects.

Aniseedvan

Mu-43 Regular
A panning shot, thank you (my favourite shot with my Nikon on my flickr for motorsport)! Was this done with C-AF? Did you get a reasonable number of keepers or was the tracking not up to par?

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
But it is all weather sealed, go out and get some great storm shots.

I guess this is for the pixel peepers.

I just got my 40-150 yesterday and only got to take a few shots around the house and in my yard before a series of storms started rolling over me. This is a shot of a weed flower a couple of feet in front of my feet, taken at f/4 and at the 150mm end:

View attachment 397849

And this is what you get when you crop to just the flower:

View attachment 397850

I used auto-focus and the E-M1 nailed the flower head perfectly which is one of the things I was trying to find out. Also a bit about the depth of field and just how far I could crop images taken at the long end. I think I could be satisfied with this lens. Now if only the storms would leave for a few days so I can get out and try something more interesting than weeds for subjects.

David A

Mu-43 All-Pro
But it is all weather sealed, go out and get some great storm shots.
It's weather sealed but I'm not, and our thunder storms here at this time of year often have hail, hail the size of your fist in the worst cases. We had a bad storm a fortnight ago and the damage bill here in Brisbane is expected to go around the billion dollar mark, Aussie dollars that is. Still that's close to $840 million US and that's damage from one storm with houses unroofed and demolished and trees uprooted. These aren't the storms you want to be out in, not when hail damage alone can write a car off, and if the hail can write a car off I suspect it can also write a camera and lens off and it could definitely write me off.

I take your point about weather sealing but there are storms and there are storms :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom