Showcase Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO Image Thread

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1050364 by jyc860923, on Flickr
G5 40mm f/2.8 ISO 160 1/1250s

P1050348 by jyc860923, on Flickr
G5 70mm f/2.8 ISO 160 1/2000s

P1050271 by jyc860923, on Flickr
G5 115mm f/2.8 ISO 400 1/2000s

P1050300 by jyc860923, on Flickr
G5 150mm f/2.8 ISO 160 1/640s

P1050311 by jyc860923, on Flickr
G5 150mm f/2.8 ISO 160 1/1600s

We were out help shooting a proposal video for my friend, I brought only the G5 and this lens and did well for the event.

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
After all the debate about how this lens would preform for subject isolation for portraits, I'd say that question is answered! Look's as good as I had expected it to be!

nstelemark

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Larry
I got a chance to try the lens at Hunts and it is really impressive. Very light and compact and very fast focusing. I asked the the rep point blank if it was better than the 150f2 and he dodged well by answering "it is different". It is certainly a viable replacement for the 50-200 in my mind. It is hard to believe how small and light it is unless you hold it. Much smaller then the 50-200. I'll post a couple of bad test shots in a bit.

zulfur666

Mu-43 Veteran
Did not see there was already an image thread
I received my lens today (USA) and treated myself to another toy :smile: see photos

E-M1 40mm f/4.0 1/320s ISO 100

E-M1 40mm f/4.0 1/320s ISO 100

E-M1 150mm f/2.8 1/500s ISO 100

Rasmus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I got a chance to try the lens at Hunts and it is really impressive. Very light and compact and very fast focusing. I asked the the rep point blank if it was better than the 150f2 and he dodged well by answering "it is different". It is certainly a viable replacement for the 50-200 in my mind. It is hard to believe how small and light it is unless you hold it. Much smaller then the 50-200. I'll post a couple of bad test shots in a bit.
The comparison I would like to see is the 40-150 + MC-14 vs the 90-250/2.8. Hopefully OzRay will get his hands on one soon. :)

DougVaughn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Doug Vaughn
Here's a set from the Battle of Franklin re-enactment yesterday. I really enjoyed the lens on the first day out. Focus was quick and accurate, and I'm sure the non-keepers were the fault of the photographer rather than the lens. Everything in the set is f/3.5 or f/4 and ISO200.

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
Hi Doug

Your images are absolutely amazing, what profile did you use in LR?

This lens is one of the best focusing lenses in our system, however I believe there's always space for improvement (or is it much better with the EM1 than other bodies?)

m43happy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just a test shot. Handheld at 1/6s! Love the IBIS of the E-M1. Rest of the exif: f/2.8, iso500, shot at 150mm. Slightly bumped up exposure and shadows in LR. I'll be shooting an event with it next weekend so I'll be able to put it through it's paces then. :smile:

100% crop around the middle where I was focusing (on the "1:1.8" area to be exact).

Already loving this lens. :hail: <-- Didn't realize there were a lot more smilies to use. lol

DougVaughn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Doug Vaughn
I created both sunny and overcast profiles for the E-M1 using a ColorChecker Passport and the provided software, but I find that Adobe's "Camera Natural" profile isn't bad. I played with all kinds of options to give these a subdued color or completely black & white look to fit the subject matter. If there's something you like, I will be glad to share the Lightroom settings.

Hi Doug

Your images are absolutely amazing, what profile did you use in LR?

This lens is one of the best focusing lenses in our system, however I believe there's always space for improvement (or is it much better with the EM1 than other bodies?)

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
I created both sunny and overcast profiles for the E-M1 using a ColorChecker Passport and the provided software, but I find that Adobe's "Camera Natural" profile isn't bad. I played with all kinds of options to give these a subdued color or completely black & white look to fit the subject matter. If there's something you like, I will be glad to share the Lightroom settings.
Hi Doug

will be very happy to have your LR settings though I'm using different cameras, the info could be very useful.

I like the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th and 9th a lot:happy-084:

zulfur666

Mu-43 Veteran
Some more from this weekend. Unfortunately was hard to get a clear shot through the bushes..
ISO 100 f/2.8 1/800s 150mm

ISO 100 f/3.2 1/640s 150mm

Ccasey

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Chris
Shots over the past 3 days with a variety of subjects all shot RAW and processed to varying degrees.

Indoor, static subject, very low light. Uncropped, f/2.8.

Outdoor, tightly zoomed, slow moving subjects. Uncropped, or cropped to 2x3.

Outdoor, faster moving subject. All C-AF, no tracking - some small single point and some 9-point - experimentation for me. Mostly cropped to some extent.

I found it very challenging to keep a close and quick-ish moving subject focused in the frame at the tele end. If the focus missed it tended to jump way out and then take a while to get back. That was yesterday, when I was shooting a single small point and C-AF. I don't know that I tried the same thing today. Maybe I just need more practice.

I love the size of the lens - the E-M1 + 40-150 combo compared to the 5D3 + 70-300L feels a lot better. So far it's a trade-off - live exposure control with quick focusing vs laser nearly 100% accurate focusing. I don't think I'm giving up much if any image quality in the sports shooting, at least for my current mostly daytime needs. A bit more shadow noise, perhaps, but balance that against me getting more accurate exposures to start with means I have to push the files less. More practice and thinking needed before I put the Canon up for sale.

faithblinded

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Wow great samples all around. I just got my lens a few days ago and thought I'd share my sample shots here. All with the E-M1. Challenging light indoors at the zoo, and a few cityscape shots of a steelyard:

40mm:

100mm:

150mm:

Full gallery on my site: http://kenphoto.smugmug.com/Olympus-40-150mm-28-sample-shots/

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom